Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Aug 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3761176)   #2776
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I didn't say it was my motto, I think there would have been an 'irri' added somewhere...
Ah! You mean irritating! Very apt.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3761179)   #2777
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
You stuck your hand out of the window and made an anti clockwise circle with your hand
If you did that now you would get punch on the nose . 😀
Old 23 Aug 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3761184)   #2778
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ah! You mean irritating! Very apt.
My mother always told me not to judge other people by my own standards. It seems a shame that your mother obviously didn't give you the same advice!
Old 23 Aug 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3761207)   #2779
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
My mother always told me not to judge other people by my own standards. It seems a shame that your mother obviously didn't give you the same advice!
Maybe she did!
Old 23 Aug 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3761254)   #2780
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
When I was a skid pan instructor we used to dread the IAM coming...they knew the rule book inside out but had no concept of car dynamics or even in some cases how to drive outside their own little box on wheels. The ROSPA version (ROADAR) were much more skilful drivers.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Know just what you mean...I used to take great delight in demonstrating oversteer control operating the steering wheel one-handed just to watch the IAM guys' horrified expressions.........though when I promised not to tell anyone if they tried it, the more switched on ones admitted it was a lot easier than wheel shuffling.....

IAM also had an annoying habit of adjusting the mirrors before setting off, despite my protests that (a) I needed them where they were set so I could check the rams on the frame were operating equally, and (b) that no beggar was going to be overtaking them anywhere round or training course.......
Old 23 Aug 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3761255)   #2781
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Remember having to demonstrate hand signals on my test(s) in 1967 (failed November, passed December).

On the test I passed the examiner stopped me at one point and asked me why I'd given a hand signal.........I stammered something about "being on my test", so he asked if there had been anyone ahead or behind to see it? When I said "no" he suggested I only use signals when necessary......

He also asked me at the end what you should do when you saw a Steep Hill sign - "change down a gear" I promptly replied..........getting the response "Why didn't you?" ...... A discussion ensued about us not having been on any hills long enough to merit such action, and a further discussion about why such action was called for......ending in his comment - "You know what you're doing and why - just put it into practice!" and handed over the prized pink slip!
Old 23 Aug 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3761260)   #2782
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once manufacturers start producing Level Five autonomous cars, driver's license will be redundant. Now isn't that a pleasant thought?
Old 23 Aug 2017, 21:19 (Ref:3761264)   #2783
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Is it me but have any of you noticed how young these Clerk of the Corse chaps are these day . Bit like police men I guess . We were out in Copenhagen a few weeks back and I raised my hand before this young chap started talking . His reply was he was 42 . Well that's young in my book . Anyway he was a jolly good chap and I did not see him again that weekend so good news . Got to Nurburgring and I was summoned up as soon as I finished qualy. The Germans said I had not signed on . That's a new one . Bit embarrassed as I had not .
Old 23 Aug 2017, 22:44 (Ref:3761279)   #2784
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Is it me but have any of you noticed how young these Clerk of the Corse chaps are these day . Bit like police men I guess . We were out in Copenhagen a few weeks back and I raised my hand before this young chap started talking . His reply was he was 42 . Well that's young in my book . Anyway he was a jolly good chap and I did not see him again that weekend so good news . Got to Nurburgring and I was summoned up as soon as I finished qualy. The Germans said I had not signed on . That's a new one . Bit embarrassed as I had not .
Hadn't they signed you on ready for your arrival? Don't they know who you are?
Old 24 Aug 2017, 00:32 (Ref:3761294)   #2785
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
Once manufacturers start producing Level Five autonomous cars, driver's license will be redundant. Now isn't that a pleasant thought?
Probably very pleasant to your wife !
Old 24 Aug 2017, 05:34 (Ref:3761315)   #2786
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Is it me but have any of you noticed how young these Clerk of the Corse chaps are these day . Bit like police men I guess .
Well, I'm sure you read the latest 'MSA Extra' that arrived in your email the other day.....

In the Volunteers section- 'Youngest Race Nat B Clerk of the Course at 18'

Old 24 Aug 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3761335)   #2787
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it me but have any of you noticed how young these Clerk of the Corse chaps are these day . Bit like police men I guess . We were out in Copenhagen a few weeks back and I raised my hand before this young chap started talking . His reply was he was 42 . Well that's young in my book . Anyway he was a jolly good chap and I did not see him again that weekend so good news .
Iain did certainly not complain about the age of the competition secretary, though, when he ended up next to her and another lady (girl) at the Copenhagen ProAm dinner
Old 24 Aug 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3761337)   #2788
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-G Sjöberg View Post
Iain did certainly not complain about the age of the competition secretary, though, when he ended up next to her and another lady (girl) at the Copenhagen ProAm dinner
Presumably that was one of Iain's 'Happy Days'!!
Old 24 Aug 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3761340)   #2789
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Happy evening and she likes football. Yes .
Old 24 Aug 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3761343)   #2790
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm having a very happy day. Granddaughter just had results of her GCSEs, and breezed through all 10 of them, putting her in the top 3.5% in the UK.

Obviously takes after me!
Old 24 Aug 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3761378)   #2791
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gerard C. Yes, Level Five autonomy will mitigate wife's situational awareness issue, can't wait! However a Level Five Jeep Wrangler sounds like an oxymoron, counter intuitive at best, taking all the fun out of driving a Jeep.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3761398)   #2792
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Do you have a patent for your Taco Jeep, wrapped with a garage door?
Old 24 Aug 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3761409)   #2793
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
It was like the Jeep was in a pup tent. Fortunately everything was reparable. I paid for all the repairs out of pocket, too embarrassed to call either the automobile or homeowner's insurance companies!
Old 24 Aug 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3761410)   #2794
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm having a very happy day. Granddaughter just had results of her GCSEs, and breezed through all 10 of them, putting her in the top 3.5% in the UK.

Obviously takes after me!
Ah! But is she as pretty as you Mike?
Old 24 Aug 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3761417)   #2795
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ah! But is she as pretty as you Mike?
Thank G*d, she is a hell of a lot prettier! That's one department that she doesn't take after in my side of the family.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3761552)   #2796
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
I paid for all the repairs out of pocket, too embarrassed to call either the automobile or homeowner's insurance companies!
Interesting as I'm in the middle of an embarrassing situation with insurers at the moment. A week ago my wife set off down the drive on a miserable, wet morning and manouvered to her left to negotiate the gateway and straight in to my car's rear quarter panel! We had been out the previous evening and I was going to pull ahead of her car but she asked me not to go too far forward as she didn't want to get wet between car and house door. We are with the same insurer so two lots of deductibles no doubt.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3761555)   #2797
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure that the insurance company will be well used to such claims!

This came up on the Interweb this morning. You'd thought the current owner would have taken a little more care of the car....... https://www.rmsothebys.com/ff17/ferr...lietti/1704895
Old 25 Aug 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3761562)   #2798
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I'm sure that the insurance company will be well used to such claims!

This came up on the Interweb this morning. You'd thought the current owner would have taken a little more care of the car....... https://www.rmsothebys.com/ff17/ferr...lietti/1704895
It was probably almost perfect until the owner was told it might fetch more as a barn find ....

Old 25 Aug 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3761571)   #2799
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It was probably almost perfect until the owner was told it might fetch more as a barn find ....

D'you think there's money to be made in creating 'barn finds'? New business oportunity! Need some bats, few chickens, and of course a building full of 4 legged rodents.....
Old 25 Aug 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3761573)   #2800
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
D'you think there's money to be made in creating 'barn finds'? New business oportunity! Need some bats, few chickens, and of course a building full of 4 legged rodents.....
There are, already, enough rodents, albeit the two legged variety, in the motor trade. Don't go around proposing yet more!
Closed Thread