Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 1 Apr 2001, 10:27 (Ref:75970)   #1
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I was talking to my History lecturer at college today and we started talking about classic cars. He came up with a valid point to which I can't answer:

How old can a car be to be refered to as a classic?

It confused me as my dad can't insure his '88 Volvo 340 as a classic, but the Classic Saloon Car Club will run a championship for Pre-90 cars this year.
Whats the answer guys?
Old 1 Apr 2001, 13:14 (Ref:76015)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Age alone doesn't make a car a classic. A minibox modern sedan like the little Volvo will never be a classic, though it might be a bit of a collector's item when it's forty years old.

The E-type Jag was a classic when it was new, for instance. The Aston Martins might have taken a little while longer, but that depends on your point of view.

Peugeot's 504 sedans were mass-produced and not at all deserving of the 'classic' nomenclature, no matter how good I think they are... but the 504 coupe has Pinin Farina bodywork and was made in small numbers... they are a classic at 20 years old.

It is also a matter of your perspective... tough question.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 08:35 (Ref:76430)   #3
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When and why can a woman described as pretty looking??
Hundreds of answers
Old 9 Apr 2001, 14:26 (Ref:78939)   #4
GordonThom
Rookie

GordonThom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is a classic

A wheelbarrow can be a classic. age does not make a car a classic. However any car can be a classic in the eye of the beholder but when many fancy the same make / model the car becomes a thoroughbred.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 08:33 (Ref:83927)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Officially, a Classic Car is a 1948-1960 model. Pre 1948 is vintage and 1961-1969 is post classic. These are the terms used by car insurers and classic car clubs etc.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 09:47 (Ref:83951)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That may well be a specifically Australian demarcation, David. In Britain, the only line drawn is the government's daft licencing law which says that a pre '74 car is a cherished classic and thus exempt from annual duty, and a post '74 car can never be.

Irritates "N" registered MG B and Triumph Stag owners mightily, I can tell you!

I think that to be honest, the term "classic" is rather too broadly used in the context of the old-car movement. I mean, a Nash/Austin Metropolitan is cute and distinctive, but it was also a terminally ghastly car in almost all respects.

But every Metropolitan which has made it this far is worth preserving, for its obvious will to live against all the odds.

My own hobby car, a 1970 Mercedes Benz 220, currently in immobile pieces in a lock-up, I would never describe as a classic. It's a distinctive old car. An icon in Beirut perhaps where the vast majority of them have served their time as taxicabs, running for 200,000 miles on paraffin and no maintenance. But it's not a classic in any sense of the word. Nor will it ever "become" a classic by virtue of having survived long enough. But that doesn't make her any the less precious in my eyes, and certainly does not make her any less worthy of preservation.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 13:31 (Ref:84017)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding was that Vintage was restricted to pre-1931... that there were Post Vintage Thoroughbreds and Classic was a name invented to allow more modern cars to sound better...
Old 24 Apr 2001, 08:32 (Ref:84347)   #8
GordonThom
Rookie

GordonThom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When is a Classic not a Classic

Graham Robson 1977 (April) Autocar gives a good discription of what a classic is. He said the only hard and fast rule is that if you think a car is a Classic, then it is one to you. I tend to agree with this statement.
Regards
Gordon Thom
Old 24 Apr 2001, 17:25 (Ref:84484)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What makes a car 'historic' then??

'Classic' car insurance seems to cover rather modern cars these days, including my friends Honda CRX from 1984. Which is a future classic perhaps (decent car and extremely quick)