Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 15 Oct 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3152077)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vettel to Ferrari in 2014?

What's going on here then? Several sources including James Allen have said that they are convinced he's off there (this isn't the same source as the Perez to Ferrari move I hope).

But what's going on with Ferrari's philosophy? Are they changing approach? This is bad for Alonso what with Vettel taking points off him (even if he doesn't beat him). Or could Alonso retire? (Doubt it).

According to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19941541 Alonso vetoed Hamilton. I know he fears Hamilton more because he refers to Hamilton as his most formidable competitor (I shouldn't even mention his 2007 reaction).

Normally I wouldn't start these speculative threads, but this is such a curious one, I thought I'd focus the discussion into one place.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3152092)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find it curious as the last time Ferrari had 2 top line drivers was probably Prost and Mansell and that is over 20 years ago. It will take a big change in their managment to deal with the challange of two multiple WDCs in the team as both will want to be top dog.

As an aside who will replace Vettel at RB as I doubt the STR drivers will be ready. Webber could stay on for continuity. The only top liner I see being available next year is Kimi, or possibly one of the young guns may step up to the top table.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3152093)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it's plain daft personally..
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3152095)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso probably feels he can take Vettel on quite easily.

It would be an odd move for Vettel. He has it all at Red Bull. Best car, best team, lapdog teammate. Why move? To stave off boredom perhaps?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3152101)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder has a possible move anything to do with the new engine rules?
The rumour about Vettel going to Ferrari has been around for a good while now. I wonder was there something else going on in the background for him to consider the move.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3152102)   #6
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Vettel wins this year it'll be the second time in three years Ferrari barely get beat to the title. It's the best car/driver combo on the grid and the man who designs the car aint movin nowhere. Easiest way to break the combo would be to sign Vettel. I'd do it.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:29 (Ref:3152103)   #7
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe Alonso didn't block the move for Vettel because at the time he was leading the championship by absolutely miles, thought his third title was in the bag, he gets a season (2013) driving around as triple F1 champion and retires while he's still got plenty of youthful vigour and vitality to enjoy the rest of his life?

So Vettel may be his replacement, rather than his teammate?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3152108)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I doubt the STR drivers will be ready. Webber could stay on for continuity. The only top liner I see being available next year is Kimi, or possibly one of the young guns may step up to the top table.
One of them could easily be ready by then I think.

Kimi would be a great catch for Red Bull.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3152127)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a slightly curious move given that Ferrari have long been associated with employing a driver, who is the clear team leader (although perhaps Massa bucked this trend in '08). I can't see Alonso retiring yet, but perhaps he feels that he will have the measure on Vettel. Plus, by 2014 he would four years at Ferrari, which is perhaps slightly different from McLaren, where ist was Hamilton who had spent many seasons building relationships with the team.

From Vettel's perspective, a move to Ferrari would be an opportunity to prove he can win a championship in something other than an Adrian Newey designed car, plus beating Alonso would perhaps enhance his reputation.

It'll be interesting as to who takes Vettel's Red Bull seat.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3152134)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It would be an odd move for Vettel. He has it all at Red Bull. Best car, best team, lapdog teammate. Why move? To stave off boredom perhaps?
To work for the team with the apparent prestige? For the Italian food? To do what his old hero did but better?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3152135)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For some reason I don't really understand, I don't believe that Vettel is a "finished product" yet (as opposed to Kimi, who is a Finnish product).

I don't see him as a proper Number 1 driver. As Knowlesy said up thread, he's got it all at RB - which means all he has to do is drive. He's not, so far as I can tell, in the Schumacher mould, helping to motivate/run the team and providing engineering input into the car's design (although maybe those days are gone now anyway).

Sure, he's quick, but right now he's got everything right where he needs it. I'd like to see him have to struggle at least a little, and see how that affects him. If you were to put (say) Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel in a car which was just not quite 100% right I would lay money on Vettel coming off worst.

Here's a theory for you though: 3 car teams, which Ferrari seem supportive of. You wouldn't want a single No 1, would you?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3152143)   #12
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Surely we should have a barrage of threads questioning his sanity and saying it's all for the money or that his management are trying to build brand Vettel. How could he contemplate leaving the team that have nurtured him from a young age to go to one where the car is clearly slower than the on he already drives?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3152147)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If Vettel does head to Maranello in 2014, it can surely only be because he thinks works teams will have a significant advantage over "privateers" once the new regulations come in. (Let's remember that a factory team hasn't win the WDC since 2008.)
Old 15 Oct 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3152149)   #14
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly its probably just Ferrari rumour to try and mess with Vettel and RBR going into the final few rounds on the 2012 season...head to head with Nando. Any disruption they can put in the RBR camp they will .

Also Vettel is all about stats and legacy so unless there are massive infrastructure changes at RBR or they lose key people ... leaving RBR will risk his chance of continuing to rack up the stats

Last edited by OZ_HCR32; 15 Oct 2012 at 12:10.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3152182)   #15
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Ferrari are now trying to down play Vettel moving there by saying by saying they don't need "two roosters in the same hen house"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103462

but they dont deny it.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3152204)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
BBC 5 Live radio have just announced that Red Bull says Vettel is NOT going to Ferrari in 2014.

Update: Vettel will not partner Alonso.

“I do not want two roosters in the hen house,”

Montezemolo.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...artner-alonso/

Last edited by Marbot; 15 Oct 2012 at 14:01.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3152221)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Surely we should have a barrage of threads questioning his sanity and saying it's all for the money or that his management are trying to build brand Vettel. How could he contemplate leaving the team that have nurtured him from a young age to go to one where the car is clearly slower than the on he already drives?
He likes the Beatles and stuff mate. He is not going to receive any criticism.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3152228)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Since the prospect of him going there now seems extremely unlikely, he need not now worry about saying anything inappropriate were he to visit the Pope.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3152240)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

So it is confirmed: Vettel to Ferrari for 2014.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3152251)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Alonso will not agree to that....
Old 15 Oct 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3152255)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
So it is confirmed: Vettel to Ferrari for 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Montezemolo certainly hasn't.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3152263)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
TBH, I don't think that he would really mind.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3152324)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That remains to be seen.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3152336)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
That remains to be seen.
Perhaps never to be seen.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3152340)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its been touched on (perhaps in another thread but i cant remember where i saw it) but how sure are we that Alonso stays at Ferrari in 2014 or if Ferrari/tifosi would be sad to see him leave if there are no titles?

i know Alonso has stated that he will retire with Ferrari but at 33ish in 2014 shouldn't he be looking for another drive/possibly the open seat at Red Bull unless more success is forthcoming. Ferrari unloaded Kimi despite having a contract and they pushed out Schumi both of whom enjoyed more success during their time at Ferrari.

totally just speculating but surely with this rumour will there not be more pressure/motivation for Alonso to win either this year or next so if Vettel does come in 2014 they both have 3 WDC?
Closed Thread