Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Mar 2003, 23:13 (Ref:522882)   #101
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following the debate about my tag on the F3 in the 70's thread I guess I had better formally introduce myself! My name is Chris Rivett and I have been an avid follower of all things motor sport related since my very early years. My first racing memories were as a spectator at Combe in the mid 60's as a 12 year old, cycling the 7 or so miles from home to see the action. Holidays abroad always seemed to encompass motor sport for me, although my parents were not keen on encouraging me to participate, however we did visit the Nordscleife and drove round it in a Vauxhall Victor estate as well as Monza, complete with roof rack fitted! I started to marshal at 15, and that was my lot until I bought a Mallock Mk18 in 1989 and started to sprint and hillclimb mainly in the BARC series. The Mallock went in 1997 when my son, Matthew became 17 and we bought a Van Diemen RF89 FF1600 which I sprinted and he raced. He became far more accomplished than me, winning the Castle Combe FF1600 Class B championship in 2001. Last year we bought the ex-Didier Stoessel/Anthony Davidson Ray GR97 FF1600 car which I have hardly touched, but which Matthew has again been quick in. So that is me, out at last as they say!!!
Old 3 Mar 2003, 03:19 (Ref:523114)   #102
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This here is Bryan Cobb. I'm 20 years of age, yet have been following motorsports since I can remember. I got the racing bug from my father who was a crew chief on a injected nitro dragster in the late 60's early 70's, so it runs in the family.
Pretty much all forms of motorsports interest me, even more so their histories. I spend way too much time looking into F1 and sportscar history, some of my grades in other studies may show that! Waking up at 4:00am every other weekend to watch F1 is hard to do, but I enjoy it none the less. I guess I'm a racing junkie!
Old 3 Mar 2003, 08:04 (Ref:523236)   #103
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi my name is Simon Drabble and I have been racing for a reletively short time, 4 years. Having started with 70's Roadsports series run by HSCC in an Alfa 2000 (105 Series) I now race an FIA Alfa Guilia Sprint GT in mostly endurance races but also the occassional HSCC HRSR round and new to this season I will be racing Lotus 11 Le Mans in BRDC 50 Sportscar Championship and Gentleman Drivers series. For me 50s and 60s are the golden eras. My season kicks off in 3 weeks at Silverstone and I cant wait as it is always a long winter away from racing!
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:40 (Ref:523345)   #104
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good luck Simon - winters are long aren't they?
Old 3 Mar 2003, 13:23 (Ref:523421)   #105
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
too long but they say absence makes the heart grow fonder! I am itching to try out the new toy so counting the days before 21st testing at Silverstone ahead of a double header opening 2 rounds of BRDC on the Sunday
Old 3 Mar 2003, 14:29 (Ref:523495)   #106
Danster
Rookie

Danster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All, I'm Dan, 26 live near Manchester. Been into racing as long as I can remember but mainly modern stuff..until recently! A good friend of mine is well into Historic Racing and is good friends with Barrie "Whizzo" Williams, after spending some time with these guys I now have a lot more time for classics, the racing is far better! All being well I'll be going to the Goodwood Revival for the first time this year which I'm really looking forward to.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 15:45 (Ref:523541)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Try getting to some of the CTCRC meetings to. you'll see a great array of Historics, post historics Group 1 and 2 cars. Also the HSCC runs a good championship.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 18:18 (Ref:523668)   #108
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My name really is Glyn Parham and I am 45 years young and currently live in the Medway towns. Only last night I posted my first race meeting on the site, so you will be able to read about how I got started there.
My interests are Touring cars, World Rallying, and the vast majority of world motorsport. I also build 1/43 scale models of Touring & rally cars for both myself and friends.
One of my main reasons for using this sight was to find photos and memories of the 60's & 70's British Touring Car Championship, me thinks I struck lucky first time.
It has been a great pleasure to read so many interesting items on this and other threads. I will be keeping a watch on future developments and will definitely be asking plenty of questions about this period in future
Old 4 Mar 2003, 06:39 (Ref:524164)   #109
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi Glyn,

I worked at the Isle of Grain Power Station in the 70's and spent a few weekends at Brands Hatch. At the time Gordon Spice and Andy Rouse ruled the BTCC with Whizzo and Tony L giving chase. Remeber REx Greenslade in the first of the SD1 Rovers?

Until recently I lived not far from Gerry Marshall and could spend a pleasant hour or two listening to his stories in our local pub. That's if my liver could stand the pace!

Like you I like the 60's and 70's Touring Cars and if you pop over to my website you can see my current racer. (It may look familiar).

You can also see all those cars at the CTCRC race meetings, one of which is at Brands Hatch in May (17/18) I think.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 11:23 (Ref:524338)   #110
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks

Suzanne Peedell here (see, I DO look in here Tim). Age 26 and love cars of all types (racing or road-going). Got interested thanks to my daddy and his side of the family (all of whom worked/still work at Cowley - hence the road-going affection) and my mummy (blame her for the racing affection) who then regretted her daughter's love of things that go vroom-vroom when she realised how expensive this hobby would be. she changed her mind when she started coming to races with me and we wreak havoc at Silverstone during the summer.

In the meantime, I still do some unofficial online PR-work for Mika Hakkinen (who does approve of it and is always extremely helpful, friendly and cooperative) and wrote for the Ten-Tenths newsletter (although I've not contributed in a long while owing to total lack of time and writers block). Have also found myself at circuits other than Silverstone - thanks to Tim D, Maisie and Chris Y - at all sorts of odd times of the year (by jove, Silverstone in December and February is even colder than in summer - which I didn't think was possible) and will probably be at more this year.

I'm going to own a mini farm when I grow up which will be made up of lots of minis, Peril (he's my MG), all of Maisie and Chris' cars, plus anything else Maisie and I get our hands on. I reckon we'll need a small continent to house them all on.

Last edited by Suzy; 4 Mar 2003 at 11:24.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 11:38 (Ref:524360)   #111
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Everyone,

I'm Kevin Turner and I'm 21 so I don't have anything like the experience of some of you guys (and girls). However, I have - according to people that know me - been obsessed with cars and Motor Racing since I was old enough to know what was going on. I'm interested in anything on wheels really - I've been to VCSS metings, World Sportscar events, HSCC events etc. My favourite event is probably the Goodwood Revival Meeting which I attend every year.

I am hoping to be a Racing Journalist and have written historic and club racing reports for Autosport during the last couple of Summers. I'd also love to own a Porsche 917 but have yet to find a pot of Gold and almost certainly wouldn't be able to drive it anyway!

I am currently at York University studying History, but wihshing that the course included some race action!!
Old 4 Mar 2003, 12:56 (Ref:524434)   #112
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello,
im Martin Davis,
i've been going to Snetterdon for as long as i can remember and have so far i have also made it to Knockhill, Malory Park, Cadwell Park, Thruxton and Anglesey. i also hope to make it to croft this year.
i'm hoping to do begin a degree in Motorsport engineering and design in the next couple of years.
i am also applying to become a Marshall.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 20:22 (Ref:538303)   #113
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,
Having been posting here for a fortnight, I came across this thread and felt I should introduce myself (suggestion - make it a hot thread that always stays on top.) By the way, how can you get to threads beyond the first page?

I am Duncan Rollo
I would describe myself as a 55 year old armchair enthusiast living in Coulsdon.
I grew up in Kenya where easter meant Safari time. Such was the interest that the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation would broadcast a full progress report every twhree hours or so. By full I mean the lateness of all competitors, who was out and why, and most important in the context of the Safari - weather and road conditions.
As well as the Safari we had racing at the Nakuru track - four meetings a year mixed cars and bikes. There were also hillclimbs at two or three different venues, but I hardly went to any of them.
With such a lack of live motor racing I was an avid reader of Motor Sport and still revere DSJ and his disciples.
I collect 1/43 model cars and I am trying to collect every world champion - driver and manufacturer. Mainly diecasts (Brumm, Minichamps, Quartzo, Onyx, etc) but I am now into white metal kits to fill the last 12 or so gaps. I am currently struggling with the 8 pieces needed to make the rear wing of a Tameo McLaren MP4. the smallest is about 3mm long and I can hardly even see the bl**dy thing, let alone fit it in the right place with my ten thumbs.
Amongst my first motor racing memories is watching local champion driver John manussis winning at Nakuru, driving a D-Type Jaguar - hence the ID

Last edited by D-Type; 16 Mar 2003 at 20:23.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 22:53 (Ref:538427)   #114
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello D-Type!

To view the older threads scroll to the bottom of the Historic Racing and Racing History page and you should see a small panel allowing you to select how far back you wish to view threads! You can go right back to the start if you so choose!
Old 31 Mar 2003, 14:42 (Ref:553817)   #115
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi...my name is Paul Sands,I'm 40 and have been going to circuits as long as I can remember.
In 1977 & 1978 I was the pit board boy for Fank Sytner during his FF2000 & Sports 2000 (Champion) campaigns.
I drifted away a bit once I hit my late teens probably making a trip to a GP and the BTCC at Donington annually.
Last seasons snoozefest of an F1 season prompted me to go buy a camera and start revisiting my roots..which I have to admit was the best decision I've made in years. My three year old daughter is my constant companion, which makes Mallory Park by far the most popular destination (due to the fact that it has swings and a climbing frame/slide...apparently I played with Damon Hill on the slides there back in the 60's but I cant remember )
This year we have a full calendar planned and will be attending a wide range of races from 750MC to CART and F1.
Mallory, Donington & Cadwell will probably be the most visited.

Last edited by PaulSands; 31 Mar 2003 at 14:44.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 16:12 (Ref:553931)   #116
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello Paul, welcome aboard!

Sounds like you've a few good stories tucked away there!
Old 31 Mar 2003, 17:56 (Ref:554006)   #117
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
Hi...my name is Paul Sands,I'm 40 and have been going to circuits as long as I can remember.
In 1977 & 1978 I was the pit board boy for Fank Sytner during his FF2000 & Sports 2000 (Champion) campaigns.
Hi Paul, welcome.
We have very similar paths! Back in 77 /78 I was pit board boy at Royale in FF1600 and a couple of times for Rad Dougall in their works FF2000 car.
Please can you confirm the following?
Frank at the time was driving for Ken Hensley Racing in FF2000 or 'Super Ford' as we called it then, was he not? His team mates were Ken, (who was keyboard player of the rock band 'Uriah Heep'
and Ian Taylor. They were all orange Dulon's if my memory serves me correctly?
Frank then drove a Howett Printing sponsored Sports 2000 Lola T492 in S2000?
Happy days!
Old 31 Mar 2003, 22:15 (Ref:554289)   #118
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Andrew .. yeah I remember Rad Dougall...he had a certain Mr Rory Byrne with him at the time didnt he, designer of the Royales
I first met Frank at Mallory when he was with Ken Hensley Racing (I was actully a huge Uriah Heep fan so it was a dream come true) he was racing alongside Ian Taylor and Ken himself ocasionally raced.
I think it was the following season (77?) where Frank and Rad went head to head...Frank was racing the Foxwood Sytner Dulon and had the better of the first part of the season but Rad soon started to dominate...there were two championships running werent there I seem to recall Frank was in the running in one of them right to the end? could be wrong there of course. Good year that one..I even got farmed out one race at Snetterton to help Geoff Friswell (The Whizz) cos he had nobody with him that day Frank switched to a Royale midway as it was evident that the Dulon was being roundly beaten.
I thought it was geat the following year when Rad won the opening round of the European F2 championship at Thruxton.
Sports 2000 was definitely a Howitt Printing Lola I thought it was a T490 but again I could be wrong there...the main protaganists that season were Frank, John Trevelyan, Chris Alford and John Webb...again he switched cars mid season from Lola to Tiga as he was beginning to loose his advantage. He had a pretty bad smash in testing at Mallory that year..was cut up by an FF1600 going into the esses and destroyed his car leaving him with broken ribs...crashed on the Wednesday but still raced at Mallory on the Sunday...the race was won by Paul Haywood with a decidely bent engine

Howitt Racing also sponsored a class B Clubmans that year for Gary Ferriman..he was racing against Nick Linney who spookily enough is now one of Franks big rivals in Historic Sports cars....I'll shut up now I'm rambling
I caught with Frank & Nick for the first time in about 22 years a couple of Sundays back at the BRDC Historics at Silverstone