Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Apr 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3239960)   #26
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
He has nothing to lose, and it's only those who didn't like him in the first place that claim his time at Mercedes F1 somehow tarnished his reputation.
Well said ! Do we honestly believe Michael Schumacher gives a flying **** about whether some people think he might 'tarnish his reputation' by doing a demo run in an old F1 car, or a few races in DTM, or in KZ karting ? Whatever he does, be ambassadorial for Merc or behind the wheel of a racing car/kart, it's because he wants to not because he has to.

Quote:
As for the millions he has stockpiled away, he spends his money on much more worthwhile stuff than most.
He actually gives enormous amounts of money to charity... he just doesn't broadcast the fact.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3239968)   #27
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
What? I mean it is nice and all, but he wants to get himself over to sportscars or something.
No he doesn't. He is the exact opposite of a team player, and has the morals of a hungry weasel.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3239979)   #28
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
He actually gives enormous amounts of money to charity... he just doesn't broadcast the fact.
So how do you know ?
Old 27 Apr 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3239996)   #29
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
So how do you know ?
Because he told me
Old 27 Apr 2013, 15:29 (Ref:3240000)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i recall he made a massive donation in the aftermath of the Asian Tsunami. something like several million dollars or something.

i think if someone gives that kind of money its not a one off even if there was a personal connection. and then there is his work for the safe driving campaigns and stuff. he seems like a very charitable person imo.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3240002)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Like him or lump, he made his reputation during the Benetton and Ferrari eras and noone can take that reputation away from him. People will struggle to remember his Merc stint in the long run.

A bit like Stirling Moss if only in one sense. Noone really remembers his post Goodwood returns and it never had any long term ramifications upon his reputation.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3240008)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Like him or lump, he made his reputation during the Benetton and Ferrari eras and noone can take that reputation away from him. People will struggle to remember his Merc stint in the long run.

A bit like Stirling Moss if only in one sense. Noone really remembers his post Goodwood returns and it never had any long term ramifications upon his reputation.
Yes, a very good point. I was actually going to cite Stirling Moss as an example too... he had some messy times in touring cars with the Audi campaign as well as one offs driving in the SuperSports. Do we seriously think that he did that to further his career or add to his legacy... or do we think that he was concerned about harming his legacy when he took on those projects ? Not a bit of it. He's a racing enthusiast first and foremost and did it for enjoyment.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3240017)   #33
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
He said in the past that he felt that Le Mans was "too dangerous" for him to consider taking part in. Therefore I doubt he will be going anything close to flat out around The Ring.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3240020)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe that was a reference to slower GT cars. You may be right, especially if he is doing it during a normal days public session.

To be fair flat out, as in taking risks, should no be the way. Otherwise he may stuff it and the day could be over too soon. I suspect he will be going quite quick. Certainly quick enough for him to make this interesting and impressive.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3240025)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I believe that was a reference to slower GT cars. You may be right, especially if he is doing it during a normal days public session.

To be fair flat out, as in taking risks, should no be the way. Otherwise he may stuff it and the day could be over too soon. I suspect he will be going quite quick. Certainly quick enough for him to make this interesting and impressive.
I don't think it's possible to take a modern F1 car at full chat all the way around the old Ring. Nick Heidfeld didn't.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3240031)   #36
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About Schumacher's comeback, I really think he has nothing to be ashamed of. The car was not a championship contender, and as we all know F1 is mainly about the cars. He kept up well with Rosberg who now doesn't seem inferior to Hamilton as many expected. He got pole at Monaco for crying out loud, just like in the crappy 96 Ferrari!
Old 27 Apr 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3240045)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't think it's possible to take a modern F1 car at full chat all the way around the old Ring. Nick Heidfeld didn't.
I think you may be right.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3240051)   #38
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I don't really see why not. If they slap a setup on it that is subtle enough to absorb the bumps, raise the ride height a bit, sure it won't be mega quick in terms of setup, but it should be fine. If they can go over the start finish straight at Interlagos with the bottom of the car thumping the ground at 190mph, then i'm sure the ring's bumps can be tamed at speeds near or a bit below that.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3240061)   #39
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its obviously 'possible', but nobody with any ounce of sanity wants to see what will happen if somebody loses and crashes a modern F1 car on certain sections of the Nordschleife at full speed.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3240089)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This should always just remain superficial comments.

Flat out needs, amongst other things, hours of practice and competition to need to do it.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3240094)   #41
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
This should always just remain superficial comments.

Flat out needs, amongst other things, hours of practice and competition to need to do it.
It's still 'possible' though. But so is lapping an F1 car in a school gymnasium. Not going to happen.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3240096)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I get the semantics. It's not 'impossible'.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3240218)   #43
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I don't really see why not. If they slap a setup on it that is subtle enough to absorb the bumps, raise the ride height a bit, sure it won't be mega quick in terms of setup, but it should be fine. If they can go over the start finish straight at Interlagos with the bottom of the car thumping the ground at 190mph, then i'm sure the ring's bumps can be tamed at speeds near or a bit below that.
I believe there are undulations at certain points on the Ring with a frequency to cause an F1 car to become completely airborne at full chat and with the optimum trim. It's why Nick Heidfeld couldn't give it the maximum all the way around. He came pretty close though. Even though I imagine Schumacher won't take any risks at all... it'll still be spectacular.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3240265)   #44
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If they use this season's tyres he'll only make it half way round.
Old 28 Apr 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3240266)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

That is certainly possible.
Old 29 Apr 2013, 06:33 (Ref:3240427)   #46
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He has nothing to lose, and it's only those who didn't like him in the first place that claim his time at Mercedes F1 somehow tarnished his reputation.

But he did sportscars years ago, before F1, it's known he has no interest in ovals, and he's probably got a family agreement not to do DTM for fear of embarrassing Ralf. Again.

As for the millions he has stockpiled away, he spends his money on much more worthwhile stuff than most.

Agree 100%,funny how easy it is to dislike someone you have probably never met!Michael is a far nicer bloke than a lot of people will ever know,he has given huge sums to charities right from the early days because he was "in the fortunate position to do so". I will be fortunate enough to be present when this happens and I don't think it will be a disappointment to watch.
Old 28 May 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3254464)   #47
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An onboard video of the lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFXu8y0ZqTM
Old 28 May 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3254552)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Longer video that shows start to stop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsclF-mUksQ

I don't know the details, but from watching the longer video, the lap came across as very odd. I mean we knew it wasn't going to be a quick lap for a number of reasons, but it seemed particularly slow.

He starts on the GP track and was using more revs at first and seemed to not have much grip at first (cold and unknown spec tires?). The further he goes the more tentative he is, less revs (sometimes oddly running on the rev limiter for a bit) slow in the corners and by the time he exits Adenauer Forst he is really short shifting and looks to generally cruise for the entire remainder of the lap. The track doesn't look damp, but doesn't really look dry either.

Regardless, he still looked to be going pretty slow even for a conservative lap. In fact, it is a rather boring lap. Mechanical issue with the car? Micheal not get enough sleep the night before?

Richard
Old 28 May 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3254575)   #49
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Longer video that shows start to stop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsclF-mUksQ

I don't know the details, but from watching the longer video, the lap came across as very odd. I mean we knew it wasn't going to be a quick lap for a number of reasons, but it seemed particularly slow.

He starts on the GP track and was using more revs at first and seemed to not have much grip at first (cold and unknown spec tires?). The further he goes the more tentative he is, less revs (sometimes oddly running on the rev limiter for a bit) slow in the corners and by the time he exits Adenauer Forst he is really short shifting and looks to generally cruise for the entire remainder of the lap. The track doesn't look damp, but doesn't really look dry either.

Regardless, he still looked to be going pretty slow even for a conservative lap. In fact, it is a rather boring lap. Mechanical issue with the car? Micheal not get enough sleep the night before?

Richard
The whole thing seems a bit manufactured for me. The fact he caught up and passed those other Mercedes cars right at the end of the lap suggests to me that the whole thing was timed for him to do that.

I remember Ferrari pulling a similar stunt with Schumacher in 1996 when they used a Fiat Bravo, a 550 Maranello and the F310.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GuJjj9niw

Last edited by beau1; 28 May 2013 at 16:20.
Old 28 May 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3254585)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you look on Youtube you can see and hear evidence of the car not running properly.

So it was eitehr designed to not run properly or it simpy wasnt!

I sadly believe the former, as it was fine earlier in the lap!

But sad really when you consder Heidelf was doing a decent job in the BMW