Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 26 Jan 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2619760)   #1
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands hatch event with a difference!

Ok so I was looking through the new event dates thay have added online and came accross this:

http://live2010.bikeradar.com/

all I can say is....oh dear! This is one event i certainly wont be going to, especially as it coincides with the British GP
Old 26 Jan 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2619786)   #2
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how is it oh dear?? it is not a crime to ride bikes...
Old 26 Jan 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2619810)   #3
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
how is it oh dear?? it is not a crime to ride bikes...

its Just my opinion...I am not a fan thats all, I am in no way calling it a "crime".

At a Race track, I pay for the season pass for racing, not pedal bikes.

Last edited by brands hatch; 26 Jan 2010 at 18:03.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2619821)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Do you feel the same about Race Car Live and Modified Live, neither of which feature any actual racing?

As you've already said you won't be going there as it clashes with the BGP what's the problem?
Old 26 Jan 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2619839)   #5
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm slightly surprised no circuit has thought of using their track after cerfew for cycle racing. Having been on the finish line of a professional criterion (i.e. circuit road race) the thrill matches that in motor racing, as you can have 50 or 60 guys doing 40mph coming past. The crashes are pretty spectactuar too.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2619855)   #6
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
I'm slightly surprised no circuit has thought of using their track after cerfew for cycle racing.
Nothing new here. I went to Crystal Palace in the late 50's to watch cycle racing on the circuit. Usually happened on summer evenings. My neighbour, who did cycle road racing at the time, took me along. The neighbour, a certain John Quick who went on to race very successfully in a Jaguar E Type; the famous WOO11.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2619863)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily I had this exact thought a few months ago and wondered why circuits don't do it. Seems quite sensible really.

Hopefully it's a successful income stream, but not so much as to over-rule the cars
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2619865)   #8
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear, they aren't going to take the same route as Zolder, are they?
There's more cycling nowadays there than racing.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2619911)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It's actually the second year the event has been run. Last year it was held at Donington and I believe the original plan was to be there again.

Mallory regularly gets used for cycling events.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2619928)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beat me to it redshoes - also triathlon, cyclocross and more.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2619959)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't I read some where that Brands was being lined up as Training Venue for the 2012 Olympics.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2620166)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Oh no please help us, is the all consuming god that is the olympics going to put this venue out of action for a month as well?
Old 27 Jan 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2620252)   #13
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
Didn't I read some where that Brands was being lined up as Training Venue for the 2012 Olympics.
you did

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/...spx?news=sport
Old 27 Jan 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2620326)   #14
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch has hosted cycle racing before, last summer they had at least one weekday evening, mass participation event hosted by a local club, with proceeds going to charity.

As others have said, Donington hosted it (very successfully) last year and the likes of Mallory, Spa, Zolder, Goodwood have all, or continue to host major cycling events.

Don't see what the OPs fuss is about, the more non-racing investment race tracks can bring in then the better they'll be able to improve facilities, particularly for spectators.

*Edit* Knew there was something else, one of the UK's top professional cycling teams is actually hosting their launch at Silverstone this Friday, so there's another example of how motorsport and cycling can co-exist to each others benefit.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2620347)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There have been cycling events at Lydden too - in some cases on a Sunday morning prior to a race meeting in the afternoon. Quite a good idea really, no proper racing allowed on a Sunday morning so let the pedallists out on track for a bit (don't think I'd fancy pedalling up the Hill at Lydden though )
Old 27 Jan 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2620390)   #16
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Do you feel the same about Race Car Live and Modified Live, neither of which feature any actual racing??
No as it is motorsport. Completely different to pedal bikes.

Quote:
As you've already said you won't be going there as it clashes with the BGP what's the problem?

I feel that it is a "waste" of a race weekend...I know they obviously had to fill it with something, and the circuit can obviously see there is to be some money to be made from it. I would rather of seen a Club raceday in there or such like, thats all.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2620454)   #17
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
I feel that it is a "waste" of a race weekend...I know they obviously had to fill it with something, and the circuit can obviously see there is to be some money to be made from it. I would rather of seen a Club raceday in there or such like, thats all.
Maybe a club didn't want that day
Old 27 Jan 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2620471)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
So basically selfish and if I may say so slightly irrational reasons.

Other than 750MC last year it's pretty rare for any circuit or club to run a race meeting on the same day as the GP. If MSV see this as a way to fill an otherwise empty weekend and maybe make some money in the process then I don't consider that a bad thing. If making a little extra money means they can afford to reduce the cost of a season ticket then even better.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2620481)   #19
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
So basically selfish and if I may say so slightly irrational reasons.
In that case do you consider anyone who has an opinion selfish?? It is my view that the event doesnt interest me and that i would rather they held something else. If no one wants that date then fine, it doesnt change my opinion of the event. Its no different to anyone else having any other opinion on any other race series or event.

Quote:
If making a little extra money means they can afford to reduce the cost of a season ticket then even better.

That won't happen

Last edited by brands hatch; 27 Jan 2010 at 18:40.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2620500)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
In that case do you consider anyone who has an opinion selfish??
Your opinion of this revolves around the idea that you are somehow being hard done by, despite the fact that you are not missing out on another race event because it would otherwise have been an empty weekend, and ignoring that several thousand people will get enjoyment out of it. That to me is quite a selfish attitude.

Personally I won't be attending the event since it's one I have little or no interest in but I have no problem with it taking place. The same could be said for the British GP happening the same weekend.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2620512)   #21
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is one event i certainly wont be going to, especially as it coincides with the British GP
So if you're not going anyway due to the BGP, I have to wonder why you were compelled to mention it at all......

I'm sure Sleepy, Bashful, Dopey, Doc, Happy and Sneezy will miss you that day though......

Last edited by Hubble; 27 Jan 2010 at 19:22. Reason: Insert smiley face
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2620513)   #22
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Your opinion of this revolves around the idea that you are somehow being hard done by, despite the fact that you are not missing out on another race event because it would otherwise have been an empty weekend, and ignoring that several thousand people will get enjoyment out of it. That to me is quite a selfish attitude.
Fair enough...you are entitled to your opinion

Quote:
Personally I won't be attending the event since it's one I have little or no interest in but I have no problem with it taking place.
Touche...I do not mind where this event takes place, I would just rather it was something else, or somewhere else, as i have no interest in it.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2620514)   #23
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
So if you're not going anyway due to the BGP, I have to wonder why you were compelled to mention it at all......
I am allowed to mention what ever I want! Where does it state "one must be attending anything you mention on ten-tenths"????

And I am sure they will miss me very much

Last edited by brands hatch; 27 Jan 2010 at 19:37.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2620527)   #24
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the circuits origins begun with pedal bike racing, so really its quiet a fitting venue
Old 27 Jan 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2620532)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If this government has its way we will all be racing push bikes or pedal cars!