Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 4 Nov 2008, 00:04 (Ref:2327498)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FOM copyright and suchlike.

OK, just had my youtube account deleted.

I have received no explanation, but I assume it is for having F1 footage on my channel.

It doesn't bother me unduly, I broke a site rule and thus should pay the price I guess (the price being the two minutes of my life wasted re-registering with an alternative name). But serious question here. Why do people such as FOM and FIM for the MotoGP get so upset about their series being shown on youtube?

I could understand if people were posting full races, and thus robbing them of subscribers to digital TV services (if they still have them). But mere clips showing great, memorable moments... I'm sorry where is the problem?

Where are they losing out by somebody posting an onboard lap or a great pasing move? Surely they should want people to see this stuff, maybe try and gain new fans?

I know if I was the head of a series I'd be delighted if people showed cool clips of my races. I'd be annoyed if full races and suchlike were put up.

I don't know, I guess I just don't understand it well enough, but it kind of saddens me.

*awaits the usual comparisons to stealing from a shop*
Old 4 Nov 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2327519)   #2
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I completely agree,I don't see why they take off clips of crashes or on boards etc... They're like free ads! If anything,most clips are going to make people more likely to watch it on tv.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 03:07 (Ref:2327546)   #3
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get it either. YouTube ought to be viewed as an opportunity to draw more people into the sport.

Control freaks. All of 'em.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 06:00 (Ref:2327589)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see your point Knowlsey, you wonder what they are losing. I suppose if people can see the race highlights so freely, the viewership of FOM's customers - tv stations - will drop. Out of interest last year I did manage to d/l a whole GP that I had missed!

I suppose it is like most laws - if they do not enforce their copyright, then why bother having it? I don't envy their position...
Old 4 Nov 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2327643)   #5
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its region related, F1 is only on subscriber channels in some countries so they deem it "stealing" because they can't control who watches from where in YT. MotoGP has a web subscription service for a lot of video content, so that one wouldn't surprise me at all. That said, i agree they are cutting their own noses off to spite their face - motorsTV have their own channel on YT and use it to good effect, so not all the TV companies are dumb as FOM/FIM
Old 4 Nov 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2327902)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There's a number of issues here.

Brand Image - F1/MotoGP/etc want to be know for good racing, not reduced to a series of crash clips.

Media Rights - a large amount of F1's income comes from media and broadcast rights, so the last thing they want is people giving it away for free.

I don't buy the "missed opportunity" argument. That might be true for a minor regional series that gets minimal coverage elsewhere but how many people have actually discovered F1 via a grainy You-Tube clip? Equally the reverse is true, how many people will stop watching F1 if they can't see the same grainy You-Tube clip?

If you think this is only an issue for major professional series, think again. At some UK circuits a club racer with his own on-board camera in his own car doesn't have the right to post a video clip on the web.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2327920)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Don't take this the wrong way but which bit of copyright breach do you have difficulty understanding? I'm not saying that I think you are an evil person but you should understand where they are coming from.

Also there is the lost audience issue.

I don't have a television and when I have access to one might watch the highlights of a GP. So I might have an incentive to get a TV/watch the channel which provides the coverage.

If I can see the highlights which interest me on YouTube, bang goes a driver for me to give the TV some money or audience number.

Regards

Jim
Old 4 Nov 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2328325)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am sorry if I have caused offence.

I don't see how any audience is lost by watching an onboard lap from seven years ago that cannot be bought (or probably even viewed) anywhere, but there you go.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 4 Nov 2008 at 23:30.
Old 5 Nov 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2328526)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't you have to be seen to be enforcing your copyright, or risk losing it? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.
Old 5 Nov 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2329007)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Knowlesy point is spot on, the internet thingy grows the sport. just take a look at how other major sports associations handle their copyrighted content and then tell me its impossible for F1 to do it. in many ways F1 is stuck in the 80's (too bad the cars aren’t)

if they got it and didn't want it on youtube, they would just put it on their own website. and they could even charge for it...but ultimately they just dont get it.

they started to put together some highlight clips for this year but still no historic clips, but other than that its horribly out of date and nothing more than a glorified hat shop and mobile service provider.

its totally weak and beyond understanding.
Old 5 Nov 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2329019)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FOM has been protecting it's copyright and the sport is growing. From that perspective you can't fault their approach. A little exclusivity helps I feel.

I think that copyright is a good thing in this case. It helps protect the quality. They do it to stop people making a profit from their property. In addition they do it to stop people making something weak and pathetic from their property.

However if they aren't going to make something available there is a case for it being out there. However crap video on youtube isn't what I had in mind.

I'm not in an extreme camp on this one, but better the current situation than a free-for-all. IMHO.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2333181)   #12
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a very "old media" approach to it, isn't it? FOM don't realise that 2 minute clips on Youtube are hardly going to affect DVD sales and if anything help raise the profile of the sport through encouraging discussion. They're failing to realise that they're helping to limit a potential audience to F1 coverage (despite Bernie ensuring that F1 is on terrestrial telly to maximise the number of viewers in the UK).

If they wanted to be smarter about things they could continue to request that clips are removed, but then re-upload the offending clips on their own Youtube channel and get ad revenue. Give them a few years and they'll realise how backwards they're being about the whole thing.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2333230)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
A 2 minute clip on it's own might not harm DVD sales but what about a 10 minute clip, or 30 minutes, or an hour, or an entire race? Unless FOM are prepared to individually vet every single clip they have no option but to take a blanket approach.

The ad revenue from a Youtube channel would be chicken feed compared to what they are making from conventional TV rights.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2333293)   #14
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i find that clips on youtube are too compressed to be a substite for proper TV footage. Also just steer clear of F1/moto gp if they dont want thier series promoting its up to them...
Old 13 Nov 2008, 03:28 (Ref:2334034)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I've always thought a forward thinking sport would go out of its way to utilise the likes of YouTube.

The potential gains are great, I would say.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2334466)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's the problem with FOM being owned by a self-serving businessman rather than the participants. If FOTA bought out FOM I would genuinely think that the level of common sense would probably double.