Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Mar 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3045245)   #51
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Im still trying to work out where that is on the track.
That could be the reason why you're not winning Peter?
Old 20 Mar 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3045248)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True. But I confess to being puzzled by that shot.

It might help if I knew which way the cars were actually going! I don't recognise the building to the left.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3045250)   #53
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The wet one is from the back of Coppice looking down towards the Esses - the building is the Exhibition Centre. Your pic appears to be turning in to Redgate.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3045257)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it was Coppice to Fogarty but it just seemed too short.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3045310)   #55
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post

What a cracking picture - obviously before I threw the Revis off at Redgate
I wondered where you had got to Richard. It looked like you were going rather well up to that point.

I can't recall whether it was Mr. Titchmarsh or Mr. Pye who suggested, at one point in the commentary, that the bodywork gave you some advantage as it would reduce or eliminate the spray from your front wheels.

I have to say that from where I was standing it didn't look like anything would be much of an advantage in those conditions.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3045323)   #56
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I thought it was Coppice to Fogarty but it just seemed too short.
Truncated view because of the long lens Peter. 70-200 +2x extender for 400mm on a 1.3x crop body so an 'effective' look that would be provided by a 530mm lens in 35mm terms.

Plus there is a dip on the straight about half way along and in this shot pretty much all the tarmac after the dip up to the Esses is hidden, giving the impression that the straight is shorter than it really is.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3045343)   #57
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWBallistic View Post
Richard
I agree the picture is superb.
I think it was some of the worst conditions I have ever raced in. Not only was the rain heavy, down the two straights we had the evening sun straight in our eyes
Stuart Wright
It did look pretty nasty out there and I have tremendous admiration for all of you for taking to the track.

The low sun provided some great light though.
Attached Thumbnails
1024at72_60pct_HSCC_DP_20120317_ONED1914.jpg   1024at72_60pct_HSCC_DP_20120317_ONED2023.jpg  
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3045364)   #58
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Grant
Some great shots. Is there any possibility of you sending me an e-mail with these shots on? Or can I obtain them from you in another way?
Stuart
Old 20 Mar 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3045375)   #59
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SJWBallistic - what car were you driving? - I'll see if I have any photos of you.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3045380)   #60
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Percy
I was in car 22 the red Dastle shown in Grant's shots above.
Any shots would be great not that I am vain or anything
Stuart
Old 20 Mar 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3045398)   #61
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Hi Grant
Some great shots. Is there any possibility of you sending me an e-mail with these shots on? Or can I obtain them from you in another way?
Stuart
Stuart,

I have a few shots of you - it may take me a day or so to get through processing the entire weekend take. Plus one of my computers seems to have blown up a few minutes ago. Hopefully something trivial but a distraction nonetheless, espcially as it's the one I tend to leave for email activity. I'll be in touch as soon as I have things ready.

Grant
Old 20 Mar 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3045518)   #62
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I wondered where you had got to Richard. It looked like you were going rather well up to that point.

I can't recall whether it was Mr. Titchmarsh or Mr. Pye who suggested, at one point in the commentary, that the bodywork gave you some advantage as it would reduce or eliminate the spray from your front wheels.

I have to say that from where I was standing it didn't look like anything would be much of an advantage in those conditions.
The bodywork didn't make much of a difference - still couldn't see anything, could just hear the car if front.

The Revis was going very well, had got upto 3rd from a grid of 7th.
I thought it was a very good in the wet right upto the moment I fell off ... thats not fair it was purely driver error, nearly collected JB in the Cousy spun off, caught the spin but stalled - was great fun though.

you never know one of these day I'll get a finish.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3045527)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Truncated view because of the long lens Peter. 70-200 +2x extender for 400mm on a 1.3x crop body so an 'effective' look that would be provided by a 530mm lens in 35mm terms.

Plus there is a dip on the straight about half way along and in this shot pretty much all the tarmac after the dip up to the Esses is hidden, giving the impression that the straight is shorter than it really is.
Clever. In fact I took a peak at your website after looking at that pic.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3045539)   #64
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
not that I am vain or anything
Stuart
Dont worry Stuart, you sound pretty normal to me
Old 20 Mar 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3045569)   #65
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SJWBallistic - sorry, I seem to have been preoccupied with a few of the other cars in your race. I'll look out for you next time.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3045590)   #66
squadge
Rookie

England
Huddersfield/Newark
squadge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you HSCC, what a great weekend to start the marshalling year. I was the incident officer at post 23 (entry to the chicane) and was glad to see that Derek Smith in his Delta T80 FF2000 was ok after trying to take a different approach to the chicane. Thanks to the other marshals on post 23.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...unscathed.html

Ashley Locke
Old 20 Mar 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3045652)   #67
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
obviously before I threw the Revis off at Redgate
Ahhh the intrepid driver who I had predicted could win as you appeared to have more traction. That was until you became somewhat squirrelly and landed up at our feet. The prefect understatement when behind the safety of the barriers was "its very slippery out there"
Race control wondered if we needed the Snatch tractor to get the car off the circuit!!! I think we could have picked the car up and carried to the paddock.

Old 21 Mar 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3045733)   #68
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadge View Post
Thank you HSCC, what a great weekend to start the marshalling year. I was the incident officer at post 23 (entry to the chicane) and was glad to see that Derek Smith in his Delta T80 FF2000 was ok after trying to take a different approach to the chicane. Thanks to the other marshals on post 23.

Ashley Locke
Hmm. I briefly saw Charlie Wooding's pics of that. Looked like it simply dug in off the high kerb and then flipped.

Interesting that the article, in the Mail web site, seems to have a section that relates to 'The Sun'.

"The father-of-two told The Sun: 'I hit a kerb - and the car launched."

Still, some extra publicity for the race sponsors and it's good to know all is well for Derek.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3045807)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Mr Smith added...'I'll enjoy putting it back together'"

Good job, looks like Iain could do without any more work at the moment
Old 21 Mar 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3045815)   #70
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm. I briefly saw Charlie Wooding's pics of that. Looked like it simply dug in off the high kerb and then flipped.

Interesting that the article, in the Mail web site, seems to have a section that relates to 'The Sun'.

"The father-of-two told The Sun: 'I hit a kerb - and the car launched."

Still, some extra publicity for the race sponsors and it's good to know all is well for Derek.
Does that mean that the - in my opinion absurdly - high kerbs in the Donington Esses have now launched a car properly and claimed a victim as many feared from the beginning ?

I know the MSA had them put in for a reason, I just wonder if - on balance - that reason is good.

I would like to see a concrete run of in stead of at least part of the gravel trap at the Esses as they are nearly allways covered in spilt gravel that can cause the next accident.
You never know what to make of the next You come round in a race.

Bring back plastic bollards if You want to stop racers from cutting the chicane.

Rudolf
Old 21 Mar 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3045833)   #71
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Self Regulation

No doubt as a direct result of the lead article by Chairman Chris Sharples in the March HSCC magazine. The "Paddock Etiquette" displayed by all concerned was exemplary.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3045937)   #72
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also hit the kerb at the chicane earlier in the day but was more fortunate than the FF2000. I hit it first with my nearside front wheel and was launched over the kerb landing in the gravel sideways. My car stopped and then slowly tipped onto its side - it felt like slow motion from in the car, an Imp in the Historic Touring Car race. Once out, we only needed the gentlest push to put it back on its wheels but the gravel prevented us from being able to remove the car to a place of safety and it stayed in place for the remainder of the race, fortunately without further incident. And virtually no damage....

Note to self - even if you think you can outbrake the mini in front, it won't work if he goes up the escape road!

Last edited by simonb87; 21 Mar 2012 at 13:08. Reason: typo
Old 21 Mar 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3045941)   #73
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post

Note to self - even if you think you can outbrake the mini in front, it won't work if he goes up the escape road!
That's a cunning ploy.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3045943)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I saw a lot of folks out brake themselves whilst watching others overcook the chicane.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Mar 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3045961)   #75
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Does that mean that the - in my opinion absurdly - high kerbs in the Donington Esses have now launched a car properly and claimed a victim as many feared from the beginning ?

I know the MSA had them put in for a reason, I just wonder if - on balance - that reason is good.

I would like to see a concrete run of in stead of at least part of the gravel trap at the Esses as they are nearly allways covered in spilt gravel that can cause the next accident.
You never know what to make of the next You come round in a race.

Bring back plastic bollards if You want to stop racers from cutting the chicane.

Rudolf

Ähem.....
I fluffed a gearchange in the Esses, spun as result, backwards on to the kerbs, stranded for a moment but could luckyly get going again much to my own surprise.
I expected to feel spinning wheels which would have meant a yellow or red flag.

Rudolf