Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2000, 20:58 (Ref:47871)   #1
Katherine
Rookie

Katherine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As 'neutral' requested in his reply to my posting, I am happy to show forumers in here my 'letter to Michael'. I hope people like what they read, and happy reading!

Dear Michael,

My name is Katherine. I am writing to you to express my heartfelt and sincere gratitude for the memories of you that you have unwittingly supplied me with over the last five seasons of Formula One.

I was eighteen years old when I sat in my living room on June 2nd 1996. I had recently become a Formula One fan and was still somewhat lacking in knowledge about the subject. I had yet to realise that F1 races could be held in wet conditions for example. I sat in the living room feeling despondent and waited for Murray Walker to proclaim that the race was off due to the bad weather. However, when no such announcement was forthcoming, I brightened and settled down on the sofa to watch the race with my dad. Little did I know of the soon-to-come events. I little knew of the imminent happenings that were to convulse me with awe and change my life forever. I was unaware of that performance that would comprehensively put an end to my driver impartiality. It was all still to come.

From the Spanish Gp's opening laps, I thought no-one would risk overtaking in the appalling conditions and therefore predicted an easy win for Villeneuve. How wrong I was!From the depths of the plumes of spray thrown up be the cars, I observed the smooth steady progress of your car. As you passed gerhard Berger, Jean Alesi and then challenged Villeneuve for the lead, even an F1 beginner like me knew I was witnessing something special, remarkable, almost on the boundaries of impossibility. Every overtaking manoeuvre, every twitch of your car was a delight to observe as you wrestled for control against nature's onslaught. as you overtook Villeneuve and flew away from him and all the other drivers, I was breathless with amazement. Completely stunned.

When the race finished and you crossed the line, I knew that I had found a rare diamond of a sportsman to support. Five seasons on, my support has not wavered a single moment since I started supporting you. Looking at my favourite picture of you by my computer now, I feel a flood-tide of pride enter my body. I am proud to know you, I am happy for you every time you win. My emotions are more than satisfied knowing you and being with you every step of the way to your third title, whenever that may come.

If you are successful this year, I will be one of the happiest people on this earth. The moment of your triumph will be exquisite and beautiful. I will sing and shout and dance with joy and praise the God that made me. If you do not become champion, that doesn't matter either. As long as you come through each race in one piece that's all that matters to me.

I will never stop believeing you will be champion one day. I will never lose my faith in your outstanding abilities. Reach for the stars at Suzuka Michael, enjoy yourself and the very best of luck for this race and always!

Yours sincerely,
All my love and best wishes,
Katherine.

Old 11 Nov 2000, 04:49 (Ref:47936)   #2
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Katherine, that was breathtaking. Considering the posts of late, it was nice to have something positive on Schumi.

Old 11 Nov 2000, 08:36 (Ref:47943)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i just love all to listen to good things said about Schumacher
Old 11 Nov 2000, 09:01 (Ref:47944)   #4
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops looks like we scared 'em away....sssshhh i hear 'em comin......the antis they're comin too....lol!

Cool letter Katherine...did he read it??
Old 11 Nov 2000, 13:05 (Ref:47960)   #5
Katherine
Rookie

Katherine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael didn't read it, no. I usually make these up for my own amusement. I'm a bit worried about sending stuff like this to him, I don't know if he'll actually read it at all or he'll read it and think I'm strange. Do you think I should?
Old 11 Nov 2000, 13:14 (Ref:47962)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, definitely. I think the letter was beautiful, Katherine. I don't know if Michael reads all the letters he gets, but if he reads yours, I don't think he will think you're strange. I think he will feel flattered. My advice is: Go ahead and send it to him!
Old 11 Nov 2000, 22:48 (Ref:47987)   #7
neutral
Racer

I agree with R. SEND IT!!!

Old 12 Nov 2000, 02:22 (Ref:48007)   #8
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree... send it.

But put a PS on it... next time when he breaks a leg, get back in the d@mn car and help your teammate win the championship and don't sit back enjoying the insurance check. I am a die-hard Ferrari fan, and was so disappointed in him for what I thought was very selfish. He should look back at guys like Lauda for inspiration. I do think very highly of Mike for winning the championship this year. But, at one time I saw him driving with the heart of a Lauda or Senna and saw him being the first driver since Lauda that I had put on a pedestal. I was disappointed in him last year, but I am proud of him this year.

Forza Ferrari
Old 12 Nov 2000, 09:46 (Ref:48025)   #9
neutral
Racer

If he had come back earlier and helped Eddie win the title then his four years at Ferrari would have been rendered pointless. Michael bled for Ferarri, he sacrificed a possible treble to help rebuild a fast sinking team and it is he who provided the impetus for the know successful Ferarri team.

Quote:
and was so disappointed in him for what I thought was very selfish.
Does one forget the five week period before Suzuka 98. During one week, Michael undertook a four day test session during which he worked from 9:00-6:00 on three days and on the last day he tested from 8:30-7:30 and covered 153 laps!! Eddie on the other hand had the week off, and Luca helped out for 2 days at Mugello. My point is that Michael deserved to be the first man to win the title and he has been far from selfish. Michael risked the prime years of career to join Ferrari and asking him to risk his future by prematurely taking the wheel sounds more selfish in my books.

Quote:
But, at one time I saw him driving with the heart of a Lauda or Senna and saw him being the first driver since Lauda that I had put on a pedestal.
If dedicating 5 years of ones life to achieve a goal doesnt show heart, then I don't know what does.

P.S From a Ferrari perspective I can understand your point. Michael isnt getting paid 30 million a year to sit on a chair. Nevertheless, we must remember that Ferarri where not just asking Michael to help win them the title, they were asking him to throw away all the dreams he had worked so hard to realise.