Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Apr 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3727618)   #126
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
It has nothing to do with a drop in GTE Am cars. It's the field filler class in WEC and will only be there as long as there is space needing to be filled. If there was enough LMP1 and GTE Pro entries they'd drop LMP2 as well, but given it's the largest class there isn't any kind of scenario in sight for that.

Right now there is 22 cars in LMP1, LMP2, and GTE Pro and 5 cars in GTE Am. BMW is a guaranteed 2 cars added to the first group and SMP and Ginetta is a somewhat likely addition of anywhere from 3-8 cars (mind you this does assume someone takes Manor's spot in LMP2), so with the 35 car cap for the air freight it's even narrowly possible to run out of space to run a viably sized stand alone GTE Am class next season let alone a couple years in the future if more manufacturers join. ELMS would be happy to have them.

They can't just operate like GTE Am is guaranteed to be there forever then go WHOOPS when they announce the entry list in February.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 19:31 (Ref:3727621)   #127
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just get rid of it. GTE-Am adds nothing... nothing to the series. Waste of space.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3727622)   #128
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Nah, GTE-Am is fantastic because of the scheduled DHH meltdowns about SOMETHING in the class every race weekend.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3727626)   #129
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
See signature.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 00:37 (Ref:3727669)   #130
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Nah, GTE-Am is fantastic because of the scheduled DHH meltdowns about SOMETHING in the class every race weekend.
You know he races P2 right?
Old 19 Apr 2017, 02:56 (Ref:3727679)   #131
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
You know he races P2 right?
Yep, but that doesn't stop the complaint train ahahah
Old 19 Apr 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3727708)   #132
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It makes you wonder if a few GTE-AM cars would move inte GTE-PRO if the AM category was dropped. I can see a few AM cars/teams/drivers really wanting to stay in WEC even if the AM category is dropped. Maybe it wont actually affect the grid size much at all...?
Old 19 Apr 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3727713)   #133
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
If GTE Am was being dropped there would already be more cars in the other 3 classes than there is in the 4 right now and they'd be within a small number of cars of the entry cap so inherently it can't have much effect. But sure if there's say 3 more slots left when you eliminate the class there is the possibility of some of the teams still taking them to race in what would then just be GTE.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3728045)   #134
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
What is the point of having GTE-Am today?? Okay. I know I don’t know you at all and you probably could give a damn about what I have to say. Most of the people in racing business are in it because they’re thrill seekers or adrenaline junkies. But for some of them, there’s something dark going on. I think ACO and FIA need help. Time to fold GTE-Am.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 05:00 (Ref:3729230)   #135
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a question:
what things can be matched with the BOP and in what things can not influence the BOP?
And this question is because Ford chose to make a prototype 2 years ago and not race with the Mustang, and is analyzing a Evo Kit, Ferrari is analyzing a Evo Kit too, Porsche decided to build a mid-engine of your 911, and BMW in the like Ford way will come with a prototype in witch Adrian Newey leave your stamp.
If the BOP matched everything, what would be the need to build such extreme cars?
Personally I like it, I prefer the most extreme cars

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...kits-for-2018/
Old 24 May 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3735655)   #136
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aumento de peso, reducción de potencia en la balanza de pagos Le Mans-especÃ*fica

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...-specific-bop/
Old 30 May 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3737521)   #137
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford in quite the conundrum. That Bourdais car was pretty much the car everyone is expecting to win the race again. That Bourdais-Hand-Muller line-up is possibly the strongest lineup in the entire GTE field (rivaled and only just by the Porsche GTE factory cars).
Old 31 May 2017, 00:08 (Ref:3737529)   #138
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
What is the point of having GTE-Am today?? Okay. I know I don’t know you at all and you probably could give a damn about what I have to say. Most of the people in racing business are in it because they’re thrill seekers or adrenaline junkies. But for some of them, there’s something dark going on. I think ACO and FIA need help. Time to fold GTE-Am.
I agree on the folding of GTE-Am, but the next step should be GT3 cars in the WEC for those teams who wouldn't be able to keep up with the factory GTE teams. IMO, that's long overdue.
Old 31 May 2017, 01:32 (Ref:3737535)   #139
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Ford in quite the conundrum. That Bourdais car was pretty much the car everyone is expecting to win the race again. That Bourdais-Hand-Muller line-up is possibly the strongest lineup in the entire GTE field (rivaled and only just by the Porsche GTE factory cars).
I bet they have lots of drivers lining up to get that seat though. I'm sure they can pull somebody into the car with little trouble. But like you say, can they actually replace the talent and experience Bourdais brought?
Old 31 May 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3737692)   #140
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I bet they have lots of drivers lining up to get that seat though. I'm sure they can pull somebody into the car with little trouble. But like you say, can they actually replace the talent and experience Bourdais brought?
That was quick:
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...ais-at-le-mans
Old 4 Jun 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3738607)   #141
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The Ford is not a bespoke race car placed on the street. ... It's basically the same category of car as the 488 and McLaren 650. Take a look at the thing if you can online. It's pretty far from a just street racecar. I think because the shape or it's aero concept, people get the idea it's nothing but a racecar. Even if it were, how about the original Ford GT40?
I'm sorry but I must strongly disagree. It should be self-evident the Ford GT is little more than a racecar with the minimum done for road legality.. basically it's a horrible road car, because it's just a converted racing car.

https://youtu.be/vnRDux18bK0?t=9m31s
Quote:
Nowhere near as much refinement as you'd expect... It felt like a duck out of water on the road. As a daily driver it is nowhere compared to Ferrari, Porsche or McLaren. The car is just a Le Mans racer which has been legalised for the road.
Whereas the 488 and 650S while expensive and impractical ARE comfortable and usable road cars.

And yes, the original Ford GT40 is just as bad, if not worse, as a barely road legalised racing car.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 14:16 (Ref:3738616)   #142
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Ford GT40 was a pure racing car. Ford just built so many of them that they qualified for homologation as road cars under ACO and FIA rules at the time. It was the same rule that lead to Porsche and Ferrari building 25+ 917s and 512 series cars. And if you think the GT40's bad, imagine a road legal 917. At least one or two have been registered as road legal back in the day.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3738648)   #143
carbsmith
Veteran

Mk.IIIs were road cars but they made barely any so most road GT40s are converted Mk.Is or continuation models. FIA's competition sports car production requirements had nothing to do with being a road car or not.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3738654)   #144
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Group 4 class as it was known at the time was I think called "production sports cars" for a reason. There certainly was a homologation requirement that at least 25 cars had to be built by a certain date to qualify for the Sports 5.0 class. Ford met it just because they built so many GT40s over it's production run, though the ACO and FIA didn't care if it meant road or race cars.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 18:58 (Ref:3738659)   #145
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The Group 4 class as it was known at the time was I think called "production sports cars" for a reason. There certainly was a homologation requirement that at least 25 cars had to be built by a certain date to qualify for the Sports 5.0 class. Ford met it just because they built so many GT40s over it's production run, though the ACO and FIA didn't care if it meant road or race cars.
They should bring that back for LMP1. Build at least 12 before homologation and sell at €1,000,000. If you want to build a space-ship you can do that, but you' ll have to subsidize that yourself. Never gonna happen, seeing how the manufacturers are part of the rules making these days, but we sure wouldn't have to worry about a lack of competitive privateer options.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3738672)   #146
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The new exhaust note on the Porsche really is something...

https://youtu.be/4FS72O_xQr8?t=25s
Old 4 Jun 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3738687)   #147
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The new exhaust note on the Porsche really is something...

https://youtu.be/4FS72O_xQr8?t=25s
wow, that is different.

Its a shame to have a talent like Gimmi Bruni forced to sit out this years race.

Last edited by Articus; 4 Jun 2017 at 21:22.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3738760)   #148
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's only his fault

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Jun 2017, 00:54 (Ref:3738916)   #149
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I'm sorry but I must strongly disagree. It should be self-evident the Ford GT is little more than a racecar with the minimum done for road legality.. basically it's a horrible road car, because it's just a converted racing car.

https://youtu.be/vnRDux18bK0?t=9m31s

Whereas the 488 and 650S while expensive and impractical ARE comfortable and usable road cars.

And yes, the original Ford GT40 is just as bad, if not worse, as a barely road legalised racing car.
I don't think you can criticise Ford for meeting the FIA's homologation requirements. You look at the rules and you meet them. End of.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 02:42 (Ref:3738922)   #150
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
James Glickenhaus dreams to race his SCG 003 in GTE Pro at Le Mans.
I think that the ACO demands 25 units to homologate a model of a small manufacturer. I would love to see this car in Le Mans and in IMSA GTLM.

http://sportscar-info.de/2017/05/31/...engagement-an/