Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Jul 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3433789)   #1
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 4 and Monoposto in the 1970s

In pursuit of complete histories for a few cars, I'm trying to track down either a few racers from F4 and Monoposto back in the mid to late 70s, or people who might know what happened to their cars.

The first conundrum concerns one or perhaps two Ensigns in F4.
The ex Stan Mathews car was run in 1974 by Nick Crossley, then 1975, Bruce Coate-Bond, 1976 Bill Cowling, 1978 Patrick Capon and 1979 Bob Laughton. Then nothing.

However, from 1980 Tony Bransom appears with an Ensign in F4 which he uses for three seasons, before selling it to John Page, who broke it for parts to keep his hillclimb Ensign going.

So, does anyone know what happened to Bob Laughton or Tony Bransom, or know for sure that Bransom bought Laughton's car?

The second conundrum concerns a Monoposto car.
In 1978 Ray Thomas of Newton Abbott appears in what he calls a Revoray, and which from the photos is pretty much an Ensign.
This goes to Terry Mills in 1980, David Cox in 1982, then Mark Jeffrey in late 1984

Does anyone know what happened next?
Does anyone know what happened to Ray Thomas or Mark Jeffrey?

All help massively appreciated. I just had a really useful chat with Ken Crook about his Ensign in F4, which solved a whole history for the current owner, so I'm hoping that other members of the community can come up with what they know

Thanks
Chris
Old 14 Jul 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3433944)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced in F4 in the 70s and remember some of the people mentioned although unfortunately I can't shed much light on the provenance of the cars. Pat Capon was involved in historic racing a few years ago so may be contactable. There was a guy called Jim Seager who raced an Ensign in F4 as well in 78/79 era. I'm not sure if that would fill in any gaps. My understanding was that Ken Crook's car was built from new parts but you've probably had the full story from Ken himself. Hugh Price, who is the Championship Chairman for Classic F3 used to race in F4 in that era and I think he had an Ensign. Bob Laughton was one of the more senior drivers in F4, or so it seemed to me as a callow 23 year old so he'd be getting on a bit now. Another useful contact might be Dave Pullen, Championship Chairman for HSCC Classic Racing Cars, he worked for Low Cost Racing in the Seventies so might know some detail. He doesn't do computers but should be contactable via Tenther Chris Sharples.

As for the Revoray, I thought it was a special that used Ensign bodywork, but I may be wrong.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3433952)   #3
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I raced in F4 in the 70s and remember some of the people mentioned although unfortunately I can't shed much light on the provenance of the cars. Pat Capon was involved in historic racing a few years ago so may be contactable. There was a guy called Jim Seager who raced an Ensign in F4 as well in 78/79 era. I'm not sure if that would fill in any gaps. My understanding was that Ken Crook's car was built from new parts but you've probably had the full story from Ken himself. Hugh Price, who is the Championship Chairman for Classic F3 used to race in F4 in that era and I think he had an Ensign. Bob Laughton was one of the more senior drivers in F4, or so it seemed to me as a callow 23 year old so he'd be getting on a bit now. Another useful contact might be Dave Pullen, Championship Chairman for HSCC Classic Racing Cars, he worked for Low Cost Racing in the Seventies so might know some detail. He doesn't do computers but should be contactable via Tenther Chris Sharples.

As for the Revoray, I thought it was a special that used Ensign bodywork, but I may be wrong.
Thanks Alan, turns out that Ken's car was built up on a new frame at Ensign in 1974 for Trevor Scarratt to run as an Atlantic, but he ran out of money and never raced it. However, it had started life as an F3 car in 1972. Thanks for the suggestion of Dave Pullen, I'll get in touch with Chris
Old 15 Jul 2014, 05:27 (Ref:3434015)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be worth asking on the Monopostos clubs own forum / website. There are still some long serving members who may know.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3434102)   #5
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
May be worth asking on the Monopostos clubs own forum / website. There are still some long serving members who may know.
Suzy Livingstone would have been in charge when the Revoray was competing. I think she's still an Honorary something or other in the club.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3434126)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I think she may be an honorary Vice President. David Cox is still involved with the club and Jim Blockley, although not sure the latter was competing in Mono in those days.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 17:39 (Ref:3698839)   #7
RayThomasRevoray
Rookie

RayThomasRevoray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chris

I'm Ray's son, Christian.

I can put you in touch if you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
In pursuit of complete histories for a few cars, I'm trying to track down either a few racers from F4 and Monoposto back in the mid to late 70s, or people who might know what happened to their cars.

The first conundrum concerns one or perhaps two Ensigns in F4.
The ex Stan Mathews car was run in 1974 by Nick Crossley, then 1975, Bruce Coate-Bond, 1976 Bill Cowling, 1978 Patrick Capon and 1979 Bob Laughton. Then nothing.

However, from 1980 Tony Bransom appears with an Ensign in F4 which he uses for three seasons, before selling it to John Page, who broke it for parts to keep his hillclimb Ensign going.

So, does anyone know what happened to Bob Laughton or Tony Bransom, or know for sure that Bransom bought Laughton's car?

The second conundrum concerns a Monoposto car.
In 1978 Ray Thomas of Newton Abbott appears in what he calls a Revoray, and which from the photos is pretty much an Ensign.
This goes to Terry Mills in 1980, David Cox in 1982, then Mark Jeffrey in late 1984

Does anyone know what happened next?
Does anyone know what happened to Ray Thomas or Mark Jeffrey?

All help massively appreciated. I just had a really useful chat with Ken Crook about his Ensign in F4, which solved a whole history for the current owner, so I'm hoping that other members of the community can come up with what they know

Thanks
Chris
Old 4 Apr 2017, 02:59 (Ref:3723623)   #8
Gordy
Rookie

Gordy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rev 0 ray

I have the Rev o Ray formula car here in the States and have been trying to get history on it. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Here's the car as it appears now, not much different than period photos I have found.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1974.JPG  
Old 10 Apr 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3725271)   #9
FoxyRacer
Rookie

England
East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
FoxyRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Revoray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I have the Rev o Ray formula car here in the States and have been trying to get history on it. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Here's the car as it appears now, not much different than period photos I have found.
Hi Gordy, I am currently helping to write a book on Monoposto formula one-off specials. I have been in touch with Ray Thomas who built three cars that he called Revoray in the 1970s and it looks as though this is the second one. I am lacking a period photo at the moment and Ray has promised to try and find one but is house moving at the moment so it's not a good time. Do you have something I could possibly use? Ray originally built the car to use in hill-climbs and sprints but then wanted to try his hand at circuit racing so joined the Monoposto Racing Club. I have reports of most of the races he contested with this car and summaries will all be in the book that we hope to publish later this year.
Many thanks. John Fox