Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jan 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2365427)   #1
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
European Cleaner Racing Conference - MIA

I will be attending this conference at the NEC on Wednesday, with a view to maintaining the profile of historic and classic racing in current discussions on greener" racing.

If any of you have particular issues that you would like me to keep in mind (running on E85, KERS retro-fit for classic cars, cleaner towing vehicles etc) then please either put it on here or PM me.

I will write a piece again for Carol Spagg after the event which she can publish as last time if she feels it merits wider discussion.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2365428)   #2
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
They race cleaners now? Wow.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2365433)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Being serious *ensign*, KERs is a no no, simply because it demands all sorts of control systems. However cleaner buring (electronic ignition) possibly limited to Super Unleaded and if necessary the installation of CATS would be a reasonable move (although not one I would voluntarily promote).
Old 5 Jan 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2365438)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your 'Dyson' with death there, Ensign!

The truth is though that this is a serious issue which we cannot pretend won't have an effect on our favourite sport. Any action that 'our scene' takes which can be shown publicly to mitigate its environmental impact has to be good, even though we know that in reality, motor racing, even as a whole, is but a speck on the overall problem. The problem is all about perception and we are an easy target. I urge anyone with constructive thoughts/ideas to contact Sarah.

Incidentally, I thought that we were now moving to second generation bio fuels, as we have rapidly established that E85, whilst paving the way, has proved very costly in terms of reducing the food growing areas of the world.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2365490)   #5
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Yes - second gen biofuels are more likely the way to go. John MacNeil gave a compelling presentation at an EEMS conference at Oxford Brookes a couple of years ago which turned the tide for me anyway, stating that 2nd gen (ie derived from wood pulp and other non-edible crops) not only releases food crops back to people who need to eat, but also actually deliver more bang for your buck in a power:acreage ratio. MacNeil was behind the successful Nasamax car which ran at Le Mans a few years ago. A chemist and a gentleman!
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2365492)   #6
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Hadn't spotted the tortology - but love it!
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2365501)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oi, stop with the bio fuels thing. I'm out here pumping gas to you lot at the moment!
Old 5 Jan 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2365610)   #8
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Oi, stop with the bio fuels thing. I'm out here pumping gas to you lot at the moment!
I'm not sure hot air is a problem...
Old 5 Jan 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2365639)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Talking Gas I run my towcar/road car on Autogas which is very clean burning (look at the oil for example never turns black and free of congestion charge into London) and I think it actually goes better on Gas than petrol or at least as well as it can stand more compression/advance also no need for special valve seats in old cars if you were to run unleaded so I have always had a hankering to convert my 1970's Camaro to gas. The only problem is refueling at the track although a special pump is available which means it is possible to fill up from Propane bottles (same stuff look at any Fork Lift truck but no road fuel duty) but a change in MSA regulations that you must run on road side fuel would have to be implemented. Or maybe it would be possible like a Fork lift truck to just bolt the whole Propane bottle in to the car and change the whole thing when empty, I think some of the good old boys in the US do this. Oh BTW its half the price of petrol even with the road tax and a lot less if Propane for cooking and heating!

I would also say retro fit of Kers would be impractical.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 5 Jan 2009 at 14:13.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2365654)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Retrofitting KERS sounds like a comically impractical idea - look at the issues F1 is having!
Old 5 Jan 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2365659)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides which,it was'nt fitted in period.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2365669)   #12
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And how do you think you are going to police any such changes - cannot even control visually inspected items at present without involving fuel samples and emmssions

Take out the armoc and replace the trees that will offset the problem - if there ever was one in the first place - would also tidy up the driving
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2366291)   #13
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Everyone will be racing Hoovers by 2020 if we're not careful!
Not exactly motorsport oriented, but has anyone seen what musician Neil Young is up to with his '59 Lincoln? This is interesting, he and his team have some great ideas re: fuels and retooling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...se&oref=slogin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUIp...e=channel_page
Old 7 Jan 2009, 05:50 (Ref:2366802)   #14
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
Thanks guys for your input - I'm off to the seminar now