Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2644353)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thirteenth slot up for grabs for 2011

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre.../f1_teams.aspx

Quote:
The USF1 Team have indicated that they will not be in a position to participate in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship. Having considered the various options, the FIA confirms that it is not possible for a replacement team to be entered for the Championship at this late stage.
In the coming days the FIA will announce details of a new selection process to identify candidates to fill any vacancies existing at the start of the 2011 season.
This would presumably be the thirteenth slot. Any thoughts about who will come up this time, or who we would like to get it?
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2644362)   #2
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want USF1 to get it. They should have clarified months back that they were not going to be able to compete and then Stefan could have put a stronger case forward.

I hope Stefan get the slot next season.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2644363)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is absolute blx. Stefan are ready to go. Madness.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2644364)   #4
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Toyota aren't going to design a car next year to give to Stefan. I want to see a proper team like Prodrive or Lola get in.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2644365)   #5
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Didn't prodrive want to use a customer car previously?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2644367)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure if Stefan would have the ability to keep on working on cars for 2010 or 2011. I'd like to see someone like Lola, Mygale (partnering with DAMS?), Panoz, Dome (it would be nice to have a Japanese team in F1 now Toyota and Honda are gone) or Prodrive get the nod.

Prodrive did initially want to run a customer McLaren, but I feel sure they could design and build an F1 car on their own, and would probably be in a better position to do that than Stefan GP, who have been recently cobbled together, largely.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2644368)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Lets hope that the selection process for 2011 actually chooses the best team rather than the team willing to play political games.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2644380)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All I ask for is someone who can build car, OK
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2644382)   #9
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Does anyone have a list of which parties applied for an entry this coming season?

Brilliant
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2644388)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I think there were thirteen or so
  • Formtechn, entering as Brabham, to be based out the old Super Aguri place.
  • Epsilon Euskadi
  • Lola
  • Litespeed F3/Lotus
  • March Racing Organization, as in Andrew Fitton
  • myf1dream.com, a team that woiuld have been run like Ebbsfleet United
  • N Technology
  • Prodrive
  • Stefan GP without Toyota, designed to be built by aircraft and other stuff builders AMCO
  • Superfund
  • Supposedly, Sky Sport Italia

There would be two more than that, then.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2644399)   #11
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to the FIA for doing the sensible thing - maybe Todt will be good for the sport?
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2644408)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There were 15 applicants. There was 1 more on top of that list which is unknown - speculation would point towards iSport, Carlin, Status Grand Prix, another American team (Luczo Dragon or Rahal-related perhaps)
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2644409)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I distinctly remember hearing Paul Jackson from iSport saying that they didn't enter on Five Live, but please don't quote me on that. Status did make noises about wanting to do it, IIRC.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2644422)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On one hand it seems daft to turn away Stefan GP, who apparently are ready to go.

But there are rules to getting an entry and we can't have a precedent set whereby if perhaps a team in the future is in financial trouble a prospective team comes knocking at the door pressuring the authorities into giving them an entry.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2644439)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
agreed, no interest in seeing Stefan GP make the grid at such a late hour nor do i see how their inclusion can make this any more exciting of a season. in some ways this reminds me of Minardi trying to sue their way onto the 2005? grid.

have they even passed or been invited to any FIA crash tests. i suppose most of the scrutineering can be done during the first race, but i feel that all this will just distract from what promises to be a very exciting weekend by competitors who all worked very hard according to a very strict sporting and tech. code.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2644445)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think the FIA has done the right thing for once.

I am slightly ambivalent regarding the whole Stefan situation. Yes, I would love to see two more cars on the grid, as more cars = more racing = more interest. However I want to see the right cars on the grid, not some two-bit operation in the sport for all the wrong reasons.

I think opening up the application process is the right choice, however upon doing so, what teams do people think will re-apply? Will Lola, NTech, Prodrive or any of the other failed applicants lodge an entry after they have already been turned down once?

As I have said in a previous thread, I would be happy for any of the above teams I have mentioned to be in F1, even Panoz or some other operation would be welcome, I think as long as they have a history, a motorsport pedigree and will add prestige to the grid. I don't really like the startup-teams, but those are my own personal preferrences. My own choice would be to have Prodrive in, probably under the Aston Martin guise.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2644459)   #17
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A number of the applicants for 2010 faded when the budget cap died.While I would be inclined to allow Stefan to compete,subject to passing the crash tests,it would have to be on the basis that they would only be allowed back for 2011 if they could demonstrate an ability to design and build a car.Why not have a return to prequalifying,it will allow those sidelined by resource restriction agreements to continue to work in F1.The slowest cars don't make the race and the traditional back markers won't be complacent if there is real opposition.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2644470)   #18
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Murphy the Bear has explained, there never was any chance that Stefan F1 would be allowed on the grid in 2010. Nor is it likely it will in 2011 as long as their plan is to compete with the remnants of the Toyota program.

Regardless of Ken Anderson's fantasies, USF1 will not return in any form at any time. I wish it were otherwise, but it is not.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 02:37 (Ref:2644539)   #19
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think i read that Bernie was quoted as saying they were going to investigate the viability of Stefan GP, to make sure they could in fact operate for the sesaon, and make a decision based on this.

I cant remember the quote or where i read it (in the past day or so) so i cant link to it, but it said something along the lines of "we cannot afford them to fall over / fail if they are granted entry"...

so if this is correct, then the FIA have investigated the business structure and model of Stefan GP, and have deemed that it's not up to scratch.

It's a pity, as i would have liked to see the toyota designed f1 cars running, rather than have their efforts see no track time, but it is better than having more sagas of poorly run teams / businesses in f1.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 04:52 (Ref:2644572)   #20
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A breath of fresh air the FIA have done the right thing. There seem to have been more decisions made by grown ups on the basis of rational thought since Max went away. I almost think we may be entering a period of competent governance by the FIA for the first time since Balestre got the presidency.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 05:28 (Ref:2644580)   #21
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
But Toyota aren't going to design a car next year to give to Stefan. I want to see a proper team like Prodrive or Lola get in.
Lola isnt a proper team. Infact, Lola doesnt even have a team. They are a manufactorer only
Old 4 Mar 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2644627)   #22
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If VW are genuinely interested, it's no constest for me. Let them in.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 08:12 (Ref:2644637)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I'm a bit bummed we won't have the full 26 car grid this year I'm not that surprised StefanGP didn't get the final spot. I have a feeling background politics, given the Toyota connection, is the real reason they didn't get it though.

Here's hoping either ProDrive or N.Technology applies for a 2011 spot and gets it.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2644656)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
agreed, no interest in seeing Stefan GP make the grid at such a late hour nor do i see how their inclusion can make this any more exciting of a season. in some ways this reminds me of Minardi trying to sue their way onto the 2005? grid.
It was Phoenix Finance in 2003, who had the remnants of Prost - complete with year old cars, and four year old Hart engines (this was pre-freeze, remember).
Old 4 Mar 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2644658)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah Minardi had a similar episode in 2005 didn't they.. Turned up with their 2004 PS03 cars demanding to use them, which was granted albeit de-tuned, I believe.

Selby