Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Aug 2016, 21:34 (Ref:3668826)   #4151
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
So what's up with Keating going or not going to prototype but sticking with GTD? I haven't seen anything but I heard something on the broadcast he might still be involved with a GTD program in 2017?
According to this comically titled MP article it looks like the door could still be open to run the P2 alongside a GTD.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13374...onfirmed-plans

"There's a strong possibility I'll be driving two cars in two classes".
Old 31 Aug 2016, 21:55 (Ref:3668827)   #4152
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cut Ben some slack !! Who's Business is it anyway ?? The time to ask the questions are WHEN he announces the 2017 Program .

Though I take away from it all that getting an invite to LM is the priority

Not to sure on the WEC reference ??

Would certainly like to see him in P-2 and GTD . So if the P-2 is confirmed with Riley AND the Viper is still Legal for 2017 , What's The Problem ??
Old 31 Aug 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3668830)   #4153
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Cut Ben some slack !! Who's Business is it anyway ?? The time to ask the questions are WHEN he announces the 2017 Program .

Though I take away from it all that getting an invite to LM is the priority

Not to sure on the WEC reference ??

Would certainly like to see him in P-2 and GTD . So if the P-2 is confirmed with Riley AND the Viper is still Legal for 2017 , What's The Problem ??
I don't think he wants to pay the IMSA partner fee again so he would be looking at running with a manufacturer that is willing to pony up. (Rumour was Mercedes).
Old 31 Aug 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3668835)   #4154
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounding like a broken record here but, they really need to get rid of those "partner fees" for GTD

That class is for privateers and and has the role as the feeder class
Old 31 Aug 2016, 23:53 (Ref:3668841)   #4155
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Sounding like a broken record here but, they really need to get rid of those "partner fees" for GTD

I could not agree with you more on the GTD class.

I might be a little more flexible on my thinking as relates to the GTLM class . THOUGH the teams running GTLM are basicly Privateers themselves . I have no knowledge on each teams cost structure as I would tend to think that Ferrari RISI probably has a different deal than RLL BMW etc

I am sure that within GTD through different " Alliances " some Privateers may have a better deal than others running the same MFG.

Still waiting to see what the percieved budget for 2017 P-2 cars vs some of the GTD / GT3 costs will be
Old 1 Sep 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3668846)   #4156
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Ford, Corvette and Porsche/Core are basically factory teams as it stands. Risi is about the only true privateer in GTLM right now, though they get customer support from Ferrari. AF Corsa is in a similar position in GTE Pro in the WEC, in that they're not a direct factory team, but are in their case are a semi-factory customer team for Ferrari. And the Dempsey-Proton Porsches (both Pro and Am) are private entries with support from Porsche.

Of course, in GTE Am, outside of AMR, all teams are basically privateers.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 00:51 (Ref:3668851)   #4157
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Hmm, and how many Privateers paid that fee? 1!

L.P.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3669015)   #4158
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13374...r-october-test

Karam is totally out of that seat.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 13:53 (Ref:3669203)   #4159
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13374...r-october-test

Karam is totally out of that seat.

Wow professional race car driving is a rough business. Rides are few and far between. I remember when the Ford Ganassi guys last year said they were able to choose among at least 40 quality pro drivers contending for those seats/jobs. I wonder how much money some of them actually make driving as a full time or part time ride in the IMSA series. I mean is it at least enough to pay the rent or mortgage and buy the groceries?
Old 2 Sep 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3669219)   #4160
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Wow professional race car driving is a rough business. Rides are few and far between. I remember when the Ford Ganassi guys last year said they were able to choose among at least 40 quality pro drivers contending for those seats/jobs. I wonder how much money some of them actually make driving as a full time or part time ride in the IMSA series. I mean is it at least enough to pay the rent or mortgage and buy the groceries?
MaskedRacer : Not sure about the rest of the world BUT with very few exceptions I can't think of any PRO Sportscar drivers that have to be concerned if the PAY for driving will cover the Rent or Groceries .

Either you have Extreme Talent . NOT always the case , A very fat Wallet , or a goodly amount of Sponsorship you are bringing with you

Not trying to offend you it is just the REALITY of Professional Sportscar Racing
Old 2 Sep 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3669222)   #4161
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Pro racecar drivers do lots of things they don't want you to know because it makes them not look cool. Things like:
1. Driver coaching. This can be anything from a Chump Car all the way up the ladder.
2. Work for a drivers school (i.e. Skippy or Bondurant)
3. A manufacturers driver academy. An example of this is when you buy a new M3 and pick it up at the Spartansburg BMW plant. These Pro drivers will show you the car and then instruct you how to drive it on their track. Same for others like Porsche, Jag, Lambo, etc...
4. Work for a manufacturer where you do new product launches for all of the dealer sales staff
5. Work for a manufacturer where you sit in a mall and get peoples info in exchange for a gift card.
6. Work at a bar or a waiter at a restaurant.
7. Work in the family business

Many that are younger, actually still live at home with their parents as that can cut expenses. I know many that have and do. Having a paid pro ride today can lead to the unemployment line the next. So, you have to have a backup plan.

As for Sage, you can call him Coach Karam:
http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/...320-story.html

I do see that his cousin (Luke) is going to Lehigh to do wrestling. I have a feeling that along with wrestling and that Lehigh is a really good engineering school, he will get an education and thus a real job because you can't wrestle forever.
http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/...929-story.html

The backup plan of getting a college education while wrestling and that your family is pretty much into being wrestling coaches, I have a feeling that his career will be a bit more stable as opposed to trying to get an Indycar ride or as recently, a non functioning sportscar ride. Plus, the cost for a year at Lehigh is the price for renting a GS car for a single race. So, half a season in GS or 5 years at a really good college?

As you can see, choosing the path of a Pro Sportscar Driver or Pro Indycar Driver is way more risky career move.

What is real ironic, is that his local neighbor has a full time GTD and ST seat for the season. Makes you think that the press jumped on the wrong horse because you sure do hear much more about Sage as opposed to Corey.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 21:36 (Ref:3669294)   #4162
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

He still seems to think he has the ride for next year so maybe it's not definite that he's out. The last couple years he was being hyped as the next top young American driver but Newgarden has that role now in IndyCar.

I think a lot of people find him off putting because he's a jock and comes off as arrogant, always posing with his shirt off. That might make him popular with teen girls but isn't going to impress anyone in a racing garage.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3669303)   #4163
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did make it into the Lehigh Valley Style magazine with the Men of Style edition. I know I didn't and neither did his neighbor who has actually been behind the wheel of a racecar this year. So maybe he needs to throttle back on the style a bit then.

http://www.lehighvalleystyle.com/February-2016/
Old 3 Sep 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3669392)   #4164
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
He still seems to think he has the ride for next year so maybe it's not definite that he's out. The last couple years he was being hyped as the next top young American driver but Newgarden has that role now in IndyCar.

I think a lot of people find him off putting because he's a jock and comes off as arrogant, always posing with his shirt off. That might make him popular with teen girls but isn't going to impress anyone in a racing garage.
Add in the fact he wads things up all the time.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3669404)   #4165
jjvincent
Racer

My guess is that in racing, going to the next level is pretty much a quantum leap in how much money you need to spend. Like many, the family and friends only have so much of that, thus those top rides are not in reach any more. It's pretty hard to compete against good drivers that have plenty of funding behind them. When you lack those two qualities, getting a ride is not so easy any more. Case in point,Mikhail Aleshin. When you have a totally blank car, it's obvious someone is writing the check to make it happen and the one who is not, is the team owner. Plus the fact that even more major sponsors are pulling their Indycar funding, the chance for a regular driver making it any more is now 100% gone.

Indycar needs to go with a two driver system and make it Pro-Am. Then the driver coaches could then have a job again in that series as opposed to only doing it in sportscar racing.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3670530)   #4166
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Unlike Cooper's fiasco. The gripe Magnus has is very legit. They got screwed over big time.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3670539)   #4167
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/vi...ley-lmp2-deal/
Old 6 Sep 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3670577)   #4168
Rcz
Veteran

United States
It's one of those damn if you do and damn if don't. Ride height violation seems such a common penalty but it is part of the rules as long as they are fair and clear with everyone. Also how does the PWC threat will solve anything. If you violated rules there you will be disqualified as well. Everyone has this rule.

If I made suggest however why not just get ride height rules?
Old 6 Sep 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3670588)   #4169
jjvincent
Racer

Any news on why Black Swan Racing is racing at Sonoma for the PWC race as opposed to the IMSA one at CoTA?
Old 6 Sep 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3670589)   #4170
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's one of those damn if you do and damn if don't. Ride height violation seems such a common penalty but it is part of the rules as long as they are fair and clear with everyone. Also how does the PWC threat will solve anything. If you violated rules there you will be disqualified as well. Everyone has this rule.

If I made suggest however why not just get ride height rules?
The problem for Magnus as far as I can gather is they, or someone else, have had a ride height infringment penalty waved in the past after showing it was a small piece too low as a result of an in-race incident. The R8 was NOT too low by setup but rather a very small piece of broken diffuser, and IMSA agreed it was the one small section that did not clear. The team could show that exact piece making contact with another car in an early race incident but IMSA decided this time 'no dice, you're out' was the right call. IF Magnus' claims were factually correct that's a bad taste to have lingering going in to the end of the year decision about where to race.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3670591)   #4171
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That Mercedes would have sounded sooooooooooooo nice.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 6 Sep 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3670596)   #4172
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Yes that Merc engine would have sound great. But you know, those darn rules!
Old 6 Sep 2016, 20:13 (Ref:3670603)   #4173
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The problem for Magnus as far as I can gather is they, or someone else, have had a ride height infringment penalty waved in the past after showing it was a small piece too low as a result of an in-race incident. The R8 was NOT too low by setup but rather a very small piece of broken diffuser, and IMSA agreed it was the one small section that did not clear. The team could show that exact piece making contact with another car in an early race incident but IMSA decided this time 'no dice, you're out' was the right call. IF Magnus' claims were factually correct that's a bad taste to have lingering going in to the end of the year decision about where to race.
I've been through tech so many times, it pretty much comes down to a few things when it comes to penalties.

1. You know exactly what rules should never be broken. So, if the minimum weight is 3000lbs, then make the car 3005 lbs. You know they are always going to check it, so just make sure that you are safe. That 5 lbs is not going to make a difference over the long haul. The difference might be you are microscopically slower vs being DQ'd completely.

2. If you got nailed before and they gave you a pass, make sure you will pass that single item 100% of the time at least to the end of the season. This is like passing by the local cop each day. One day you get pulled over for speeding and he gives you a warning. Go by the next day speeding again, you will be getting a ticket no matter what and for the full amount.

3. Don't constantly be breaking the rules. If the wing is off a bit one race, splitter the next, camber the next and ride height the next, fully expect for the hammer to come down because they are just getting tired of handing out free passes.

4. The person doing the inspection. Trust me, some people are just either so over the top at doing this or not too bright that they can take one small problem and blow it up as a major infraction.

5. Two sides to every story. Normally the tech inspectors are not there to just DQ cars left and right. Not that it hasn't been done before but if that's the case, you'll see teams leave left and right. There's no reason to make this like the Runoffs and have three days of tech just looking forever for something to find wrong. Then there are the teams. I rarely ever heard a team that just said, "Yep, we were cheating and wanted to see how far it would go." Normally, teams want to make sure that the basics will pass every time as they know they will be checked no matter what (i.e. ride height, camber, wing placement, weight, restrictor). So the team might look at something as it's perfectly acceptable yet tech does not. In the end, both point the finger at each other.

I look at it as not knowing what led up to this makes it hard to determine if the punishment fits the crime.

Also, PWC does it the same way. So it's not like one is better or worse than the other.
Old 6 Sep 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3670604)   #4174
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
I've been through tech so many times, it pretty much comes down to a few things when it comes to penalties.

1. You know exactly what rules should never be broken. So, if the minimum weight is 3000lbs, then make the car 3005 lbs. You know they are always going to check it, so just make sure that you are safe. That 5 lbs is not going to make a difference over the long haul. The difference might be you are microscopically slower vs being DQ'd completely.

2. If you got nailed before and they gave you a pass, make sure you will pass that single item 100% of the time at least to the end of the season. This is like passing by the local cop each day. One day you get pulled over for speeding and he gives you a warning. Go by the next day speeding again, you will be getting a ticket no matter what and for the full amount.

3. Don't constantly be breaking the rules. If the wing is off a bit one race, splitter the next, camber the next and ride height the next, fully expect for the hammer to come down because they are just getting tired of handing out free passes.

4. The person doing the inspection. Trust me, some people are just either so over the top at doing this or not too bright that they can take one small problem and blow it up as a major infraction.

5. Two sides to every story. Normally the tech inspectors are not there to just DQ cars left and right. Not that it hasn't been done before but if that's the case, you'll see teams leave left and right. There's no reason to make this like the Runoffs and have three days of tech just looking forever for something to find wrong. Then there are the teams. I rarely ever heard a team that just said, "Yep, we were cheating and wanted to see how far it would go." Normally, teams want to make sure that the basics will pass every time as they know they will be checked no matter what (i.e. ride height, camber, wing placement, weight, restrictor). So the team might look at something as it's perfectly acceptable yet tech does not. In the end, both point the finger at each other.

I look at it as not knowing what led up to this makes it hard to determine if the punishment fits the crime.

Also, PWC does it the same way. So it's not like one is better or worse than the other.
The car was likely right on the limit at pre-race tech... they in no doubt were told, or knew it from their own setup. 1 mil is nothing, if they we literally low in one place without appreciable damage, it probably was in the stewards eye that the car was low, here is your penalty.

Who knows, it's always tough to say what goes on. I've had to grind off extra epoxy on repaired CF parts because it made the floor too low in one spot. It's their discretion.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 6 Sep 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3670606)   #4175
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Yeah, I see it as they've been sliding most of the year and that this was IMSA not letting things fly anymore.