Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jan 2004, 23:52 (Ref:853044)   #1
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oastler not good enough for F1

Just wondering what people think of Malcolm Oastler, is he good enough for F1? The new Jaguar R5 (Oastler's 1st design with Jag) is looking extremely slow and quick bad. When you compare it to when he was at BAR they struggled and now that he has left there improving out of site. Any thoughts?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 00:53 (Ref:853068)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Let you know in 10 months time
Old 28 Jan 2004, 00:59 (Ref:853072)   #3
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did he join? If it was late in the R5 development stages, then, well, you can really blame him.

But then again, look at Geoff Willis. He left Williams and they have improved, but he also joined BAR and they started to improve as well.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 01:53 (Ref:853089)   #4
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
hmmmm....... hope the jag performs...
Old 28 Jan 2004, 03:28 (Ref:853127)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah same, i know testing is testing...but, compare the speed of this car to last years. Remember how relatively more impressive it was than this car?

Pizzonia set the Valencia lap record with the R4 for gods sake, whereas now, Webber is pretty much consistantly in the bottom half.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 03:50 (Ref:853134)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tests on any particular circuit at this period of time does not only emphasize on lap records. There are so many other things that needs to be looked on for the whole duration of the GP season.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 04:02 (Ref:853143)   #7
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope that they are still bedding things in, otherwise it's not looking too good. I'll be wrapted if I'm proven wrong, maybe we'll see some potential while they test at Valencia.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:09 (Ref:853307)   #8
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams are at different stages of the development process and are testing different things for different reasons. Its a cliche, but testing postions really do mean nothing. I all but ignore them. The only true indication will come in Melbourne. F1 is one of the most exacting working environments there can be. If Malcolm Oastler was really to blame for a succession of bad cars, he wouldn't be there.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:32 (Ref:853328)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've edited the thread title to reflect that it is a question being asked, not a statement.

Before we swing the axe to wildly, Oastler isn't the lead designer on the Jaguar. The heads of department at Jaguar are as follows.

Ian Pocock (Director of Engineering) Ben Agathangelou (Head of Aerodynamics), Rob Taylor (Head of Vehicle Design), Dr Mark Gillan (Head of Vehicle Performance), Dr Ian Pocock (Head of Engineering)

Malcolm Oastler's role is Chief Engineer, which IIRC is not a design role, but a pure engineering role. In other words, a race engineer works with the design that has been produced and aims to get the best out of it. His role at Jaguar is to improve the reliablilty and working efficiency of the car.

http://www.jaguar-racing.com/frame.cgi

Last edited by Super Tourer; 28 Jan 2004 at 09:56.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 09:39 (Ref:853336)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Irv the Swerve
Teams are at different stages of the development process and are testing different things for different reasons. Its a cliche, but testing postions really do mean nothing. I all but ignore them. The only true indication will come in Melbourne. F1 is one of the most exacting working environments there can be. If Malcolm Oastler was really to blame for a succession of bad cars, he wouldn't be there.
The BAR were poor cars by current standards, Geoff Willis' first comment was that the designs were some way behind current F1 thinking.

At Jaguar MO is an engineer, not a designer, which is a different discipline and one that he will probably fill well, without the pressure of actually producing a car.

Anyone who has worked with a skilled race engineer, will know that very good ones have an almost magic touch and their input can transform a car, and general working practises on it.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:06 (Ref:853994)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still, the BAR 002 and 003 were reliable enough to score points regularly...
Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:05 (Ref:854089)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno. Wirdheim was in a R4 quicker than Webber in a R5 today at Valencia......
Old 29 Jan 2004, 08:29 (Ref:854749)   #13
Greg Cummins
Rookie

Greg Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny Scott75. I was just thinking about this myself this morning. He was out of his depth at BAR, didn't seem adaptable to the way F1 was changing at the time.

I am yet to be convinced otherwise since his move to Jag. And given that they've had a few testing sessions now and are still at least 2 secs off the pace I have no reason to think this has changed.

My answer is an emphatic NO! He's not up to F1. I think the designer of Thunderbird 2 has a better chance of coming up with something quicker.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 08:46 (Ref:854763)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
I dunno. Wirdheim was in a R4 quicker than Webber in a R5 today at Valencia......
That's another reason not to get too excited about anything we see in the times yet...I was under the impression that the changes to the 2004 cars was supposed to make them a touch slower than the '03 versions.
Once everybody is running in the latest cars then maybe we can have a better idea about each teams potential for the season
Old 29 Jan 2004, 09:12 (Ref:854783)   #15
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
That's another reason not to get too excited about anything we see in the times yet...I was under the impression that the changes to the 2004 cars was supposed to make them a touch slower than the '03 versions.
Once everybody is running in the latest cars then maybe we can have a better idea about each teams potential for the season
Not sure they are supposed to be slower. Technically, if they had everything the same except for the changes, then yes. But considering they've improved the design, chassis, aero, etc. they should be pretty disappointed if their new car is slower than the old one.

I am shocked by how Jaguar could produce such a slow car, after last years' being quite good. There is the thought that testing means nothing, but surely everyone is not saying that Webber is doing huge long runs with lots of fuel. His latest run was 55 laps, which was in fact less than most. I wonder how much Webber's stock will fall as a result of this car.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 09:16 (Ref:854791)   #16
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Cummins
Funny Scott75. I was just thinking about this myself this morning. He was out of his depth at BAR, didn't seem adaptable to the way F1 was changing at the time.

I am yet to be convinced otherwise since his move to Jag. And given that they've had a few testing sessions now and are still at least 2 secs off the pace I have no reason to think this has changed.

My answer is an emphatic NO! He's not up to F1. I think the designer of Thunderbird 2 has a better chance of coming up with something quicker.
Oastler is not the designer of the car, he has joined Jaguar as an engineer, not a designer.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 29 Jan 2004 at 09:17.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 09:27 (Ref:854808)   #17
Greg Cummins
Rookie

Greg Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks ST. I picked up on that just after i posted. Much to my chargrin.

In saying that, I think the engineer of Thunderbird 2 has a better chance of coming up with something quicker .

Of course, this is really just me expressing a desire to see forward sweeping wings in F1 regardless of their aerodynamic efficiency.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 09:36 (Ref:854819)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Cummins
Of course, this is really just me expressing a desire to see forward sweeping wings in F1 regardless of their aerodynamic efficiency.
Welcome to 10 Tenths - enjoy!

ST