Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 Mar 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2657197)   #1
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tunnel collapse at Spa-Francorchamps

Just had a phonecall from a friend telling me that the Blanchimont tunnel partially collapsed around midday. There was track activity, but at that moment no cars were running. The track itself is still there, it seems most of the graveltrap, armco, marshal's hut, tv camera and more went down.
Problem is that nobody knows if any cars, bikes or pedestrians were in or near the tunnel during the collapse.
At this very moment an emergency plan has been set up, to start digging for possible victims.

This from the RTL website: "Vers 11h45, une partie du tunnel de Blanchimont, situé sous le circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, s’est effondrée. Il s’agit d’une voie d’accès souterraine de six mètres de haut, permettant aux poids lourds d’atteindre les paddocks. L’effondrement s’est produit Ã* hauteur du poste 20, explique Christine Calmeau pour RTL-TVi.

Les pompiers sont sur place afin de s’assurer que personne ne soit coincé sous les gravats. D’après les premières informations, il semble que personne ne se trouvait Ã* cet endroit au moment des faits. Cependant, aucun bilan n’a pour l’instant été communiqué."
Old 21 Mar 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2657210)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Let's hope no one was underneath at the time.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2657240)   #3
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As if Spa needed more troubles. Let's hope everyone is safe.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2657242)   #4
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to a marshal, who was on his way home (albeit a tat early) for luchbreak, nobody was inside the tunnel. So that is good news.
Although some marshals already said it was a shame he wasn't 20m further when it happened.

The first joke appeared already: some say it was a terror attack by the Sourdine Group.

Probable cause at the moment: a landslide because of the huge amount of snow and rain they had over the winter.
The track will be inspected tomorrow by a surveyor. With just over a month before the first race, everything should be okay.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2657252)   #5
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tunnel collapses at Spa-Francorchamps

The 'Tunnel de Blanchimont' that provides access to the paddock of Spa-Francorchamps has collapsed this afternoon.
There are no casualties. It is not known what the effect is on the race calendar.
http://www.gva.be/nieuws/binnenland/...ingestort.aspx
Old 21 Mar 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2657276)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That isn't the one I got stuck in!

Glad no one is hurt.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2657281)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Any pictures?
Old 21 Mar 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2657308)   #8
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcn...t-spa-fra_news

It seems the asphalt of the race track has been damaged as well.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2657445)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Is this the main entrance/exit tunnel near to the medical centre? From the video it doesn't look big enough and I don't remember it having a curved roof or is that all that's left of it?
It looks pretty terminal as the concrete sections also look like they've fractured.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2657459)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
As far as I know there is only one tunnel providing access to the paddock at Spa, so this must be it. Not good.

There is access to the paddock by a road from the far side. The transporters take that because they couldn't get through the tunnel, which is indeed narrow and not very high..
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2657467)   #11
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Strider, this is the bigger truck tunnel built a few years ago now at the bottom of the circuit.

We are testing there Euro F3 Open Thursday/Friday this week - at least we are supposed to be...
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2657468)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought there was two, although I've only ever been through one.
(can't access the video at the mo)
There is one by the entrance on the circuit near Eaur Rouge and one on the other side (the one I've not been through) on Blanchimont side that you get to via the old circuit road.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2657616)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As there have been no further reports I hope nobody was hurt in this.

The main entrance tunnel is at Stavelot, near the medical centre.

There is a tunnel just after the exit of Blanchiment which allows vehicles to drive from the paddock to the outside of the circuit.

Could we have a case of failed geography here? Those kerbs don't look like Stavelot to me.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Mar 2010 at 06:20.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 07:35 (Ref:2657643)   #14
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jebus, that's some serious stuff. Could have been much worse. Just glad that it wasn't busy.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2657675)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is the Stavelot Tunnel Peter,its the one thats used also by the Units inside of the circuit.
I got a call yesterday from a friend over there,told me "It must have been my fault for driving out of there too quickly last Saturday" [I gave him a lift home] When I explained that that was just over a week ago he came back with" Typical of Belgium,being slow to react!".
Mind you,they did start on it yesterday,if that had been over here,no-one would have turned up till this morning,trying to decide what they were going to do about it!
Old 22 Mar 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2657687)   #16
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a job for Mr Gillett.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2657694)   #17
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Sounds like a job for Mr Gillett.
Beat me to it.

But actually it looks more like he must have been there already with his team of professional and trusted civil engineers.

Jim
Old 22 Mar 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2657697)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
That is the Stavelot Tunnel Peter,its the one thats used also by the Units inside of the circuit.
I got a call yesterday from a friend over there,told me "It must have been my fault for driving out of there too quickly last Saturday" [I gave him a lift home] When I explained that that was just over a week ago he came back with" Typical of Belgium,being slow to react!".
Mind you,they did start on it yesterday,if that had been over here,no-one would have turned up till this morning,trying to decide what they were going to do about it!
Odd, they must have removed the wide kerbs then.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2657738)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Aw, shucks. I was planning to celebrate my birthday at the LMS there, early May... Would any Civil Engineers here please confirm if this is fixable that quickly???
Old 22 Mar 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2657779)   #20
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the same tunnel workers like at Cologne subway been involved and stole some iron there too
Old 22 Mar 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2657809)   #21
MMC Andy
Racer

England
Newmarket
MMC Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT Open & Euro F3 tests planned for Thursday & Friday have been cancelled.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2657824)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
From the video and the reports I assume the collapse is at the tunnel behind the new medical centre marked as No. 1 on the picture and not the main access road marked at No. 2.
Can someone confirm as the one in the video doesn't look big enough to be the main entrance.
Attached Thumbnails
spa1.jpg  
Old 22 Mar 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2657840)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
No Strider, this is the bigger truck tunnel built a few years ago now at the bottom of the circuit.

We are testing there Euro F3 Open Thursday/Friday this week - at least we are supposed to be...
Thanks John, I'm with you now. When you think about it there would have to be tunnel in the road from Blanchimont, just to get under the track, but I don't remember it all, even though one year I was driven in and out that way several times. Must have been too sleepy.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2658052)   #24
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
It IS the big tunnel at the back (Stavelot) that caved in, not the one in the paddock. And no one was hurt in the incident.
It looks small Tim, as it IS a narrow tunnel, high but narrow. I've hated that tunnel ever since it was constructed. There is no safety structure whatsoever, only those strange metal panels that hold everything together.

Anyhow, as there is far too much gossip going on at the moment, there is no news yet as what is going to happen. And I will refrain of giving wrong information (as I already did in the first post with armco and other stuff gone down the hole).

It doesn't look to good at the moment because of the cracks and possible further collapse. Don't forget that this tunnel was built in 1978 and has been widened twice, with added weight on top.

At the moment everything has been cancelled for this week and probably longer.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2658067)   #25
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can you keep us posted just in case any big races are forced to change?