Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1234649)   #1
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mick Hill, Tony Rosen Super Saloon Capri

I may be on a wild goose chase but if anyone can help me, it will be here at 10 Tenths.

In late 1978, a F5000 Chevron B28 was advertised from addresses in Welwyn, Herts and Stanhope Street, London NW1 and I have been unable to trace it. However, the adverts give a clue.

Another advert from this same telephone number in 1979 offered a reward for the return of an ex-Mick Hill, Tony Rosen Super Saloon Capri. Does anyone recall this car and know who might have had it in 1978 or 1979? If I can locate the Capri owner, I'll knmow who had the Chevron.

Many thanks

Allen
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1234669)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is a search on the name Mick Hill. I know his Capri is featured in these threads. Its a start.

http://tentenths.com/forum/search.php?searchid=26086
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1234689)   #3
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen, was George Welly Potter's big Capri an ex-Hill/Rosen one ? He lived in Derbyshire however, nowhere near these Beautiful South places. I can;t recall many other Capris around by the late 70s.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2305347)   #4
k818th2
Rookie

k818th2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mick Hill/Tony Rosen Capri

Please see the reply I just posted re. Ali Hussein Camaro which gives some info on the Tony Rosen Ex Mick Hill/Martin Birrane Super saloon V8 Capri.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2305508)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The first Mick Hill Capri (Mk1) was sold, via Gerry Marshall, to Tony Strawson.

The 2nd Hill Capri (a Mk2) was later owned by Doug Niven - who also ran Hill's VW Beetle.

Now who had the Capri's after them?
Old 7 Oct 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2305839)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doug Niven's 1975 Capri ( which went briefly to Nicholas Wattiez in early '76 ) before being retrieved by Doug, was the 1974 Toleman Colin Hawker car. Not sure if it was a Mick Hill car before this.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2305850)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Doug Niven's 1975 Capri ( which went briefly to Nicholas Wattiez in early '76 ) before being retrieved by Doug, was the 1974 Toleman Colin Hawker car. Not sure if it was a Mick Hill car before this.
http://www.racing70s.pwp.blueyonder....s/capri_04.htm

I have a vague memory that Hill brought the Hawker Capri, Hawker keeping the Cosworth for the DFVW, but can't be sure.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2305856)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah that might be it, yes Alan. Hill after Hawker.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2305861)   #9
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres George Welly Potters car. If you need a better look I can post a pic or 2 of it from Cadwell...
http://www.racing70s.pwp.blueyonder....s/capri_03.htm
Old 16 Dec 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2356470)   #10
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go on colin post some more special saloon pics from cadwell
Old 16 Dec 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2356486)   #11
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who's capri was it that gary charlwood raced with the v12 in!
Old 26 May 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2698822)   #12
mick tester
Rookie

mick tester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Hawkers Ford Capri

In Feb 1983 Auto Performance Mag done a feature on the ex Colin Hawkers Capri at Lyden at that time the owner was Gary Charlwood it ran with a V12 Gary brought the Carpi from Northhamton at that time it was running a Weslake V6,I called Gary two years ago to see if he still had the capri he said he sold it to a guy in London who was going to make it into a road car?
Old 26 May 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2698865)   #13
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happened to the terry nicelles(spelling) capri which was one of the last racing in special saloons and thunder saloons powered by 3.4 GAA
Old 27 May 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2699373)   #14
Barman1963
Rookie

Barman1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry's car was an ex Brut 33 sponsored (I think) Group 1 car. Last I heard of it, it was in France and being restored to pre-Wendy Wool spec. What a shame.

Saw Terry at the CTCRC sprint at Goodwood and he is racing an XJS now and threatening to be out with it at Thruxton next month.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3318131)   #15
cosworth77
Rookie

cosworth77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ex Collin Hawker/Gary Charlwood Capri

I stumbled across this forum and noticed the mention of the V12 Capri which was last raced by Gary Charlwood, I know who has this car, private message me if you want more information on it.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3318469)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman1963 View Post
Terry's car was an ex Brut 33 sponsored (I think) Group 1 car. Last I heard of it, it was in France and being restored to pre-Wendy Wool spec. What a shame.

Saw Terry at the CTCRC sprint at Goodwood and he is racing an XJS now and threatening to be out with it at Thruxton next month.
Lol, some might argue that turning it into a special saloon was a shame. If it is a genuine CC Group 1 car then it's quite possibly with more as that.

However what happened to the GAA engine?
Old 16 Oct 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3318492)   #17
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw Terry earlier this year at Thruxton; he said he sold the engines on at a fraction of their cost, but I can't remember to whom. He thinks this was circa 1984.

The shell has reappeared and is currently being rebuilt but I can't remember the details - I'll check with Terry later on.

I used to have a memory - now I have blanks........
Old 16 Oct 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3318613)   #18
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
i know which guise id have preferred the old girl in
Old 17 Oct 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3319198)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle_BBG View Post
Saw Terry earlier this year at Thruxton; he said he sold the engines on at a fraction of their cost, but I can't remember to whom. He thinks this was circa 1984.

The shell has reappeared and is currently being rebuilt but I can't remember the details - I'll check with Terry later on.

I used to have a memory - now I have blanks........
Might have been Rod Birley as he ran a GAA powered car the following year?

This ex Graham/NIcholls car is back here now I'm sure someone posted about it?
Old 18 Oct 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3319531)   #20
ogits
Rookie

ogits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just came across this thread. In the 80's there was a guy called Bernie Harris in North London with a Capri with, I think, a GA fitted. I can't remember it's origins.

Wasn't Stuart Graham associated with the Brut33 Capri?
Old 19 Oct 2013, 05:59 (Ref:3319715)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup, Stuart Graham.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3320431)   #22
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this the Capri your'e talking about?. I think that's Stuart Graham in the racing overalls.
Attached Thumbnails
S.Graham.jpg