Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jan 2015, 00:50 (Ref:3490862)   #76
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Gordon - Steve Wright on Radio 2 is doing a thing all this week about the late 60's and hippies and what they got up to, wants people to tell him what they got up to, what they wore, where they went etc. He's on from 2pm till 5pm. When he starts I keep thinking about you
Yes I can pick up radio 2 on the internet, but will they pay a reverse call from Spain ? I suppose I could email him ! Anyway I wasn't really a hippy "man" I was an out and out rocker tearing about on my Bonneville and the first Honda 750 4 in the south east, then I got into motor racing, however my other half was a "hippy chick"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3490895)   #77
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gordon - Steve Wright on Radio 2 is doing a thing all this week about the late 60's and hippies and what they got up to, wants people to tell him what they got up to, what they wore, where they went etc. He's on from 2pm till 5pm. When he starts I keep thinking about you
A lot of that period is blurred by an excess of recreational substances
Old 8 Jan 2015, 07:37 (Ref:3490903)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duke View Post
Probably just as well, or would have to be censored......

Gordon, another early adopter! (Japanese 'bike) Did you get a cold shoulder from Brit bike owners? I had a new CB250SS in 1967 when all the equivalent capacity bikes were Norton, Triumph etc. Didn't always get a warm welcome from 'Mates', probably because the Honda would knock spots off their machines.....

Old 8 Jan 2015, 07:52 (Ref:3490904)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duke View Post
I don't believe it was excessive.
Old 8 Jan 2015, 07:57 (Ref:3490905)   #80
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had a two year old Bonneville that I brought new for £275 as I got a trade discount and I traded it in for the 750 K1 Honda that cost a whopping £600 !.
I got stopped by a copper on the way home as I was doing 80+ mph in a 30 limit but as he was bike mad he said he only wanted to look at it and didn't do me !
Most of my mates were jealous but one by one started buying Jap bikes, why didn't I keep those bikes as they are fetching a fortune now !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jan 2015, 12:52 (Ref:3491263)   #81
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Guess it didn't make national news, but certainly did locally- RAF Mildenhall air base is to close. Although 'RAF', it is a US base currently hostin a squadron of refuelling tankers. When travelling up and down the A11, you sometimes get a tanker or military cargo plane passing overhead on 'finals'.

But the thing the base will be most remembered for by many is its annual Air Fete, that sadly got canned when the 'war on terror' caused security issues everywhere. Visiting the event was like being transported across the Atlantic for a day. All the food and drink was flown in, so hot dogs for instance were authentic American size and quality! They certainly knew how to put on a show, and the crowds were always massive. Remember last visit with my late Dad, when we watched a V Bomber display (one of each type- not just a lone Vulcan!) and stood mesmerised for what seemed ages while a Sea Fury warmed up just feet away from our parking spot. Things like that you never forget!

During the day I bought a huge limited edition print for Dad, a superb painting depicting a Lightning taking off. We had a squadron of them years before at our local base, RAF Coltishall, so knew what they were all about. I now have that print proudly on a wall at home, and it still brings back memories!

Very happy days.......
Old 9 Jan 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3491266)   #82
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I had a two year old Bonneville that I brought new for £275 as I got a trade discount and I traded it in for the 750 K1 Honda that cost a whopping £600 !.
I got stopped by a copper on the way home as I was doing 80+ mph in a 30 limit but as he was bike mad he said he only wanted to look at it and didn't do me !
Most of my mates were jealous but one by one started buying Jap bikes, why didn't I keep those bikes as they are fetching a fortune now !
I know what you mean about the price the old bikes are making now .This is one of mine from a long , long time ago .
Old 9 Jan 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3491269)   #83
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Flyping eck, its Marland Brando
Old 9 Jan 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3491274)   #84
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I can remember we had an old Beezer when I was at school that we used to thrash round the field until it died through lack of oil, someone took it away as to us it was just a piece of junk, later we found out it was a "Goldie" Hindsight Paaaa !!!!!
Old 9 Jan 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3491297)   #85
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Guess it didn't make national news, but certainly did locally- RAF Mildenhall air base is to close. Although 'RAF', it is a US base currently hostin a squadron of refuelling tankers. When travelling up and down the A11, you sometimes get a tanker or military cargo plane passing overhead on 'finals'.

But the thing the base will be most remembered for by many is its annual Air Fete, that sadly got canned when the 'war on terror' caused security issues everywhere. Visiting the event was like being transported across the Atlantic for a day. All the food and drink was flown in, so hot dogs for instance were authentic American size and quality! They certainly knew how to put on a show, and the crowds were always massive. Remember last visit with my late Dad, when we watched a V Bomber display (one of each type- not just a lone Vulcan!) and stood mesmerised for what seemed ages while a Sea Fury warmed up just feet away from our parking spot. Things like that you never forget!

During the day I bought a huge limited edition print for Dad, a superb painting depicting a Lightning taking off. We had a squadron of them years before at our local base, RAF Coltishall, so knew what they were all about. I now have that print proudly on a wall at home, and it still brings back memories!

Very happy days.......
Mike, it did make the news, heard it on the radio here in the Midlands.

The 'Fete' took place last year. They moved it a few years ago to RAF Feltwell just down the road. We went in 2012 in my mates ex USAF Dodge crewbus (it originally was a Mildenhall vehicle). Yep, loads of huge bbq's with all sorts on offer including turkey legs that were more Ostrich sized. Spitfire, Lancaster, Red Arrows and modern fighter planes all put on a display. Was an excellent day out.

The 2013 fete was cancelled by the base commander due to budget cuts but it didn't go down well with the men what with it being 4th July and all that. Apparently an unofficial gathering took place off base. Last year it was back on, I sent my dad there and he too had a fantastic day.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 9 Jan 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3491336)   #86
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I know what you mean about the price the old bikes are making now .This is one of mine from a long , long time ago .

Bonnies were girls bikes
Goldies were the best bike BSA ever biult!! Lol.
Although not exactly mine (half share with a mate) I used to use one every w/end, fantastic days/nights riding that thing.
A regular Friday night thing was a blast down to Southend on the A127, 24miles and 16minutes including roundabouts.
Mike, were you at Mildenhall for the first public showing of the Blackbird? What an amazing bit of kit that was, vibes from it certainly clear the chest
Old 9 Jan 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3491363)   #87
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
The 'Fete' took place last year. They moved it a few years ago to RAF Feltwell just down the road. We went in 2012 in my mates ex USAF Dodge crewbus (it originally was a Mildenhall vehicle). Yep, loads of huge bbq's with all sorts on offer including turkey legs that were more Ostrich sized. Spitfire, Lancaster, Red Arrows and modern fighter planes all put on a display. Was an excellent day out.
Thanks for the update, Moose, it had me looking to see if the fete is happening this year! Can't see it on any calendar, unfortunately. Bet it was fun going in an ex USAF crewbus!

Terence, we saw either blackbird or stealth thing on last visit, can't remember which. Remember it was very big, whichever.........

Old 9 Jan 2015, 18:22 (Ref:3491376)   #88
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Not just Mildenhall affected from what I read in the Times, Mike - RAF Alconbury and Molesworth to lose USAF presence, too.....tho RAF Lakenheath will see some increase......and some yanks moving to Germany.
Old 9 Jan 2015, 18:28 (Ref:3491381)   #89
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bet it was fun going in an ex USAF crewbus!

Yep, we went in with Ride of the Valkyries blasting out
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 9 Jan 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3491414)   #90
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Not just Mildenhall affected from what I read in the Times, Mike - RAF Alconbury and Molesworth to lose USAF presence, too.....tho RAF Lakenheath will see some increase......and some yanks moving to Germany.
Hmm.

So, old airfields.

What on earth could one use them for?
Old 9 Jan 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3491415)   #91
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Very happy days.......
Happy days indeed Mike.

Also remember when they were at Wethersfield in Essex as well. My first insight into how the Americans did air shows but Mildenhall was so much larger and packed. Fantastic.

Oh, it did make national news as well.
Going to miss the air traffic coming over us here at Redgrave on their approaches to the base. Never thought they would wind mildenhall up.
Old 9 Jan 2015, 20:21 (Ref:3491422)   #92
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, loads of huge bbq's with all sorts on offer including turkey legs that were more Ostrich sized.
Back in 2004 I went to a business conference in Orlando that was located next to the Universal Studios complex.

Stayed an extra day to "do" the site and, feeling peckish come lunchtime, I thought a small turkey leg had to be tried. So, "small" turkey leg, "Small" coke and about $5 lighter in the wallet I set about luncheon.

2 hours later I had barely started the leg and was totally gassed out by about 5 gallons of Coke. It was about 90f at the time and I had come to realise that there was no seating or shade for anyone who was snacking off the fast food stands rather than eating in the more expensive serviced restaurants.

I wondered if I could make the leg last for a few more days but being scheduled to fly on to the next destination in the morning I realised that was probably not an option no matter how sensible it seemed at the time.

Have to say it was a great leg.

I noticed a couple of days ago that the local Coop had a small offering of what they called Turkey Legs. Quite large but compared to proper American legs they looked more like something small sparrow would have provided.
Old 9 Jan 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3491438)   #93
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm.

So, old airfields.

What on earth could one use them for?
Few straw bales and job's a good 'un......

Old 10 Jan 2015, 02:28 (Ref:3491519)   #94
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Few straw bales and job's a good 'un......

Nice long straight available but iirc the folks around Mildenhall are not too keen on noise these days.

So, a huge area like that would make an excellent new town I would have thought. Lots of nice incomers for them to greet.

Alternatively, given that somewhere along the line our wonderful leaders will make us all go "electric" the place could be become and electric motor sport centre.

Electric dragsters on the main runway might be nice quiet fun.

They could build an entire wind farm to power the whole thing.

Obviously my hope in the short term would be that such a development keeps existing tracks from the threat of being "converted", at least in the rest of my active lifetime.

Failing that, back to the straw bales idea ....
Old 10 Jan 2015, 06:39 (Ref:3491531)   #95
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, RAF Coltishall that I mentioned earler closed in 2006, and is still waiting for decisions to be made on the way forward!

Home to Hurricanes (Bader was based there at one point) and Spits during the war, then used as a V Bomber 'dispersal' base, through Gloster Javelins (that I watched and heard every day while growing up) and Lightnings to SEPECAT Jaguars and Air Sea Rescue, with BBMF based in the hangers also for several years, I find it disappointing to know that the place is gradually crumbling away. There was even a suggestion of giving the land back to the local farmers from whom it was compulsory purchased in 1939. That would have been better than the situation we have now!

Think there are still housing plans under consideration, but whether the infrastructure can cope is another question.....
Old 10 Jan 2015, 10:35 (Ref:3491569)   #96
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I just read about the bases Mike, very sad. On my regular jaunts East over the last 20 years or so, Mildenhall and environs was always a treat. Just watching KC135s, F111s, various choppers and so on was great. I never saw a B52 though. Whats that old one near Fakenham, disused for many years I think?

I fear they'll be housing estates before too long
Old 10 Jan 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3491587)   #97
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Whats that old one near Fakenham, disused for many years I think?
You're thinking West Raynham or Sculthorpe, at a guess. Former is becoming a solar energy park....
Old 10 Jan 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3491598)   #98
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One sight I'll never forget was the 17 F111's going out to Iraq in the morning and only 16 coming back in the evening.Not pleasant thinking of what had happened to the pilot.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3491606)   #99
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, RAF Coltishall that I mentioned earler closed in 2006, and is still waiting for decisions to be made on the way forward!

Home to Hurricanes (Bader was based there at one point) and Spits during the war, then used as a V Bomber 'dispersal' base, through Gloster Javelins (that I watched and heard every day while growing up) and Lightnings to SEPECAT Jaguars and Air Sea Rescue, with BBMF based in the hangers also for several years, I find it disappointing to know that the place is gradually crumbling away. There was even a suggestion of giving the land back to the local farmers from whom it was compulsory purchased in 1939. That would have been better than the situation we have now!

Think there are still housing plans under consideration, but whether the infrastructure can cope is another question.....
Mike while I was in the UK in 96 I was offered a tour of Coltishall but as I has left my RAAF pass home in Aussie had to decline the invite. Terrence RAAF base Amberley 35miles away from my home was home to our F-111 nicknamed The PIG hence my sig.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3491628)   #100
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
Terrence RAAF base Amberley 35miles away from my home was home to our F-111 nicknamed The PIG hence my sig.
Excellent, something else learned today! Don't suppose Coltishall was anything but a run of the mill base but always remember when they had open days there how spotless the place was. The main runway was at 90 degrees to the local road and if passing always had a glance to see if anything was taking off!

Recollect that Jaguars were sometimes painted pink when on operational duty in the Gulf etc....... Not sure if it was a good look!