Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Sep 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2959965)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
South African Drivers in Europe

There have been many but not many of them progressed beyond either F3 or F2/F3000 level. This can't have been because they weren't good enough?

Off the top of my head:

Basil & Trevor Van Rooyen (Basil did some F1 iirc?)
Ian Scheckter
Rad Dougall
Mike White
Hilton Cowie
Chad Wentzel
Stephen Watson
Toby Scheckter
Thomas Scheckter
Etienne Van Der Linde
Garth Waberski
Christiano Morgado
Adrian Zaugg

Does anyone have any favourites?

Would any of them have made an impression had they reached the pinnacle?

Where are they now?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2959970)   #2
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jody Scheckter you've obviously taken as read!

Desire Wilson?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2959988)   #3
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Duxbury, the 1980 FF2000 Reynard SF80 did't help his career in UK.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 23 Sep 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2960063)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Jody Scheckter you've obviously taken as read!

Desire Wilson?
Yes, well only because he made it!

Desire was pretty good actually, you're not plugging her book are you Clive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 2 Racing View Post
Graham Duxbury, the 1980 FF2000 Reynard SF80 did't help his career in UK.
Crikey, there's a name I hadn't thought of! Did he end up doing Group C or something?

For me White's possibly the biggest SA talent that got away, but why he couldn't have carried on after the March 81 problems I don't know. Were his drives works supported or something because he must have had financial troubles as people couldn't have thought he was the reason for the 81 failure surely? The car couldn't compete with the Ralt in the UK.

I think i remember that if March had complete control on the drivers for the BMW F2 programme they would've signed him for 1980 but they didn't have. Things might have turned out very differently for him.

Van der Linde was mega quick as well, but he might have been one of those natural talents that lack the application?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2960156)   #5
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M.G. (Mike) de Udy; raced Group 4/5/6 sports cars in the late sixties/early seventies. Porsche 906 and Lola T70 Mk.3 spring to mind....
Old 23 Sep 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2960170)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

There's a name to conjour with!

My old man mentioned him in the past. As a relative youngster he used to watch local Sports GT races at Combe and there was local ace; Ron Fry with his GT40 who used to dominate until one weekend De Udy turned up with his Porsche (908?) as a runout and blew hmi into the weeds!

I guess that's the difference between enthusiastic amateur and half decent pro!

Got to say Rad Dougall was bloody good as well, such a shame his early season F2 form in 1979 couldn't last the season. He had been quick in FF, F3 and F2.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2960182)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had been looking at doing some 4x4 driving in southern Africa and came across this:

http://www.southernafrica4x4.com/#

Rad Dougall is in the rental business of land rover 4x4's in Joburg.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2960216)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Crikey, there's a name I hadn't thought of! Did he end up doing Group C or something?
Think the main car I associate Duxbury's name with in sportscars is the 'Kreepy Krauly' March-Porsche, which won the Daytona 24 hours in '84, and was also occasionally seen in Europe (Le Mans the same year?)
Was this a South African team competing in the US and Europe? IIRC, the money was certainly from South Africa (pool-cleaning equipment wasn't it?)
http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/...epy_Krauly.jpg

There were a few South Africans who appeared periodically in Europe in Group C- Duxbury, Sarel van der Merwe (occasional works Porsche drives), George Fouche (usually in Kremer 956s with 'Pretoria Brick' sponsorship http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3533/...6aae90bac0.jpg ) and Wayne Taylor all come to mind, although I guess Taylor is better-known these days for his subsequent career in the US.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2960298)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes that's right there was quite a few guys out in Group C and IMSA. Van der Merwe was possibly the most famous and successful South African driver after Jody Scheckter retired, and he was a bit of an all rounder to boot taking in rallying as well.

Wayne Taylor's an interesting one as he kind of became synonymous with Spice in Group C but I seem to recall there was a strong possibility that he was going to do F3000 in the late 80's.

I think he may well have tested but never actually entered? His sometime teammate Fermin Velez did take the plunge that but without any success.
Old 24 Sep 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2960465)   #10
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two pre-war voiturette drivers of no mean ability: Pat Fairfield (killed at Le Mans in 1937) and Norman Wilson (subject of a wonderful Klemantaski photo, died in an air crash 1942).

Bob Marley
Old 24 Sep 2011, 19:35 (Ref:2960470)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I had been looking at doing some 4x4 driving in southern Africa and came across this:

http://www.southernafrica4x4.com/#

Rad Dougall is in the rental business of land rover 4x4's in Joburg.
Wow, thanks for the info and link!

He had a lot of potential, shame his single seater career stopped and the touring car one also hardly got off the ground.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2965628)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
Two pre-war voiturette drivers of no mean ability: Pat Fairfield (killed at Le Mans in 1937) and Norman Wilson (subject of a wonderful Klemantaski photo, died in an air crash 1942).
Wow thanks for the offerings Vitesse, these are names that not many people under the age of 40 would have thought of I suspect?

Can you tell us some more about them please?
Old 6 Oct 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2966512)   #13
Gavin RS
Rookie

South Africa
Randburg South Africa
Gavin RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys, Also Tony Martin, partnered with Sarel vd Merwe and Graham Duxbury to win the 1984 Daytona 24 hours.

I know Tony very well, he shared my Lotus 7 in a 3 hour endurance event in 2007. I was running in the rain for at least 20min then came in for a driver change, Tony took over from me and his lap times in the wet were quicker than my dry lap times. he now builds Cobra race cars (BACKDRAFT) and has probably the quickest car on track in the country.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2966521)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I think Tony Martin might have visited these shores in the ETC at one point, does that sound about right?

Or am I getting confused with Tony Viana?
Old 6 Oct 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2966545)   #15
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that it would have been Viana. Shaun v.d. Linde did a few touring car races, as did Mike Briggs (runs some petrol garages in PE, I think).

Hennie Groenewald was quite quick in F3 back in 93. Marco dos Santos did a one off for Goddard in F3 as well. Mike Bryan did a one off in F3000 in the late 80's, I think.

Various drivers lower down in F/Ford (me!), mainly at the Festival. I think the reason why there were more drivers back in the early 80's was due to the strength of the Rand. I believe that at one point it was stronger than the Pound. Now it's between R10 - R15, depending on what's going on in ZA. There's very little point in ZA companies pumping money into international race series when there will be no return on their investment. Most decent ZA drivers go back and race Modified Saloons or Group N type touring cars.

Stephen Watson was heavily involved in the soccer world cup, I believe that Cowie is in Scandinavia now.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2969214)   #16
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to mention Werner Lupberger who raced in F3 and F3000. I think that he's back in SA working for his dad's AMG concern
Old 11 Oct 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2969370)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan View Post
I think that it would have been Viana. Shaun v.d. Linde did a few touring car races, as did Mike Briggs (runs some petrol garages in PE, I think).

There's very little point in ZA companies pumping money into international race series when there will be no return on their investment. Most decent ZA drivers go back and race Modified Saloons or Group N type touring cars.

Stephen Watson was heavily involved in the soccer world cup, I believe that Cowie is in Scandinavia now.
Yes, definitely Viana- he drove one of Frank Sytner's BMWs in the 1985 TT, with another South African whose name escapes me. There was another South African pairing in a Terry Drury Racing Alfa in the same race, I think they came over as part of the same deal (IIRC there was a sponsor funding all four drivers for the trip).

I certainly remember van der Linde coming over for the Touring Car World Cup at Donington in '94, and Mike Briggs stood in for James Thompson at Vauxhall for the last few rounds of part of the '95 season after Thommo was sidelined by a big shunt in the 1995 BTCC. I saw him race a couple of times that year, and was impressed.

I remember Watson in F3- later moved to sportscars, IIRC driving Hugh Chamberlain's Vipers in British and FIA GT.

Werner Lupberger is one I'd forgotten- I don't remember much about him in single-seaters (F3 & F3000 IIRC), but he was another who crossed over to sportscars- As I remember he was always quick in Klaas Zwart's Ascari LMP in the early 2000s...
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-27-017.jpg
Old 12 Oct 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2969957)   #18
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wow thanks for the offerings Vitesse, these are names that not many people under the age of 40 would have thought of I suspect?

Can you tell us some more about them please?
Although Pat Fairfield was born in Liverpool, he emigrated to South Africa with his parents at the age of 15 in 1922. He returned to Britain in 1933, working for Freddie Dixon and racing Rileys. In 1935 he became the first private owner of an ERA, purchasing an ex-works 1100cc car which he used to win the 1935 Nuffield Trophy handicap and the Dieppe GP - the latter against a strong field of 1500cc cars which included the works ERAs. His 1935 performances gained him a works drive for ERA, although that wasn't exactly a blessing in 1936, as the team had a poor year. 1937 was undoubtedly the year he "came of age" though: he won the South African GP, Coronation Trophy and Nuffield Trophy for ERA and was well-placed in other races. Sadly, he was one of two drivers killed in a seven-car crash early in the Le Mans 24 Hours that year.

Wilson had raced in South Africa before coming to Europe, his first race north of the Equator being in Cork in 1938. Another ERA privateer, who had bought Fairfield's old car, he raced in Europe in both 1938 and 1939, although his results don't really reflect his talent. During WW2 he served in the RAF (not the SAAF as some sources state) and was killed when an early prototype Lancaster crashed on Salisbury Plain in 1942. For reasons I haven't yet discovered, he was buried in Edinburgh, even though he was based at Boscombe Down.

For copyright reasons I can't hotlink the picture of Wilson that I mentioned, but you can find it here:

http://www.klemcoll.com/image/203L-38.aspx?page=

Last edited by Vitesse; 12 Oct 2011 at 15:11.

Bob Marley
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2970335)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thankyou for the further very interesting contribution Vitesse

Without wishing to stray too far off topic, the Lancaster tragedy must be a fairly big piece of RAF history in itself?
Old 13 Oct 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2970556)   #20
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
Although Pat Fairfield was born in Liverpool, he
Wilson had raced in South Africa before coming to Europe, his first race north of the Equator being in Cork in 1938. Another ERA privateer, who had bought Fairfield's old car, he raced in Europe in both 1938 and 1939, although his results don't really reflect his talent. During WW2 he served in the RAF (not the SAAF as some sources state) and was killed when an early prototype Lancaster crashed on Salisbury Plain in 1942. For reasons I haven't yet discovered, he was buried in Edinburgh, even though he was based at Boscombe Down.

For copyright reasons I can't hotlink the picture of Wilson that I mentioned, but you can find it here:

http://www.klemcoll.com/image/203L-38.aspx?page=
Quote:
Thankyou for the further very interesting contribution Vitesse

Without wishing to stray too far off topic, the Lancaster tragedy must be a fairly big piece of RAF history in itself?
At the risk of straying further off topic into aviation history, this seems to be our man:
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=2451987

As Vitesse said, at first sight it's curious that a South African killed in a crash on Salisbury Plain should be buried in Edinburgh, but a quick check for the rest of the crew (I found an account of the incident on an aviation forum) on the CWGC website suggests that none of the others were buried locally to Boscombe Down either, but presumably were returned 'home' to their local areas:

W/Cdr P.S. Salter AFC, commemorated at Southampton Crematorium
S/Ldr J.D. Harris DFC, buried in Cheam
F/Lt (Observer) P.F. Wakelin, buried at Brookwood Military Cemetary
Sgt (Pilot) R.L. Bilton, buried in Newcastle
Aircraftman (1st class) A.N. Tracey, buried in Morden

Lancaster R5539 crashed at Charlton, near Malmesbury on 18 April 1942, while undertaking diving trials with a simulated bombload, from the RAF's Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, at Boscombe Down- cause of crash appears to have been a failure of the tailplane structure

I had a further search around, and there's another reference on a WW2 forum to Wilson's burial in Edinburgh, which says that the gravestone also commemorates his father, who died in 1915, so perhaps a family connection to Edinburgh?

IN
AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE
OF
MY HUSBAND
JAMES ANDERSON WILSON
OF
WILSON & CO LTD
EAST LONDON SOUTH AFRICA
WHO DIED 31ST JULY 1915
AGED 49 YEARS
ALSO IN MEMORY OF
OUR BELOVED SON
NORMAN GLADSWOOD,
FLIGHT LT., R.A.F., V.R.,
KILLED IN ENGLAND
18TH APRIL 1942.
HIS DUTY NOBLY DONE
FATHER IN THY TENDER KEEPING
LEAVE WE NOW OUR DEAR ONE SLEEPING

(from a post on the WW2 Talk forum. The same thread mentions Wilson's racing career, and links to a thread about drivers killed in air crashes on the Autosport Nostalgia forum)

Last edited by KA; 13 Oct 2011 at 15:41.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2970681)   #21
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Wayne Taylor had one DNQ in F3k.

Back in the sixties John Love of course came over from Rhodesia, he had a repeated Rhodesian flag as a band on his helmet. Trevor Blokdyk came over for some F Junior and Bruce Johnstone was being groomed as a possible BRM driver, but never quite made it.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3284230)   #22
BrianWatson
Rookie

England
Newcastle upon Tyne
BrianWatson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M.G. (Mike) de Udy

Short spectacular film of de Udy here:
http://www.brianwatsonphoto.co.uk/Mo...onnier68i.html

Brian
Old 31 Jul 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3284310)   #23
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWatson View Post
Short spectacular film of de Udy here:
http://www.brianwatsonphoto.co.uk/Mo...onnier68i.html

Brian
Man, those big trees right next to the track give me the shivers.

Since we have strayed off topic already, how about Gary Hocking? He was born in Wales, and grew up in Rhodesia. He was killed in a Lotus 24 at Westmead, near Durban in 1962. He was entered for the SA Grand Prix a week later at East London. My dad was telling me about it last weekend.

Prior to his car racing career he was a successful motorcycle racer, winning the 1961 350cc and 500cc world championships for MV Agusta, essentially taking the retired John Surtees' ride. He also competed in the Isle of Man TT with some success.

Ironically he moved from bikes to cars because of safety concerns.