Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2939602)   #101
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I somehow doubt that Alonso has actually 'asked' the teams he drives for to put second rate drivers in the car.

But I do not think he is beyond some of the tactics emplotyed by Schuamcher in past. He certainly was very threatened by Hamilton at McLaren. And moved on sharpish, his main glitch so far in a career.

As for Senna, I have no doubt that he is certainly one of the quickest men to drive a F1 car. But sheer speed alone does not earn you world championships. Nous, mechanical sympathy, mental strength, emotional solidarity, physical ability, all these help too and more. And every world champion had some or more than Senna and some less.

he did amazing things in some cars, but Prost often matched him in the same car, as did Berger later on, not enough to beat him but often better over a lap and on very different strategies.

Prost had the mental beating of him and this pushed him to despair, hence his compassion and desire for Alain to be there again around Imola, (who can forget the story of him just sitting with Alain in a press conference and the patching up they both made weeks before). Alain could win without him there, but Ayrton needed Prost there, it seems.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2939603)   #102
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
needing a teammate to do your dirty work for you a la alonso.
Is it only me getting fed up of this?
Massa moved over last year because only Alonso had a realistic chance of the WDC. If it hadn't been for strategy, Ferrari would have been vindicated by their decision.
What Ferrari did was not the ridiculous crime that Ferrari/ Alonso haters were suggesting at the time, every team used team orders. Mclaren, Red Bull, Brawn, all of them since they were banned in 2002. Orders that have been used since day dot.
Mclaren used them in the 1st race in 1998, because Hakkinen was truly useless. Yet nothing was done then...

Alonso has fought past Massa a few times this season due to poorer starts but a few times last season and this, Alonso has been delayed by Massa and Massa has defended ridiculously hard because of his position in the team. Massa has defended to the point that other teams have passed the Ferrari duo.

Rant over, I just get annoyed that Alonso Ferrari gets mentioned at the slightest possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Prost had the mental beating of him
Hence Prost leaving his "home".
At Monza in 1989 he insinuated and got Balestre to enforce an apology from Mclaren and Honda to provide equal equipment for the rest of the season. A humiliating public announcement which both Honda and Ron Dennis took enormous personal offence at.
Prost gifting his trophy to the fans after his race, something against his contract and made Ron Dennis livid.
Prost also having a veto in place for his 1993 season at Williams that wouldn't allow Senna to join the team.
In case anyone doesn't know, he left Williams after they signed Senna for 1994, not because he wanted to retire.
So if thats mentally beating someone, I need to read up again on my psychology books...

Last edited by herowassenna; 14 Aug 2011 at 19:12.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2939607)   #103
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Is it only me getting fed up of this?
Rant over, I just get annoyed that Alonso Ferrari gets mentioned at the slightest possibility.
probably yes it is

it's because it's the tip of the alonso "muppet" iceberg. it's the easiest way to sum up the kind of stuff that characterises his f1 career, which is a shame because he won the title quite nicely without it and that gets forgotten when he's a bit of a clown when he's not winning and/or alpha male.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2939638)   #104
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, Prost ousting Senna as a team-mate at Williams!

I don't call that anything other than very clever! If you have already been in the situation and lived with how it turned out, why on earth what would you want to go through it again. And Frank knoew what he was signing, and he also probably knew that Alain was only going to drive for a year before retiring! then Senna was his.

I suppose Senna vetoing Derek Warwick from a Lotus drive didn't enter your mind mind!
Old 14 Aug 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2939666)   #105
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
This thread has now become silly and I shall take my leave. Spa can't come soon enough.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2939682)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
This thread has now become silly and I shall take my leave. Spa can't come soon enough.
Agreed.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2939695)   #107
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Frankly (and I have tried to stay out of this) Senna ranks right down there with Schumacher for wasted sporting talent. If he had half the character of Fangio or Moss he would have been special. His talent was unquestionable, but his sportsmanship was in the gutter.
Yes indeed that is a fact and the reason I was never a Senna fan. It is also the primary reason why I am no fan of Mr Hamilton because his sportsmanship is roughly the same.
Sportsmanship and regard for your fellow competitors (especially in a dangerous sport) is a box that must be ticked.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2939705)   #108
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to the movie for a second... was it only me who thought Mr Whitaker's announcement of the outcome of Mr Ratzenberger's accident at Imola was more than a bit detached and tepid?

Having listened to him speak as CEO of V8Supercar, its not the impression I get...

Might have to go watch it again to make sure
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2939893)   #109
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I suppose Senna vetoing Derek Warwick from a Lotus drive didn't enter your mind mind!
Funnily enough, I mentioned this on the Villeneuve thread.
As you no doubt know, Senna vetoing Warwick was for very different reasons to Prost.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2939901)   #110
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite enjoyed the movie but any documentary that shows footage purporting to be something else (in this case the on-board footage supposedly from Monaco 1988) does not sit well with me.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2940015)   #111
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Quite enjoyed the movie but any documentary that shows footage purporting to be something else (in this case the on-board footage supposedly from Monaco 1988) does not sit well with me.
Good point, also some of the sound editing was very poor too, gear changes in completely the wrong places.
Am I right in thinking there was no on board footage from the 88 qualifying session?
Old 15 Aug 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2941521)   #112
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Old 15 Aug 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2941527)   #113
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do wonder if the original subject matter of the thread having clearly now been exhausted if it continues to serve a purpose? The board is littered with threads on the issues that are now being discussed.

The Senna movie thread is here....

Senna Movie
Old 15 Aug 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2941556)   #114
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
THREAD CLOSED