Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2000, 13:01 (Ref:41630)   #1
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricardo Zonta has signed a contract to be Jordans test driver in 2001.

Full story on http://www.f1racing.net
Old 7 Oct 2000, 13:09 (Ref:41631)   #2
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange choice I think. If he had the option of testing the Mclaren, why go for a testing role at Jordan instead? Anything to do with Honda?
Old 7 Oct 2000, 20:25 (Ref:41671)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I wondered the same thing. So who is testing for McLaren? Because I heard that Alex Wurz was holding out for a drive somewhere.
Old 8 Oct 2000, 16:21 (Ref:41807)   #4
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Wurz was going somewhere else too, but apparently he has now been confirmed at McLaren for 2001.
Old 9 Oct 2000, 03:08 (Ref:41876)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't Panis going to be McLarens test driver on a million dollar contraft? How many test drivers do you need??
Old 9 Oct 2000, 10:39 (Ref:41933)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
No Mate, Panis is racing this year. However, I think Zonta is going the wrong direction, because he would have been closer to the winners at McLaren, and if for any reason one of the drivers could not drive, he would have had a glorious seat and chance to make the podium. Panis did it for one year, and he will do very well next year.
Old 9 Oct 2000, 11:18 (Ref:41942)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, I'll pay attention from now on
Old 10 Oct 2000, 10:14 (Ref:42113)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone should warn Ricardo about the infamous Jordan Stalkers - Jarno and HHF are already scared of us...

Old 10 Oct 2000, 13:49 (Ref:42162)   #9
garcia
Rookie

garcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be a good move for Zonta. Trulli only has one more year on his contract and after that he will be definitely snatched by Flavio who has Trulli under contract. So I do not think this is a bad move for Zonta but probably a bad move for Jordan because I don't think he is up to much. However Zonta not being the best F1 driver, he definitely might be the wisest because he see's like I do in the potential of the Jordan Team. Everyone musn't forget that he has continuously seen a yellow Jordan either miles infront of him or lapping him this year and being like all F1 drivers he is 100% confident in his own ability as a driver and as a result his bad performance must of been because of the poor BAR car he was supplied with this year But wait a second didn't BAR have the works Honda engine and didn't Jordan have the aging and historic Mugen engine to whom the word speed and development does not come into play- you couldn't tell by the performances on the track with Villeneuve or Zonta rarily outqualifying Frentzen and Trulli that Jordan had the diasdvantaged engine. So what did this tell Zonta yes thats right it told him that BAR were a slack outfit who couldn't even outperform the Jordan who are recognised as having one of the slowest engines in formula 1 this year with the Mugen- it was recorded as 6th fastest engine and it also told Zonta that bloody heck the Jordan has a brillant chasis and with a works Honda deal for the next 5 years that Jordan could easily break into the top two teams sooner rather than later. Yes that's right another 5 years with the works Honda engine and what about BAR's contract I do believe they have only another year with Honda, it was only a 2 year contract- is Mr Pollock feeling the nerves-was his team only used as guinea pigs to allow Honda settle back into F1 and then disperse when they got the engine up to speed to a BETTER team-I do think so. If I asked you which circuits you think shows the true capability of the cars design, chasis and driver you would probably say Belgium and Monaco- so cast your minds back to this years grid at both those races- yes on both occasions you would be looking at a Jordan on the front row- Trulli qualified second both times in Belgium and Monaco the two ultimate tracks proving the true class of not only Trulli but of the Jordan chasis and car-remind me again when Zonta or even Villeneuve were this close to the front of the grid in their BAR's. You might of have forgotten this point but obviously Zonta didn't- so is he making a mistake in choosing to be Jordans test driver- I don't think so.
Old 10 Oct 2000, 14:16 (Ref:42165)   #10
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this story any more than speculation?

I checked the link in the first post and didn't see any stories about Zonta joining Jordan (though this might be me being useless). Even so, I haven't picked it up from any of the other usual sources, so I'm a bit sceptical. As for whether its a good move or not, what would you choose given the decision being between a Jordan or a McLaren?
Old 10 Oct 2000, 16:18 (Ref:42179)   #11
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early on in the Japanese GP weekend, the announcement was made that the Jordan team signed on the services of BAR driver, Ricardo Zonta to conduct testing duties for the team in the 2001 season.

Eddie Jordan commented with: "I am delighted to have Ricardo back with our team. He was an exciting talent before, and now he has added experience to go with it, which will be hugely important to Jordan as the team doubles its testing efforts in order to mount a championship challenge. Ricardo will be very busy next year!"

In turn Zonta added: "Returning to Jordan and staying involved with Honda is the ideal situation for me to build my experience. Of course I would like to race, but I am happy to be a part of building Jordan-Honda into a winning team."

From Autorace.com

If I was going to choose, I'd choose Mclaren, especially if I had Zonta's talent (his Mercedes sportscar days shouldn't be overlooked) - he could show the world how quick he is (as Panis did this year) and pick up a competitve drive somewhere, maybe even Mclaren if Mika retires. It would also do his confidence no end of good to have a good, proven car.

Old 10 Oct 2000, 20:16 (Ref:42215)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
It won't be on f1racing.net anymore because after a few days they take the old news stories off. I read that article when it was online though.