Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2751811)   #1
Roths
Rookie

Roths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel's Driving Standards. What do you think?

Today was yet another example of Seb Vet getting things wrong. I have watched all this season how he has barged people off the track and like today, has destroyed people's races. Is it time for the FIA to pull him aside and say "look, calm it down"

I feel he is becoming a bit of a liability on the track but am interested to see what you guys think. Is he dangerous or just unlucky??
Old 29 Aug 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2751821)   #2
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is very young and rated very highly. The pressure must be pretty high. I think he is just trying very hard, a bit too hard. And he has paid the price with the points he has lost during the season. I wouldn't go as far as to say he is a liability. I mean we can expect a few collisions during a F1 season.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2751822)   #3
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Weirdly, as A Button supporter, I thought Vettel was a bit unlucky to punt JB out. Pulled out a bit too violently I suppose, but was caught out by the rain, big tank slapper, thud. Accidental, should have been more gentle, and a bit unlucky.

He does seem a little too aggressive at times though, when it isn't really necessary. Needs to take a chill pill - the same one LH has taken this year would do.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2751828)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
1987: Vettel was born
2003: Formula BMW ADAC (2nd)
2004: Formula BMW ADAC (1st)
2005: F3 Euroseries (5th), 3rd at Macau
2006: F3 Euroseries (2nd), 6th at Macau
2007: FR 3.5 (5th with just 7 / 17 races), F1 (8th in debut at Indianapolis with BMW Sauber, 4th at China with Toro Rosso)
2008: F1 (8th at Toro Rosso)
2009: F1 (2nd at Red Bull)
2010: F1 (currently 3rd at Red Bull)

His career is certainly impressive. But when you jump to F1 with just ten races above F3 level, it's not surprising that he's still lacking in some aspects. Drivers need at least three full seasons in GP3 / FR 3.5 / GP2 if they want to be properly trained for F1.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2751837)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Vettel was just a bit unlucky really. Same with Rubens. If Button had not have been there, Vettel would have just spun off onto the run off, or maybe into the barrier. It was Vettel avoiding the back of Button's car which made him spin I believe, as I think Button perhaps braked earlier, or at least earlier than Vettel thought.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2751862)   #6
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always rated him lower than many people. He's quick in clean air, but his overtaking is generally poor. I mean, he went to take the inside line when Jenson had already made it perfectly clear he intended to go on the inside, which is why he suddenly needed to take evasive. Boggles the mind.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2751868)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Seb is a great pilot no doubt about it, today he was just unlucky the car got away from him..
Old 29 Aug 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2751870)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
His driving standards are decreasing rapidly
Old 29 Aug 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2751873)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Weirdly, as A Button supporter, I thought Vettel was a bit unlucky to punt JB out. Pulled out a bit too violently I suppose, but was caught out by the rain, big tank slapper, thud. Accidental, should have been more gentle, and a bit unlucky.

He does seem a little too aggressive at times though, when it isn't really necessary. Needs to take a chill pill - the same one LH has taken this year would do.
Jenson said two things and they weren't in the heat of the moment. The first was that it was bone dry when Vettel took him out and the second that the McLarens are very good under braking, so it wasn't a question of him braking earlier than expected.

Misjudgement, pure and simple, by Vettel.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2751882)   #10
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His aggresive style reminds me of a young Michael Schumacher. It certainly helped him in later years as nobody wanted to get in his way, the arrival of somebody behind with a red crash helmet meant move over or be punted out of the way. Is this the arrival of TGF2?
Old 29 Aug 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2751885)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
His driving standards are decreasing rapidly

I don't agree at all..

Today we saw a racing incident.. I know he received a drive through, not the right call in my opinion..
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2751906)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Should've been DQ'd for reckless driving, imo.
Would be smart to resolve this troublesome issue, before he becomes TGF Part Deux, albeit a very clumsy and overrated one.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2751908)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Should've been DQ'd for reckless driving, imo.
Would be smart to resolve this troublesome issue, before he becomes TGF Part Deux, albeit a very clumsy and overrated one.
Okay I respect your opinion but do you want these guys to race or what?
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2751910)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Ofcourse not.
Actual racing is too much excitement for me.

I prefer merry-go-rounds.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2751914)   #15
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holy overreactions, Batman.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2751918)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Amaturish
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2751928)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Interesting question but in reality if you take someone out and destroy their chances while trying to get past them and its ALL your fault what other equitable penalty is there other than a DQ?

Fortunately his attempts at recovery were a mess and he effectively DQ'ed himself.

I don't think Vettel is a poor driver. I just think that there is a lack of emotional maturity that is reflected in his ability to handle the pressure of being a championship contender at this stage in his career.

He has never won a championship since winning in his second season of Formula BMW nor has he battled throughout a complete championship season in senior cars before being elevated to F1.
Being Red Bull's golden boy may have built up his expectations, believing his press, or actually putting too much pressure on himself, and what where seeing is the impetuous-ness Hamilton showed a little of in his first and second years.

His team management needs to settle him down, forget the championship pressure and just teach him to drive on the day. Webber has showed far more maturity under pressure (although the start at Spa was &%$#?) in general this season but he had seasons at Minardi, Jaguar and Williams before landing at Red Bull.

It shows.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2751931)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Race, yes.

Crashin' ain't racin'.

Vettel is too fast for his own good, he's too anxious to make his mark. He needs to chillax a little. He could turn into a Scheckter, i.e. tempers a natural speed in favour of racecraft and intelligence, or a Regazzoni, too eager to crash rather than be beaten...
Old 29 Aug 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2751937)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Good post Terentoga..I can not defend his actions apart from saying that I think the car just snapped away from him today, why I am not sure, damp track maybe?

Which is why I see this *one* as a racing incident, the accident with Webber I thought was completely his fault.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2751942)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe I need to see it again but I feel as though he should have gotten a DQ after clipping Luizzi.
Teretonga's comments about Vettle lacking experience in a tight championship ring true for me as he very much came across today as a driver who is seeing his title hopes slip away and acting a little desperate.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2751943)   #21
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good post and I can defend his actions apart from saying that I think the car just snapped away from him today, why I am not sure, damp track maybe?

Which is why I see this *one* as a racing incident, the accident with Webber I thought was completely his fault.
This is why I'm critical of the move. There was nothing much he could do once the car got away from him, but the reason why it did was because he was a complete prat. He was trying to have a look down the inside of Jenson into the chicane. Which is fine, in principle, but he tried to do it when there wasn't actually a gap.

I don't even see that kind of mistake racing karts! You can't go past someone when there isn't space, but Vettel seemed to want to give it a go anyway. The end result was he finally realized it wasn't going to work and had to swerve to the outside to try and avoid a crash, and that swerve made him lose control.

Taking out Jenson was just bad luck and I don't want to suggest for a second there was any intent in it. But the race craft he showed was simply awful, worse even than against Mark in Istanbul. That one was just an impetuous misjudgement, not actual stupidity
Old 29 Aug 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2751975)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
maybe I need to see it again but I feel as though he should have gotten a DQ after clipping Luizzi.
Whilst not denying Vettel had his plonkerish moments I dont believe the Liuzzi incident was anything but 100% down to Liuzzi.... 'Tonio perhaps being too anxious to get back under Vettel, who had to all intents and purposes passed him.

On your rating it would suggest that Schumacher should have been dsq'd for slicing into Rosberg when MS misjudged his passing move and cut across Rosberg's path damaging Nico's wing.

As for Vettel, he has made a couple of errors of judgement, something most drivers do in their formative years. Lets not forget his Aussie teamate up until the last year of his Williams tenure had a higher career crash rate than Sato.

Having said that Seb does need to perhaps chill out a bit.

I think todays problem was perhaps more a top gear that was too short to allow him to get any benefit from being in the McLaren F-Duct assisted slipstream. Thus the area he should have perhaps been able to use to his advantage was not an option, and he needed to look at other parts of the track such as into Bus Stop where he made his failed attempt. He would at times come right up to the back of the McLaren of Button I think it was heading up the hill to Les Combes, and be against the limiter for the all important last third of the straight, and therefore be unable to do a full slipstream and draft past job.

At least he admitted his error and apologised, something few others in F1 have the grace to do. As for additional punishment I think that is a major over reaction to a racing incident.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2751977)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He is increasingly behaving, on track, like a complete gibbon.

He severely lacks racecraft and does not have any ability whatsoever in fighting past other cars. He is proving it time and again.

Dreadful stuff once again, he needs to take stock.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2751981)   #24
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a job avoiding mistakes on the track at 120mph, so how another human being can be expected to operate mistake free at close to 200 mph I do not understand. The stewards should be careful to avoid generating an atmosphere where drivers are afraid to race for fear of reprisals. They should only step in against cheating or deliberate causing of accidents
Old 29 Aug 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2751985)   #25
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First people were moaning about Webber, now Vettel? Come of it. It's racing. These things happen. They aren't playing a card game here.