Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Mar 2012, 04:47 (Ref:3037367)   #1526
osrg
Racer

osrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridosrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyways..... Back on topic.

Simonsen's outright lap record from Sprint Bathurst late last year:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4QpKaTNtc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
Old 9 Mar 2012, 04:49 (Ref:3037368)   #1527
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Its not really relevant to this thread but you seem to want to discuss V8's Sat in the pub at bathurst in October and discussed the same topic nonly had one meathead want to punch my head in and he wanted to do it at the 12 hour raceGo figure
Don't believe you , never have , never will.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 04:58 (Ref:3037369)   #1528
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by osrg View Post

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4QpKaTNtc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
That is awesome! Anyone know what speed he topped out at on Conrod?

Interesting line into Forests Elbow, might have to try that

And flat through the Chase
Old 9 Mar 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3037372)   #1529
osrg
Racer

osrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridosrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
That is awesome! Anyone know what speed he topped out at on Conrod?

Interesting line into Forests Elbow, might have to try that

And flat through the Chase
I'd say 280 odd and that would be optimistic ..... More aero = less top speed obviously. And yes a very shallow line through Forrest's Elbow... Super deep through the chase!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 05:59 (Ref:3037375)   #1530
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by osrg View Post

fixed the link

the lap
Old 9 Mar 2012, 06:01 (Ref:3037376)   #1531
osrg
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
fixed the link

the lap
Cheers peck, the YouTube thing always bamboozles me!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3037486)   #1532
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Don't believe you , never have , never will.
Enough, guys, please. Every thread doesn't have to turn into a discussion about one of the contributors.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3037499)   #1533
rjg
Rookie

rjg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to Bathurst this year and I thought the whole weekend was great. The actual race was fantastic and like everyone has been saying it would be good to have more cars. What are your thoughts on an invitation class for Bathurst Specials (maybe based loosely on Improved Production). For example limit them to 250-300hp or weight penalty over 300hp, minimum weight, age limit of car (eg cannot be anymore than 1 model older than the current model) and as for the rest they can do what they like. Their seems be be a lot of these types of specials racing in Europe eg VW, Ford Focus, Renault. What rules they run to I don't know.

I no expert so do you think. Also, would they be able to race these cars in different classes at other race meetings

Regards

Richard
Old 9 Mar 2012, 22:40 (Ref:3037735)   #1534
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
rjg I think you have put your finger on the soloution.
Realy it is only a mild loosening of the Series Production rules that is needed.
Slicks allowed. More freedom in wheel and brake upgrades to facilitate quick changes.
Allow manual gearboxes where the model imported has only an automatic or allow changes in the control of the transmissions.
Some freedom in fuel system and tank design and placement retaining tank size to capacity restrictions that apply at present.
As you suggest no older than one superceeded model and some limit related to numbers of the particular car/engine/transmission combination produced to prevent a repeat of the Monaro fiasco.
The other thing that might be usefull is an old Le Mans style index of performance based on wieght/laps covered/fuel consumption. Could make a great marketing tag for an importer or manufacturer to hang their hat on.
And of course they would still have to fit the 130% rule, would be on compatible slicks so if well driven wouldn't be too much of a problem to the GT3 front runners.
Now all we have to do is get the entry fees down and the fuel and tyre contracts sorted.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3037752)   #1535
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
rjg I think you have put your finger on the soloution.
Realy it is only a mild loosening of the Series Production rules that is needed.
Slicks allowed. More freedom in wheel and brake upgrades to facilitate quick changes.
Allow manual gearboxes where the model imported has only an automatic or allow changes in the control of the transmissions.
Some freedom in fuel system and tank design and placement retaining tank size to capacity restrictions that apply at present.
As you suggest no older than one superceeded model and some limit related to numbers of the particular car/engine/transmission combination produced to prevent a repeat of the Monaro fiasco.
The other thing that might be usefull is an old Le Mans style index of performance based on wieght/laps covered/fuel consumption. Could make a great marketing tag for an importer or manufacturer to hang their hat on.
And of course they would still have to fit the 130% rule, would be on compatible slicks so if well driven wouldn't be too much of a problem to the GT3 front runners.
Now all we have to do is get the entry fees down and the fuel and tyre contracts sorted.
Almost sounds like a type of group c touring cars

Ive always been of the belief that the Production series should allow a few more modifications to make the cars that little bit more exciting. But i think this could work as a one off category for the race as well.

Cars that are bullets out of the showroom such as the evo's could be restricted to less modifications maybe based on a system like you suggested, or a target lap time.

Things that would definately help the category are slicks, bigger wheel packages for cars such as the fpv's and hsv's, some more engine and exhaust freedoms to make the cars louder and faster while probably still keeping to stock bodykits.

And make sure all these modifications can be done in a manner that allows an easy transition back to production spec racing if thats where the cars originate from.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 02:33 (Ref:3037782)   #1536
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Yeah, turn one, Queensland Raceway, on the Saturday, last year. It is Ipswich, so I suppose I shouldn't expect any better. Sorry, but it just confirmed my opinion. Then again, I could try attending the Gold Coast 600, where the crowds are supposedly better behaved.

Sorry haven't been to a v8 meeting up in QLD yet (all other states tho), I hear you banana benders are a bit different

Last edited by St00ge; 10 Mar 2012 at 02:46.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 22:36 (Ref:3038537)   #1537
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll admit to being old, grumpy and a bit past it, the race was great but I admit to leaving a little disapointed and unsure of the future.
Having gone through the review and navel gazing process about the B12 there seem to be a lot of suggestions about cars and class structures etc.
In a motor racing forum that is to be expected, but in the end the race is going to survive on effective marketing, or fail due to the lack of it.
The overall marketing of the event has to improve.
The real savior would of course be live to air FTA TV, but to get that there needs to be the development of significant commercial interest alongside improved spectator interest. The overall treatment of the B12 as an EVENT by the organisers needs to be built up with supporting "happenings" and the ceation of an atmosphere that gels with the character of the event. Please don't fall for the Rock concert and VB line but there are slightly up market alternatives that would attract rather than repel the B12 crowd.
Why for instance do all the support series people pack up and leave on Saturday evening. They are motor race competitors, who by their very nature aren't much interested in sticking round to watch someone else doing the same thing. But they could be interested in staying if there were things happening at the circuit.
B12 is an event most people start planning for well in advance. That means information and news has to be streamed over a period before the event rather than saved for the last minute.
It is easy to take shots at the organisers, but I wondered if some of the teams could have got a better return for themselves and their sponsors out of the event.
Two teams did a great job. Audi of course had the dealers and guests thing down pat and it worked well. The two long blondes distributing Audi flags were a memorable part of the weekend.
Kiwi team, Motorsport Services, had a group attending who they provided with hospitality, group photo ops. caps and shirts etc. Don't know if it was a sponsor link or a supporters tour, but it was very professionaly done.
Looking at the potential surely Maranello could have come up with an idea out of Lygon St for promotion of tomatoes. The watching public probably didn't get the Il Bella Rosso connection at all.
And Scudd, if you are sticking with JBS, how about some butchers aprons and nice thick steaks on a barbie out the back. Or maybe the Brazillian connection offers opportunities.
Anyone else got any bright ideas?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3038540)   #1538
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tried selling chemicals out the back of the pits once........
Old 11 Mar 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3038560)   #1539
James69181
Rookie

James69181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK guy's enough pot shots !
Lets talk facts and the facts are (ask Mal Rose ).
B12 hr entry $11000 (International's are subsidised)
Sepand 12hr $2500 U.S.
B12 hr fuel $2.90 litre
Sepang 12 hr fuel 100 litres for practice no charge 800 litres for racing no charge.
Shipping to Malaysia and back around $10000.
Everyone on slicks.
Everything else in Malaysia (food, 5 star hotels, rental cars etc.) about 1/3rd the price at Bathurst.
GT cars and prod tourers and prod sports race very happily together there.
BTW they also have a 1000K race for under 1900cc production cars because they had 120 cars trying to get onto a 77 car grid at the 12 hr a couple of years back..
I believe the facilities and the organizers attitude to competitors is first class.
Is it just me or is one country doing all it can to promote motor racing and the other is allowing "catergory Managers" to make aliving from the wallets of the Aussie competitor.

I am saving for a holiday in Malaysia to watch their 12 hr evnt and have a holiday.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3038561)   #1540
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
Tried selling chemicals out the back of the pits once........
Didn't a certain Lotus pilot get into a little trouble for doing that?
Old 12 Mar 2012, 03:27 (Ref:3038611)   #1541
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James69181 View Post
!

Is it just me or is one country doing all it can to promote motor racing and the other is allowing "catergory Managers" to make aliving from the wallets of the Aussie competitor.

This is the crux of so many issues.CAMS greed and ineptness of so much CAMS management is the key point that has created this situation.

I do not point the specific finger at any particular individual here--but we are over regulated and over governed in Australia-- to quote an English writer on discussing Australia in general-- "Such great freedom-- but so many silly rules" !!
He was not talking about any sports--but it has hit the nail on the head !!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3049357)   #1542
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After watching the 3 hour coverage on Saturday - its time to get rid of the term 'the lane' when referring to pit lane.

Whats wrong with calling it pit lane?

Crompton is bad enough by himself but now commentators are taking it upon themselves to mimic him

Whats next - pit land?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3049413)   #1543
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James69181 View Post
OK guy's enough pot shots !
Lets talk facts and the facts are (ask Mal Rose ).
B12 hr entry $11000 (International's are subsidised)
Sepand 12hr $2500 U.S.
B12 hr fuel $2.90 litre
Sepang 12 hr fuel 100 litres for practice no charge 800 litres for racing no charge.
Shipping to Malaysia and back around $10000.
Everyone on slicks.
Everything else in Malaysia (food, 5 star hotels, rental cars etc.) about 1/3rd the price at Bathurst.
GT cars and prod tourers and prod sports race very happily together there.
BTW they also have a 1000K race for under 1900cc production cars because they had 120 cars trying to get onto a 77 car grid at the 12 hr a couple of years back..
I believe the facilities and the organizers attitude to competitors is first class.

I am saving for a holiday in Malaysia to watch their 12 hr evnt and have a holiday.
It's fairly pointless comparing Malaysia with Australia, the costs of living over there are way lower than here.
But there's no doubt that racing here in OZ can be way more expensive than OS.
A full season of Formula Renault 1.6 in France (equivalent to our Formula Ford but with wings and slicks) can cost around $80'000 AUS.
That includes heaps of testing plus for young drivers, media and racecraft training from seasoned veterans.
US F2000 costs less than National Formula Ford and even a top level State Formula Ford team drive can set you back the best part of $200'000 I'm told.
If I had a talented youngster looking to make a career in motorsport the first thing I'd do is get them out of OZ ASAP.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3049661)   #1544
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely having a race at a permanent facility like Sepang would be way cheaper than getting a place like Bathurst up and running?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3049690)   #1545
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
After watching the 3 hour coverage on Saturday - its time to get rid of the term 'the lane' when referring to pit lane.

Whats wrong with calling it pit lane?

Crompton is bad enough by himself but now commentators are taking it upon themselves to mimic him

Whats next - pit land?
everything must be right in the world if that's all there is to whinge about...
Old 30 Mar 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3050747)   #1546
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Looks like Mr Luff is off to the Nurburgring 24 hour... alongside Alex Yoong...

Mr Simonsen got a gig too... but no sign of Mr Lowndes
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Mar 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3050758)   #1547
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Simonsen got a gig with WRT? Fantastic. Great to see him picking up a ride at the 24hr after Farnbacher stopped racing in GT2 at the end of last year-blame DTM for taking all the Hankook money.

Happy to see Luff get a seat too, well deserved, hope he does well.

As for Lowndes-who knows?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 02:22 (Ref:3051514)   #1548
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes said during the 12hr that the Nurburgring 24hr clashed with a V8 round
Old 1 Apr 2012, 02:38 (Ref:3051518)   #1549
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Yeah the date clash is with the Phillip Island round. Sure that Craig'll get there one day but not this year.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3051643)   #1550
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Ah well that explains it very well. Hopefully he gets to race there one day-that and Le Mans, I think he'd do well in either, although Im sure it'd be easier to get a good seat with Audi at the Ring due to their experience with him.