Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 5 Sep 2013, 05:09 (Ref:3299213)   #1
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2KCup

I have entered myself into the 2Kcup basics of the class buy a under 2 litre non turbo car for under $2000 and get ready to race. You can check it out on www.2kcup.com.

Is anyone else here entered to do the events?

What car would people choose?

I went with a 1995 Mazda Lantis 2 ltr V6.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 05:26 (Ref:3299220)   #2
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SW20 MR2 seems to be the car to beat so far.
Old 6 Sep 2013, 04:31 (Ref:3299760)   #3
flyingduck
Veteran

It sure does blueblood seemed to be pretty reliable which is the hard thing in the class. They sent out this morning that the grid is fully subscribed at 45 cars and there is a wait list.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3302360)   #4
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear that a roll cage is 'optional'! Not sure if that is a good decision. I know that is a low cost class, but safety should always be paramount. Speeds will still be well over 100kph.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3302961)   #5
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
I hear that a roll cage is 'optional'! Not sure if that is a good decision. I know that is a low cost class, but safety should always be paramount. Speeds will still be well over 100kph.
You just have to watch the follow to realise slow/small cars can still have a big shunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...n1rhcSoA#t=465

Fast forward to 7.55

Now what wouldve happened if that car didnt have a cage?
Old 12 Sep 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3302969)   #6
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly....! now imagine if that was a MR2 with half a roof 50mm from the top of your head! Would not end well.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 23:02 (Ref:3303051)   #7
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
I went with a 1995 Mazda Lantis 2 ltr V6.

A colleague of a friend of mine is also entering this class in a Mazda Lantis. He's a pretty handy driver by all accounts. The grid looks massive and a hell of a lot of fun

Good luck FD
Old 15 Sep 2013, 03:50 (Ref:3304077)   #8
flyingduck
Veteran

I understand what you are saying re roll cages but 100's of cars are on track days that are uncaged. There is some good interest with full grids.

Thanks NZSTFan I will need some luck as I don't know if I will get to test at all before hand
Old 23 Sep 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3308114)   #9
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There is a big difference between a few cars on a track doing laps. Than a full grid each to their own start of a race.
That's my concern
Old 23 Sep 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3308364)   #10
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
There is a big difference between a few cars on a track doing laps. Than a full grid each to their own start of a race.
That's my concern

I totally agree Brick. You are right. Once again. As always.

This is madness. People getting involved with the sport - memberships and licences up. What a strain this will put on the delicate mechanism of our wonderful governg body!

Articles in the Newspaper FFS!http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=11127607

Where will it end?

These will be totally lethal rocketships what with less than 185hp

As long as the curb weight is under 1500kg, Engine size under 2000cc and its not making any more than 185hp from factory. It will most likely be accepted. It must be a car that was released before 1997 (1996 and before) and produced before 2000 (1999 and before).

For the life of me I can't see how running on road tyres would control speed particularly as the door is wide open for no modificaions.

This is so not the way forward! Drifting is how we capture the new generation. (Note to self, see if it is possible to get local club to arrange for a licence evening for the drift chappies since they are charging the door down)

Lets critisise this inititive to death and slather it with negativity.
Cost effective fun within motorsport? Pah!

That will be all.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3308401)   #11
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good post icarus, spot on with the point and expanding it in ways unwritten but intended. Well done on adding correctly and positivly to the thread. As always.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 05:49 (Ref:3308561)   #12
flyingduck
Veteran

Well brick I have been to lots of track days with 30+ cars and they had no problems in the first 2 races. We will see on Saturday who is right

Over 80 new licenses, organizers that get sponsor to offer discounts to competitors. I believe sabelt sold 15+ seats!
Old 21 Mar 2014, 02:28 (Ref:3382521)   #13
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So whats the verdict???

Looks like they had lots of cars, lots of new people and lots of fun....

Seems so good that there is a 2K Cup South island starting up now as well...

Last edited by CDM; 21 Mar 2014 at 02:34. Reason: Heaps not the best word, so changed to lots
Old 21 Mar 2014, 02:57 (Ref:3382525)   #14
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
So whats the verdict???

Looks like they had lots of cars, lots of new people and lots of fun....

Seems so good that there is a 2K Cup South island starting up now as well...
From the looks of things it’s exactly as advertised by Icarus…. Big fields of new-to-the-sport drivers, all having a great time and driving fairly sensibly….. Must also say that I took a stroll through pits at HD and I can’t remember the last time I saw so many drivers who actually looke like they were enjoying themselves (plenty of smiles and from the sounds of things plenty of banter between the drivers).
Old 21 Mar 2014, 03:53 (Ref:3382530)   #15
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are indeed loads of cars without cages and yes, accidents will always happen - but they also happen on the roads when you are mixing cars and bikes with trucks and utes going in opposite directions, not knowing whether or not the pilots have been drinking or even have a licence.

Just remember it is only in the last few years that saloon cars had any roll protection at all, even 5 and 6 litre cars, so were there 100's of deaths in motorsport pre cages?
Old 21 Mar 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3382844)   #16
Rocket Man
Rookie

Rocket Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
There are indeed loads of cars without cages and yes, accidents will always happen - but they also happen on the roads when you are mixing cars and bikes with trucks and utes going in opposite directions, not knowing whether or not the pilots have been drinking or even have a licence.

Just remember it is only in the last few years that saloon cars had any roll protection at all, even 5 and 6 litre cars, so were there 100's of deaths in motorsport pre cages?
Socam, that is a stupid thing to say. Your talking about a totally different concept.
These 2k cars have guys trying to be race car drivers, albeit, most of them will have no experience or skill at all. They are in cheep buckets of "%&* most of them, and if your going to race at any level, the whole safety issue should be in place, including cages.
You also say that it's only in the last few years that saloon cars have had any roll protection at all. well it might be only a few years to you but it was a very long time ago to me that, that was the case. Also we are talking about purpose built Racecars, race suspension, lowered and set up to handle correctly, wider slick tyres etc and drivers that were observed and learnt there skill on the track.
Yes it might be a big class now, (2k) so even more potential for that serious accident.
Isn't it Safety First, when it comes to any sort of motor racing.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 05:52 (Ref:3382907)   #17
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
These 2k cars have guys trying to be race car drivers, albeit, most of them will have no experience or skill at all. They are in cheep buckets of "%&* most of them, and if your going to race at any level, the whole safety issue should be in place, including cages.
I have been spectating since 1951, competing since 1970 and involved with race organisation since 1977 and I say again, the number of fatalities in saloon cars over that period of time, considering the number of cars, meetings and laps, is minimal and to date, never at any meeting I have attended.

Have you even seen the U2K cars racing? I doubt that Racing Ray Williams, Paul McCarthy, Dunkley (sorry, cant remember which one!) and Roger Williams are exactly short of skill and experience and I gather that overall, the standard of driving has been much better than in some of the higher profile series.

All cars have to have a current WoF and registration and whilst they may not be purpose built race cars they are not rust buckets either. Sure, there are even scrutineers who disagree with the concept but if full cages were mandatory for all classes, Classic and Historic racing would be wiped out overnight. It has always been possible to race a standard car without a cage so this is nothing new.

Last edited by socram; 22 Mar 2014 at 06:01.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3450937)   #18
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we now need these cars to fill the card over the summer at Premier race meetings.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3451121)   #19
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
I think we now need these cars to fill the card over the summer at Premier race meetings.
Great idea.... BUT....

Isnt it too late??? As part of the 2K Cup SI crew we have already set dates etc for our upcoming season so (even if invited) its unfair to add in extra rounds.

The people running these "premier" race meetings should have their classes well finalised before now. Don't get me wrong having the most entry level class alongside the top classes is a great idea, but simply not practical at such late notice.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 01:29 (Ref:3457409)   #20
flyingduck
Veteran

91 Cars entered for round 1 of the 2014/15 series that must be a record for Hampton Downs
Old 25 Sep 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3457441)   #21
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look out for car 24 FD best looking 2k cup car I reckon....but I am somewhat biased pity I can't see the Lantis in action for R1 as we will be in Taupo with the circus.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3457450)   #22
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
91 Cars entered for round 1 of the 2014/15 series that must be a record for Hampton Downs
That is two full grids. Oh, and about 50% more entries than a tier 1 meeting at Taupo not so very long ago.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 09:07 (Ref:3457475)   #23
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
That is two full grids. Oh, and about 50% more entries than a tier 1 meeting at Taupo not so very long ago.
the last stand alone st meeting had even less. the supports were a dozen V8 utes and 4-5 open to anyone time attack cars. no wonder people stay away from these so called top tier events.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3457480)   #24
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
the last stand alone st meeting had even less. the supports were a dozen V8 utes and 4-5 open to anyone time attack cars. no wonder people stay away from these so called top tier events.
That said, there's 25 (entry list says 26, with a 'TBA' thrown in there) SsangYongs and about 5 million BMW's at this weekends SuperTourer meeting.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3457535)   #25
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
will the new trucks be entertaining? there were talk of them being even slower than the E30s