Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 13 Mar 2003, 13:10 (Ref:535002)   #1
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Books - Your Recommendations

I've just seen on another web site, they are selling two sportscar racing books I've have never seen.

They are:-

Lightning speed The Nissan GTP + Group C Racecars

Sauber Mercedes World champions 1985 - 1991

The author of the books is Starkey, are they new or re-issues?
Does anyone have them or have seen them and are they any good :confused:

Let me know please.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 13:24 (Ref:535020)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, they're both new titles to me, egor.

Come to think of it, they're not Thomas the Tank Engine titles by any chance, are they?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Mar 2003 at 13:25.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 13:40 (Ref:535044)   #3
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which website is it?

Thanks
Old 13 Mar 2003, 14:48 (Ref:535097)   #4
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
The books are on www.grandprixmodels.co.uk in their latest releases section. Unfortunately they do not have a write up on the books, but they do have the ISBN codes for the books, so you can try and find them else where.

They also have FIA GT 2002 book and Porsche Sport 2002 (review of racing Porsche's from all race series), to name but a few.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 15:37 (Ref:535120)   #5
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you!
Old 13 Mar 2003, 15:46 (Ref:535130)   #6
dscwall
Rookie

dscwall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would treat them with caution, the Sauber book is so full of incorrectly captioned photos that you question the contents of the text, and the quality of the pictures in the Nissan book is not that great, I sggest you look carefully at them before you buy.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 02:13 (Ref:535630)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marginally off topic, but I have a question.

kdr, what did you do to get special thanks from Brian Laban?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Mar 2003, 07:32 (Ref:535728)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now Brian Laban book is an exercellent read.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 08:27 (Ref:535769)   #9
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Quote:
Now Brian Laban book is an exercellent read.
A book stall at Le Mans was selling it half price last year, it was a good buy.

I know it's been said before, the Steve McQueen A French Kiss With Death book is worth a read. A bit pricey at about £40 and it does go on a bit about things other than racing, but it is a very good read and some good stills from the film and during the making of the film.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 08:33 (Ref:535771)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by egor

I know it's been said before, the Steve McQueen A French Kiss With Death book is worth a read. A bit pricey at about £40 and it does go on a bit about things other than racing, but it is a very good read and some good stills from the film and during the making of the film.
It is excellent. It should be on the reading list of any serious Le Mans fan. I'm about to start reading it all over again.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 09:07 (Ref:535793)   #11
dscwall
Rookie

dscwall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chaters have the Laban book at approx half price at the moment, one book I can suggest as a really good read is Scuderia Filipinetti by Ed Heuvink, yes its expensive and has no colour pictures but its well worth it! two books that I would like updated and re-published are the John Allen and M Cotton books on the Porsche 956/962.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 03:52 (Ref:536630)   #12
bugeye
Rookie

bugeye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just took a look at Chapters Canadian website (www.chapters.ca) and they have "A French Kiss with Death" at 66.46 Canadian dollars. That's about 28.43 British Pounds. Even with added postage cost it looks like a great price.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 09:43 (Ref:536775)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, that's pretty good. I paid £35 for my copy.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 16:08 (Ref:537052)   #14
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Marginally off topic, but I have a question.

kdr, what did you do to get special thanks from Brian Laban?

i did some of the picture research for it as part of my job here at allsport(now getty images). as well as motorsport pic. editor/researcher i also get sent out to shoot...mainly football, but my main love is le mans.

the sleeping marshall at the esses in the inside front page, the crowds sheltering in 2001 above the picture acknowledgements, and the porsche gt1 on page 237 are mine.

good book and i'm proud to have my pictures in it alongside some other far more illustrious names.

btw..i actually only have one "r" in my forename...still you can't have everything!
Old 15 Mar 2003, 18:57 (Ref:537218)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Anyone who doesn;t have it may be interested to see that Mill House Books are currently offering the Laban book for a highly desirable £14.99.

In addition, they also have the 1999 and 2000 Le Mans Yearbooks up for grabs at only £17.99 each. Sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.millhousebooks.com
Old 16 Mar 2003, 01:24 (Ref:537742)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, then, kdr, I'll have to bring it in 2004 to get you to sign it!

Ayse, thanks for the heads-up. However, Scott Maxwell has them at his store for I think $50 Cdn, which is 21.16 pounds and Mill house has a minimum 5 pound shipping cost. I'll just drive down the road, I think.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Mar 2003, 01:51 (Ref:537748)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
p-c...that would knock some of the value off it!

not coming in 2003?
Old 24 Mar 2003, 15:33 (Ref:546478)   #18
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
10 Tenths Book Group

Do you read motorsport related books? Here is where to tell us!

Either fiction or non-fiction, info books or biographies.

I have just read 'Life at the limit' and its sequel, 'Beyond the limit' by Dr. Sid Watkins. Both were excellent and had funny anecdotes about past and present F1 celebs.

A good read.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 16:48 (Ref:546560)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Best reads for me (in relatively recent years):-

"A French Kiss with Death"
"Colin Chapman" (Jabby Crombac)
"The Certain Sound" (story of John Wyer's racing teams)

I've read "Life at the Limit" but haven't got round to picking up a copy of "Beyond the Limit" yet.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 17:06 (Ref:546577)   #20
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My hardback cost me £19.99 from WHSmiths!
Old 24 Mar 2003, 17:24 (Ref:546586)   #21
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Currently reading "Beyond the Limit", just finished "Life at the Limit" Good reads.
"A French kiss with Death" is a very good read. Watch the Lemans movie then read it and then watch the movie again.
Whole new ballgame.
Favorite read, Gilles Villeneuve bio by Gerald Donaldson.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Mar 2003, 19:52 (Ref:546759)   #22
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can I recommend Christopher Hilton's 'Inside the Mind of a Grand Prix Driver'?
Old 25 Mar 2003, 02:36 (Ref:547019)   #23
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just reading "To Hell and Back" an autobiography of Niki Lauda.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 06:38 (Ref:547118)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've recently read 'Challenge Australia' and 'An old dog for a hard road', both great reads about the 1979 Repco Round Australia Reliability Trial. A great tribute to one of the toughest motorsport events ever staged.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 09:36 (Ref:548463)   #25
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive read Beyond the Limit by the Prof, but I wasn't very impressed to be honest. It cost me £2.99 for my hardback.