Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jan 2004, 15:50 (Ref:848350)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan, Jos, and Inflated Egos...

Just saw on ITV site that Jos has given Jordan an ultimatum, says they must decide by 5pm today if they want his services next year or not.

Now, I understand Jos's desire to know what's going on. I understand that the sooner he can get in a car and do some testing, the better off he is for the season. But to say "take me today or leave me" is a pretty irrational thing to say. He does not have another seat to go to. If Jordan doesn't respond today, but decides next week that they want Verstappen, do you think he would accept? Heck yes, he would. But then he looks stupid for this ultimatum today...

Jos has always been a bit 'too big for his britches'...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 16:23 (Ref:848391)   #2
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, here's the story on F1Racing: http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=67755

I think Mr. Perridon is turning out to be something of an idiot. As that article points out, no team boss with an ounce of sense would want to be seen to cave into such a petulant demand.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 16:44 (Ref:848410)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Mr. Perridon "sacked" Verstappen's manager Rothengatter because he thougt he could do better...I have my doubts.

On the other hand I don't understand Jordan by not signing Verstappen and get $10 million. Verstappen is not a bad driver (same level or better as Firman).

Last edited by FIRE; 23 Jan 2004 at 16:47.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 16:49 (Ref:848415)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I thought that Jos and his management team gave Jordan the same ultimatum a week ago? Or was that just a trial run?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 16:50 (Ref:848417)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
I don't understand Jordan by not signing Verstappen and get $10 million. Verstappen is not a bad driver (same level or better as Firman).
Verstappen and his cohorts are already throwing their toys out of the pram 'demanding' things from the team despite the fact that nothing is signed.

Verstappen may be on a par with Firman for ability but Firman is by far the more dignified of the two. I'd take him over Verstappen unless there was no alternative to Verstappens $$$
Old 23 Jan 2004, 17:29 (Ref:848464)   #6
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Well, since Jos has nowhere to go, I'm sure Jordan is trying to negotiate terms very favorable to theirselve's at Jos's expense. Eddie and company know that, as soon as they offer, Jos will jump, or Jos won't be in F1...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 17:31 (Ref:848467)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you think that Jos might have a seat in another series waiting for him?

I mean it is getting late, and alot of racing series need to get their team in order. I'm quite sure that he doesn't want to miss a season of driving, because Jordan can't pull there head out of there proverbial a#s!

I have to side with Jos on this one, "bleep" or get off the pot Eddie.

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Jan 2004, 17:43 (Ref:848474)   #8
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he will have another seat in a different series. He's doing the "Premiership football" attitude now.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 18:14 (Ref:848517)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
ITV is reporting that Jordan has announced they will not announce any news about their driver line up today.

Sorry Jos, you're not the boss...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 18:15 (Ref:848518)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
A few minutes ago I heard Perridon on TV. He has spoken with Jordan by telephone and they have an agreement. Next week the contract will be signed.

According to Perridon their money bag is smaller then Jordan expected. By delaying the negotiations Jordan tried to get more money from Verstappen sponsors.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 18:51 (Ref:848551)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I guess Verstappens strategy worked then?

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Jan 2004, 19:03 (Ref:848562)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
That, or Perridon is full of ...

Old 23 Jan 2004, 19:08 (Ref:848568)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
From www.trust.com:
Quote:
Trust and Jordan F1 continue successful negotiations

Dordrecht (The Netherlands), January 2004 - During the last few weeks intensive contact between the Jordan F1 team and Trust has taken place, regarding the possibility of a working relationship. A deadline of 17.00hr this afternoon was set to determine a more clear standpoint from the Jordan team. After an elaborate telephone conversation between M.J.C.W. Perridon, C.E.O. Trust International B.V. and E. Jordan, team owner of the Jordan F1 team a positive arrangement has been proposed. "Jordan has given his word over the telephone" according to Mr. Perridon. It has been decided that during the coming days a final agreement will be made between the two parties. This means that once the contract is finalised and signed, Jos Verstappen will start the grid in the EJ14 during the coming 2004 season!

"We are happy to have taken this step forward. Jos is an excellent driver with an outstanding track record, who absolutely deserves a seat in Formula 1" stated M.J.C.W. Perridon.
So they still need to negotiate..
Old 23 Jan 2004, 19:25 (Ref:848581)   #14
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
From www.trust.com:

So they still need to negotiate..
So, there is still no contract and Trust/Verstappen are exactly where they were this morning, with or without an ultimatum. It's quite amusing having Trust run of to the press and announce an ultimatum for Eddie to sign the deal, yet all Eddie does is pushing the envelop. Trust simply hasn't got the balls to walk away from the deal, so Eddie is calling the shots and he knows it. Today, Trust has lost all credibility. Whatever contract rolls out, Jordan is the one who dictates the deal. Perridon has done everything wrong and the only reason a deal can be made, is because Jordan needs the cash, not because they desperatly want Verstappen.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 19:58 (Ref:848619)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jos must have backache by now, he's been carting that sack of cash around for ages.....
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:05 (Ref:848629)   #16
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Jos must have backache by now, he's been carting that sack of cash around for ages.....
Jos is selling, but who is buying?

It's good to have some comedy around during the dark months of wintertesting.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:13 (Ref:848640)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite, I wonder if breaking off talks with Minardi, was such a good ploy in their negotiations with Jordan?

Me thinks they have a bit to learn at the F1 poker table....
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:29 (Ref:848653)   #18
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Quite, I wonder if breaking off talks with Minardi, was such a good ploy in their negotiations with Jordan?

Me thinks they have a bit to learn at the F1 poker table....
Dismissing Minardi in public was their first (big) mistake. It gave Jordan the upperhand in the negotiations. Setting ultimatums and running to the press to tell them about it, was their second (big) mistake. Their third (big) mistake was showing Eddie that, despite the ultimatum, they really don't have the balls to walk away from the deal. Eddie is from no on running the show and Perridon needs to settle for anything he can get.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:34 (Ref:848663)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Indeed, there is no option for Jos other than Jordan, and although EJ needs his cash, no doubt he could cobble together another deal from somewhere. Whereas, not even Jos and his many advisors/sponsors can create a spare seat in another team.....

I agree with your analysis, I wonder if Jordan testing new guys this week (for which they have no doubt paid handsomely), add's to the showboating that there are 'plenty more fish in the sea' from a Jordan viewpoint?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:43 (Ref:848676)   #20
Arnoldus
Rookie

Arnoldus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt there are that many more 'fish in the sea'; I don't think the guys Jordan were testing really are candidates for a race seat, for one because they don't have the cash Jordan needs...

E.g. Bas Leinders doesn't really have any serious sponsor backing. He did supposedly pay 300.000 euro for one day of testing. And seeing the way things went during that test...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:50 (Ref:848685)   #21
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for Eu 300,000 for the day, Eddie can afford a broken wishbone and a bit of bodywork - and knowing how these things usually work, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't Eu 300,000 PLUS dammage!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 21:54 (Ref:848744)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
300000 for one day of testing is a total rip off.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:848748)   #23
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can put it towards what Glock managed to destroy

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 24 Jan 2004, 03:49 (Ref:848970)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
I thought that Jos and his management team gave Jordan the same ultimatum a week ago? Or was that just a trial run?
Yes, I think this story has been pulled out of the bin and recycled again.

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Dismissing Minardi in public was their first (big) mistake. It gave Jordan the upperhand in the negotiations. Setting ultimatums and running to the press to tell them about it, was their second (big) mistake. Their third (big) mistake was showing Eddie that, despite the ultimatum, they really don't have the balls to walk away from the deal.
Absolutley. What a bunch of idiots. They dont seem to have any idea what they are doing. Fortunately for Jos, depsite is own shortcomings as a driver and the stupidity f his management he's still lugging (good one ST) that biggest bag of cash around and will most likely get the seat.

A sad day for F1 though IMO.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 09:50 (Ref:849144)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Fortunately for Jos, depsite is own shortcomings as a driver...

Sorry, you must have it wrong there Wrex. According to the quote above.....

Quote:

"Jos is an excellent driver with an outstanding track record, who absolutely deserves a seat in Formula 1"
How could you have possibly missed something so obvious.

(Like I did )