Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2015, 09:21 (Ref:3514740)   #1
taize
Rookie

taize should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New www.formula1.com

I noticed that www.formula1.com has changed overnight. In my opinion its terrible. Trying to navigate the site is awful. The time to the next live timing session used to be on the home page - now I can't find it at all. In general its much more difficult to find anything on the new site.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 09:26 (Ref:3514741)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 2015 app is different too, a few bugs still as it doesnt offer full functionality just yet... very strange..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Mar 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3514748)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are similar comments on the Australian GP thread.

This site is garbage. Whoever designed the site and those responsible for giving the OK should lose their jobs.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 10:01 (Ref:3514755)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just had a quick glance at the new site, and certainly whilst it's free, it's not too bad. And don't forget, as a pop-up tells you, the site is still in Beta format.

Live timing seems to be fairly easy to find; at the top of the page, click on F1 Live and this would apparently take you to the page where the timing options are available - I say apparently as there was no live timing taking place when I looked.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3514757)   #5
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and the new price for premium functions is much to high.

28 euro or 20 pounds.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 10:26 (Ref:3514758)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post

28 euro or 20 pounds.
Oh the horror of having to pay £1 per race. Get real.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3514760)   #7
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Just had a quick glance at the new site, and certainly whilst it's free, it's not too bad. And don't forget, as a pop-up tells you, the site is still in Beta format.

Live timing seems to be fairly easy to find; at the top of the page, click on F1 Live and this would apparently take you to the page where the timing options are available - I say apparently as there was no live timing taking place when I looked.
I'm not getting any pop-ups. So no beta for me.

It is horrible. Much worse than what the old site was. On the old site you could actually see everything important with one glance. Now you have scroll up and down to find any information. I feel like I'm using a mobile version of the site. The results pages are bad. They don't even bother to calculate the gaps. Never mind older results. Live timing isn't that good either. I continues with the mobile theme that wastes so much screen area that I couldn't view all the drivers times at once.

I could understand all this when using my phone but on desktop this just feel very very clumsy.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 11:01 (Ref:3514767)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

28 euro or 20 pounds.
fwiw, the wec app last year was £20 too. i think it's fair over the course of a year, especially when you match it up to the cost of actually watching the bloody thing on telly.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 11:02 (Ref:3514768)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
fwiw, the wec app last year was £20 too. i think it's fair over the course of a year, especially when you match it up to the cost of actually watching the bloody thing on telly.
Watching WEC on TV is free, you alrady have to pay a lot to watch F1 on TV.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3514771)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Watching WEC on TV is free, you alrady have to pay a lot to watch F1 on TV.
not really the point i was trying to make but it's fair one i guess.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 14:13 (Ref:3514812)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
actually think the update puts it more in line with the with the home page offerings by Merc, Mclaren, and Ferrari and certainly in keeping with modern web design aimed at touch screen and mobile devices.

what used to be free still seems to be free and if you do subscribe for the premium content it seems like that will also give you access to the same features the official iOS and Android (pay) app offered last year (live transponder data for example).

but most importantly it looks like BE has discovered a way to make money of the internet.

also think its a fair price although i still would like to see a premium subscription include access to old races/footage.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 14:52 (Ref:3514830)   #12
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
...and certainly in keeping with modern web design aimed at touch screen and mobile devices.
After looking at it, I suspect they are trying responsive design that is intended to work on both desktop and mobile.

I visited the old site so infrequently that I can't remember what it looked like. The new one seems fine. It is new, they probably will make tweaks based upon feedback.

Richard
Old 13 Mar 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3514846)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The website is sufficient for my purposes. Is it a sufficient standard for the market? Those in the know can tease that out.

A quid a race isn't remarkable. But as a general principle, I do wish some of these series would do more to monetise things via advertising rather than asking the punter for a charge, for their own self interest really.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3514854)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The website is sufficient for my purposes. Is it a sufficient standard for the market? Those in the know can tease that out.

A quid a race isn't remarkable. But as a general principle, I do wish some of these series would do more to monetise things via advertising rather than asking the punter for a charge, for their own self interest really.
I sort of understand your sentiments about charging for access, however, I am finding that the faster that my broadband gets (now up to 152 wotsist per nano second or sumfink) the longer that it takes for so many websites to load, purely down to the advertising and nothing to do with the subject content. Newspaper websites are amongst the worst, and it is so bl**dy frustrating when you have to wait for some pages to renew themselves when you have requested a change.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3514868)   #15
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not massively fussed about the formula1.com site, when the free live timing was simplified last season I stopped using it (scrolling times at the bottom of the screen was sufficient during the races). The only other thing I used it for was sector times/laptimes/straight line speed comparisons from all sessions throughout the race weekends; this was one of the few worthwhile features on the site. I don't seem to be able to find these any more. Have they gone for good or are they, like everything else on the new site, simply impossible to locate?
Old 13 Mar 2015, 16:57 (Ref:3514869)   #16
rob28
Rookie

Canada
Dryden, ON (another UK deserter)
rob28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've paid my money so I can get sector times on my laptop again, something I really missed last year.
But.... I can't figure out how to log in on my Android phone. There are plenty of options to purchase (already done that on the PC), so I don't want to to that again.

An email from the F1 billing people just says enjoy it while it's free and it will all be sorted by the end of that free period. Lets see how it works for qualifying tonight before I get too annoyed.
Old 14 Mar 2015, 02:00 (Ref:3514975)   #17
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes the new design is hideous, but they're only doing the sheep thing and following modern design trends, which is making everything ridiculously oversized because everyone loves to scroll. Nascar did the same with their website and it became garbage, but they've slowly rolled it back to how it used to be, at least on my screen I no longer have to have my entire 24" screen filled with an irrevelant image from the latest news story anymore. Indycar was the same I think, for a while.

The f1 design team is yet to learn the lesson that modern trends suck and are terrible to navigate. People don't like scrolling. On the new F1 site if I scroll down 1 page, my entire screen is filled with nothing but black.

Another page down, and all I get is 6 news stories with most of the real estate filled with generic F1 photos that probably don't even relate to the story/were from last year.

Another page down and it's the schedule, none of which is relevant to me except the countdown, which is now removed.

Next page down, an entire screen with the points standings. I don't need to see pictures of each car next to each driver!

Get to the bottom and there's about 3 inches of height wasted on nothing but empty space.

The funny thing is as a responsive design, a lot of it fails to work. The news stories don't roll under each other, the schedule isn't responsive.

It doesn't really have a brand/theme anymore, apart from this thing as the background, whatever that is http://www.formula1.com/etc/designs/...Background.png

I wonder how much they paid for this, six figures?
Old 14 Mar 2015, 05:16 (Ref:3514998)   #18
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree that it's rubbish. Scrolling all over the shop... what sort of muppet doesn't think that fitting all of the live timing information on one screen at 1920 x 1080 might be good idea?
Old 14 Mar 2015, 12:47 (Ref:3515081)   #19
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

It was £7.50 last year, 25 before that
Old 14 Mar 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3515169)   #20
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's horrible
crap free live timing
same **** with motogp.com

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Mar 2015, 07:25 (Ref:3515330)   #21
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A step backwards, and more features behind a pay wall. The old site was easier to read and user friendly compared to this.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 08:09 (Ref:3515350)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I signed up for the free trial subscription before this weekend, and will likely be cancelling it immediately after.

First, find it difficult to see if I am logged on or not- there is no 'welcome Subsciber' or button to sign out again (that I can find).

And then not sure what am getting above the free site? If it's the 'performance' and 'tyre' buttons, then can live without. And I thought 'commentary' would actually be someone talking!

I can just about keep in touch with proceedings as well by following the posts on Tenths race thread......