Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 Mar 2017, 00:10 (Ref:3720316)   #76
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Glad you enjoyed. I still remember my first time there 42 years ago....

jimclark
Old 21 Mar 2017, 00:46 (Ref:3720324)   #77
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
I guess being young helps me, I was able to lap the circuit a few times from Wednesday to Saturday. No idea how many steps I did in total but I certainly felt it after each day. Sunday was tough for me until the evening rolled around, I'm not great in the heat so it was a long day until then!

I quite enjoyed watching at the hairpin- such a simple corner but great to watch the cars hard on the brakes then powerslide on exit. Good in the races too, not a lot of passing but when it does happen it quite often ends up with some wheel-banging.

Had a lap round the track shortly before the 12 hours, got to say it's a testament to virtual race simulators (thinking of iRacing.com) at how accurate they model the tracks- every bump I felt in person were exactly where I expected them to be thanks to the simulator.
Good for you! Getting around the track and "getting around the track". The overnight drive just saps the energy out of me every time. Think Wednesday day trip is in order next time. Just hard to take a day off to "travel" these days.

And the heat? Sorry, I know you're British. That was the coolest Sebrings I've ever been to and Thursday night perhaps the coldest I've ever camped in at a race. The sun is draining and it drained me. Struggling today.

Quote:
As for the spectator experience- wow, for a major event that's the best I've ever experienced. No traffic, parking was easy as anything (and you're not miles from the car), even on race day it surprised me how easy it all was. Some great viewing points around the circuit and little in the way of catchfencing to disrupt the view. I got some great footage.
It's a neat and unique place. We kept commenting on how "sparse" the crowd was in comparison to past trips, but there are certainly some neat vantage points, with one of my favorites being the hairpin. If you can get the spot on the "point of the bump", you can see them braking right after the bridge. Most of the "action" happens there too.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3720457)   #78
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Glad you enjoyed. I still remember my first time there 42 years ago....
Who knows, maybe I'll still be going when I'm 62
Old 21 Mar 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3720462)   #79
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Good for you! Getting around the track and "getting around the track". The overnight drive just saps the energy out of me every time. Think Wednesday day trip is in order next time. Just hard to take a day off to "travel" these days.

And the heat? Sorry, I know you're British. That was the coolest Sebrings I've ever been to and Thursday night perhaps the coldest I've ever camped in at a race. The sun is draining and it drained me. Struggling today.

It's a neat and unique place. We kept commenting on how "sparse" the crowd was in comparison to past trips, but there are certainly some neat vantage points, with one of my favorites being the hairpin. If you can get the spot on the "point of the bump", you can see them braking right after the bridge. Most of the "action" happens there too.
Yes, I'm pretty fortunate that I didn't have much driving at all. Okay, had a near 10 hour flight, but going in that direction is always easy compared to coming back home so I was full of energy for getting up at 6am on Wednesday!

Yes, I can fully understand how ridiculous it sounds! I'm mainly just talking about Friday and Saturday during the day. The mornings, evenings and nights were indeed very cool. Well, Saturday evening was warm, quite a nice temp, but the others weren't! It was actually very windy on Wednesday, and the breeze was quite chilly, which I wasn't expecting. Felt like I was at Snetterton, not Sebring!

Yes, I think I know the bump you mean, I spent quite a lot of the week at the hairpin. The crowd size was ideal for me, I like the spectator areas empty, Wednesday and Thursday were bliss!

Petit may be next up in October...!
Old 22 Mar 2017, 02:17 (Ref:3720517)   #80
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, I'm pretty fortunate that I didn't have much driving at all. Okay, had a near 10 hour flight, but going in that direction is always easy compared to coming back home so I was full of energy for getting up at 6am on Wednesday!

Yes, I can fully understand how ridiculous it sounds! I'm mainly just talking about Friday and Saturday during the day. The mornings, evenings and nights were indeed very cool. Well, Saturday evening was warm, quite a nice temp, but the others weren't! It was actually very windy on Wednesday, and the breeze was quite chilly, which I wasn't expecting. Felt like I was at Snetterton, not Sebring!

Yes, I think I know the bump you mean, I spent quite a lot of the week at the hairpin. The crowd size was ideal for me, I like the spectator areas empty, Wednesday and Thursday were bliss!

Come on over. Road Atlanta is a very nice place to watch these cars. Better than Sebring, imho.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3720648)   #81
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Come on over. Road Atlanta is a very nice place to watch these cars. Better than Sebring, imho.
Also more demanding for 'walking-the-track' because of the elevation (it's more like hiking at times!).

Back from a great trip, did all 4 days at the corner (turn 17) so missed most of the atmosphere and (reduced) spectator crowd. But got to sit in the P40 Warhawk (on display just outside the paddock area)!

And yes, it was cold! Especially Wed and Thu morning, standing still on a corner station doesn't help of course. With the forecast in hand, we went a trift store on Monday and bought a couple of long sleeves and sweatshirts for a handful of dollars. I'll be doing more of that for future events, saves a bunch - both financially and logistically.

Last edited by Coach Ep; 22 Mar 2017 at 14:17.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3720659)   #82
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If I had your money, I'd burn mine.

Quote:
Better than Sebring, imho.
Bah. Humbug.

jimclark
Old 22 Mar 2017, 21:36 (Ref:3720764)   #83
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Also more demanding for 'walking-the-track' because of the elevation (it's more like hiking at times!).

Back from a great trip, did all 4 days at the corner (turn 17) so missed most of the atmosphere and (reduced) spectator crowd. But got to sit in the P40 Warhawk (on display just outside the paddock area)!

And yes, it was cold! Especially Wed and Thu morning, standing still on a corner station doesn't help of course. With the forecast in hand, we went a trift store on Monday and bought a couple of long sleeves and sweatshirts for a handful of dollars. I'll be doing more of that for future events, saves a bunch - both financially and logistically.
The elevations do burn at Road Atlanta. The sheer distance can be a struggle at Sebring. Both are great!

Good call on the thrift store shirts.

Quote:

Bah. Humbug.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 22:11 (Ref:3720775)   #84
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark

Bah. Humbug.

What are you laughing at??? I'm dead serious!!! On both counts!!!

(Well, maybe just the first count; two trips across the pond in one year for dumbarse BoP races... ...... But I do love RAtl )

Last edited by jimclark; 22 Mar 2017 at 22:39.

jimclark
Old 23 Mar 2017, 00:12 (Ref:3720794)   #85
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

Bah. Humbug.
Not going to University helps with that one trip to Sebring is about the same price as most people my age pay for two or three months accommodation for uni...
Old 23 Mar 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3720796)   #86
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Le Mans man...Le Mans...

jimclark
Old 23 Mar 2017, 01:07 (Ref:3720800)   #87
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Le Mans man...Le Mans...
No desire! Much rather do Daytona, Sebring, Petit...Le Mans is overrated IMO, I'll stick to watching it on TV and avoid the hassle and riff-raff

It would be a decent road trip but I've got Spa for that.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 05:06 (Ref:3720814)   #88
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
No desire! Much rather do Daytona, Sebring, Petit...Le Mans is overrated IMO, I'll stick to watching it on TV and avoid the hassle and riff-raff

It would be a decent road trip but I've got Spa for that.
BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Oh the pain. Ooohhh the agony.

Ye of little faith...how you've been indoctrinated .....for shame, for shame.....

jimclark
Old 2 Apr 2017, 04:29 (Ref:3723179)   #89
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If y'all are interested, here is the link to my Sebring photo gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/hAef5XXH2hm4bzRo8

Not my best work, but Sebring tends to bring the college-aged-dude out of me every time.

Quote:
I guess being young helps me, I was able to lap the circuit a few times from Wednesday to Saturday. No idea how many steps I did in total but I certainly felt it after each day. Sunday was tough for me until the evening rolled around, I'm not great in the heat so it was a long day until then!

I quite enjoyed watching at the hairpin- such a simple corner but great to watch the cars hard on the brakes then powerslide on exit. Good in the races too, not a lot of passing but when it does happen it quite often ends up with some wheel-banging.

Had a lap round the track shortly before the 12 hours, got to say it's a testament to virtual race simulators (thinking of iRacing.com) at how accurate they model the tracks- every bump I felt in person were exactly where I expected them to be thanks to the simulator.
Quote:
As for the spectator experience- wow, for a major event that's the best I've ever experienced. No traffic, parking was easy as anything (and you're not miles from the car), even on race day it surprised me how easy it all was. Some great viewing points around the circuit and little in the way of catchfencing to disrupt the view. I got some great footage.
Really happy that you enjoyed the event! Sorry we weren't able to catch up but I'm worthless until Friday anyway due to the 9+ hour overnight drive. As field said, you made it to parts of the track I've never seen and this was my 9th trip to Sebring! If you make it to Road Atlanta, and I hope you do some day as it is a terrific track, please come see us at turn 4. The 30 minute drive treats me much better.

Edit - Also, I was FREEZING until Saturday! That was one of the coldest events I've ever attended!

Last edited by JHamilton; 2 Apr 2017 at 04:36.
Old 2 Apr 2017, 23:36 (Ref:3723382)   #90
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
If y'all are interested, here is the link to my Sebring photo gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/hAef5XXH2hm4bzRo8

Not my best work, but Sebring tends to bring the college-aged-dude out of me every time.

Really happy that you enjoyed the event! Sorry we weren't able to catch up but I'm worthless until Friday anyway due to the 9+ hour overnight drive. As field said, you made it to parts of the track I've never seen and this was my 9th trip to Sebring! If you make it to Road Atlanta, and I hope you do some day as it is a terrific track, please come see us at turn 4. The 30 minute drive treats me much better.

Edit - Also, I was FREEZING until Saturday! That was one of the coldest events I've ever attended!
Yes, I was happy I went crazy with bedding but wish I had more layers of clothes, at times.

Those are fantastic photos, btw. Reminds me to not really bother with the camera phone when I'm with you.
Old 2 Apr 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3723385)   #91
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

Not my best work, but Sebring tends to bring the college-aged-dude out of me every time. ing
Dude, that was some solid work.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3740929)   #92
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Started my planning for Petit so will definitely try and visit Turn 4
Old 13 Jun 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3740978)   #93
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Started my planning for Petit so will definitely try and visit Turn 4
YES! We'll see you there!

Bring clothes you don't leaving covered in red clay, dry or otherwise.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Certainly, ask all questions needed!
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3741881)   #94
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks!

Any tips for general car parking?