Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 19 Jul 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3108558)   #1
CJDJ500
Rookie

United Kingdom
CJDJ500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New York City Street Circuit

Ever wondered what it would be like to have an IndyCar race in New York City? Well, it COULD be like the layout images below. It has 17 corners and will take a rather interesting approach in terms of the pitlane, as it will have drivers' pit boxes on each side of the pitlane to create less of a problems in terms of pitlane length. Quite a few of the corners have specific names to them. For example:

T6/T7: Empire State Corners
T2: Gotham Hall Corner
T15: Star Junction
T8: A.J. Foyt Corner
T9: Earnhardt Corner

If IndyCar was to head here the drivers should expect a series of twists, turns and challenges to overcome in order to complete a successful lap around here.
Attached Thumbnails
New York City Street Circuit.png   New York City Street Circuit Map.png  
Old 26 Jul 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3111542)   #2
CJDJ500
Rookie

United Kingdom
Additional Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDJ500 View Post
Ever wondered what it would be like to have an IndyCar race in New York City? Well, it COULD be like the layout images below. It has 17 corners and will take a rather interesting approach in terms of the pitlane, as it will have drivers' pit boxes on each side of the pitlane to create less of a problems in terms of pitlane length. Quite a few of the corners have specific names to them. For example:

T6/T7: Empire State Corners
T2: Gotham Hall Corner
T15: Star Junction
T8: A.J. Foyt Corner
T9: Earnhardt Corner

If IndyCar was to head here the drivers should expect a series of twists, turns and challenges to overcome in order to complete a successful lap around here.
I forgot to point out that it is 2.3247mi or 3.7412km in length. I think that T15 (Star Junction) is the most interesting corner because cars have to brake suddenly from a 636m straightaway (which would be the DRS straight if F1 went there), to about 30/40mph, for a double apexed hairpin that can really tire out the drivers arms as he/she corners it. I sure hope that IndyCar/ALMS could visit this circuit, with one shared weekend between the 2 each year.
Attached Thumbnails
Indy_NewHampshire_2011.jpg   alms-long-beach---20_450.jpg  
Old 5 May 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3243026)   #3
CJDJ500
Rookie

United Kingdom
Route 2

This is another possibility of a street circuit in NYC. The pit straight runs past central park and through parts of Lincoln Square and Riverside Blvd. It then runs southbound through Broadway and round to west Central Park again. Turn 1 is pretty exciting as it runs around the 59th street Columbus Circle and could be good for overtaking ops. Click on the following link to get a full view of the planned route.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5909943
Old 11 May 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3245598)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a nice idea for sure but I feel the street map of New York City is way too squared to design a circuit which is not stop-start. Hence, the New Yorkers need to go elsewhere to watch some good racing. But even at the center of the world, there cannot be everything, it seems.