Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 28 Feb 2011, 03:26 (Ref:2837760)   #1
Will3
Rookie

United States
Will3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will's Tracks

I would like to start out with saying that while i'm a new member, I have long lurked in these forums and have even come up with a few of my own designs, they don't really have names but they're decent.

First They're all pretty flat. the first one drops a bit in turn 6 and climbs a bit in turn 2. It has 3 loops, GP, East and South.

The second one is pretty flat as well, it drops in the curves and climbs on the straights. The exception is the last turn before the back striaght which climbs.

The third one is just flat, pretty plain, has 3 loops.

The last one takes its inspiration from the original Fuji a bit and Suzuka. It has alot of elevation changes but the last turn and front straight are level. The last turn is banked steeply, circa 30 degrees. The track climbs and drops around the crossover, the under drops and the over climbs.

All are clockwise and for lack of anything better, all are done in MS Paint.

All the ones I have so far in MS paint are clockwise but I think I did one or two in Gmap pedometer which went counterclockwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Track lap circuit.jpg   Untitled2.jpg   Random 3.png  

Untitled.png  
Old 28 Feb 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2837767)   #2
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the board!!!

You sure know what you're doing, I like your designs, they are very real and functional, well thought. I see no fundamental safety issues in them at first glance. I recomend you download Google Sketchup, it's free and it's the tool of choice of most of us amateur designers, unless you have CAD or something more serious.

Your tracks have quite a british flavor to me, can't pinpoint exactly why but I like them , especially the 1rst and 4th one I like.

Welcome Will3, nice to have you on board.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2837867)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Hmmm
I especially like one, although 2 is pretty cool too. I'm not a great fan og that long looping corner on four and three is also interesting to me. The presentation is also great.
You must have a lot more patience than me when working with MS Paint!
Old 28 Feb 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2838104)   #4
Will3
Rookie

United States
Luiggispeed- Thanks, When I was younger I always did doodles of tracks, probably could fill a bookshelf with em. I'm not sure about the british flavor much, I don't get much British racing so I dont see the circuits, I get BTCC, WTCC and DTM over here. I don't really know where that comes from but thanks. I'll look at a new program. I used to play rfactor some and did some tracks in BTB, the software for it, I had one which drew on inspiration from Portland (albiet a mirrored version), Road Atlanta's double apex turn and the Lowes Hairpen at Monaco and the surrounding corners. and a small bit with Nurburgring inspiration. Then it went into an enormous loop. The short track (everything but the enormous loop) was about 2.5 km, the long track was about 6.7. i'll doodle another map of it later on.

Teretonga- The long last turn takes inspiration from the Brooklands kinda, imagine it like a newly paved brooklands with a concrete outside wall. Thank you, i've done these doodles for years, i'm used to it, and i kinda like slow patient tasks kinda.

Heres one more I drew up when they were talking about the Rome GP in the EUR district:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4318720

I also have a few in San Fransisco and others, probably about 15 off the top of my head.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 00:51 (Ref:2840418)   #5
Will3
Rookie

United States
Well now I have a few CAD programs including CAD and Sketchup, i'll install em towmorrow and do some things in em and come up with some new designs. I have experience with CAD but are there any major differences with sketchup?
Old 5 Mar 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2840426)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sketch-up is a very straight forward CAD package for all types of users.

It can be as simple as you want it to be, or as complex and frustrating as your wits allow. The biggy with sketchup is making sure that everything is on a layer, as layering issues are the bane of my designing life. (that and a PC who's graphics card is a little understrength).

For a simple intro to sketchup take a look the tutorial thread that I started and others have contributed to.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 02:31 (Ref:2840429)   #7
Will3
Rookie

United States
excellent thank you