Flameshield Fire & Flame Retardent for Fabrics

Thought that this might be usefull on overalls

http://www.flametectfabrics.co.uk/
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1343320)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Possibly, but I rather point you to the advice I hand out at fire training sessions: If you are too hot you are too close.

Marshals' overalls are not to protect you from flames.

Is there anyone out there who can truly say that they have beenin flames where the overalls played a part (or failed) in protecting them?

My closest shave was in about 1973 in in Renault 5 (I think) which caught fire when I was inside the upside down car tending to the driver. Overalls survived without a scorch mark.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 29 Jun 2005 at 21:36. Reason: spelling
Old 30 Jun 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1343526)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW

My closest shave was in about 1973 in in Renault 5 (I think) which caught fire when I was inside the upside down car tending to the driver. Overalls survived without a scorch mark.
Ahhh but what about the eyebrows Jim?!
Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1343899)   #4
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or the soles of the shoes?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1344006)   #5
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankfully I've never needed the benefits.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1344111)   #6
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget, the flames can come to you, so the If your too close thing isn't totally true!

On the training day at Combe this year the Fire Marshal ended up with no eye brows after the fire training car decided to bite back!
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1344261)   #7
p15pathfinder
Rookie

England
p15pathfinder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally dispair at times at the way some people, sadly a lot of marshals, think that fire is something that cannot hurt them.

I hear a lot about flame retardants, Nomex and other bits and pieces.

Please take it from me, I was a fireman for 26 years. Fire will burn you without you even getting very close. Nomex, Proban and anything else will not stop it fully. The flames might not touch you but the radiated heat will, even through the thin and poor quality protective clothing marshals wear.

As has been mentioned here and I have been saying this elsehwere.................. If you feel the heat then you are TOO close!

Don't think of putting on layers of protective clothing, the best protection is good training.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1344268)   #8
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p15pathfinder
I totally dispair at times at the way some people, sadly a lot of marshals, think that fire is something that cannot hurt them.......
As has been mentioned here and I have been saying this elsehwere.................. If you feel the heat then you are TOO close!
Don't think of putting on layers of protective clothing, the best protection is good training.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 30 Jun 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1344302)   #9
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probans etc.

Quote:
I totally dispair at times at the way some people, sadly a lot of marshals, think that fire is something that cannot hurt them.

Please take it from me, I was a fireman for 26 years. Fire will burn you without you even getting very close. Nomex, Proban and anything else will not stop it fully. The flames might not touch you but the radiated heat will, even through the thin and poor quality protective clothing marshals wear.

Got to agree with p15pathfinder on this one If you feel the heat then you are TOO close! That is the best rule of thumb that marshals can use. Like p15pathfinder I did 30 years as a Firefighter and believe me it can at times be very unpredictable especially when you are least expecting it and particularly when you have a crowd of several hundred speccies watching For any marshals who have doubts about their position, Proban overalls and good fire training are more than adequate for what we need in the 'Orange Army'. I know that our new badges state that we are "Heroes" but lets not get carried away! Play safe!!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1344689)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My thoughts on this is I wear Probans over Nomex undies because:

1) It's comfortable that way.
2) I'm visible.
3) It saves me having to think 'what shall I wear today?'
4) In the highly unlikely event that I'm at an incident and then a fire starts, I've got a first line of defence in the minute amount of time it's going to take me to run away.

And to put that in perspective, in 18 years I have once seen a marshal attending the driver in a car that went up in flames while he was there, and he had taken the precaution of making sure fire cover had arrived, and I have once been in the situation of having to get under the back of a car to get to the inside of the burning brakes (nothing else would put it out.) Again, additional cover was there should it have been needed.

So to echo the above, if it's burning already, don't go close enough to feel it.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1344773)   #11
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
My thoughts on this is I wear Probans over Nomex undies because:

1) It's comfortable that way.
2) I'm visible.
3) It saves me having to think 'what shall I wear today?'
4) In the highly unlikely event that I'm at an incident and then a fire starts, I've got a first line of defence in the minute amount of time it's going to take me to run away.

And to put that in perspective, in 18 years I have once seen a marshal attending the driver in a car that went up in flames while he was there, and he had taken the precaution of making sure fire cover had arrived, and I have once been in the situation of having to get under the back of a car to get to the inside of the burning brakes (nothing else would put it out.) Again, additional cover was there should it have been needed.

So to echo the above, if it's burning already, don't go close enough to feel it.
Well your point 3 opens up all sorts of possibilities, if we hadn't got probans we could have a separate forum for the "Fashion conscious Marshal" the mind boggles...perish the thought
Old 1 Jul 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1344860)   #12
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Thats the trouble, and alot of people seem to forget that, how do you know if your to close if the fire hasn't started yet.

I'll stick with my Proban's and Nomex undies, I won't take any extra risks, but I stand a better chance if the unexpected happens, at Combe last week a car very nearly made it onto the bank (an F3) right next to 2 Marshals and a Driver, what if it had made it and caught fire?

The Biggest problem in Marshalling is those dam fold up chair things!
In Canada (I think) they had to move some out of the way so a car could pull of track!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1344864)   #13
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Quote:

So, is it best to wear the absolute minimum or just go for a little bit more protection, as you say, we wear poor quality clothing, so surely a bit extra is a bonus?
You say it won't stop it fully, but even if it has a very slight efect thats a good thing?
Old 18 Jul 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1357585)   #14
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flameshield Fire & Flame Retardent

Someone asked me for this on Sunday at Cadwell

Flameshield Fire & Flame Retardent for Fabrics

[url]http://www.flametectfabrics.co.uk/
Old 18 Jul 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1357603)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
duplicate - merged with original thread
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1357644)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet
....I did 30 years as a Firefighter
.....so why you you keep insisting that you're only 27yrs old then Tel?
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1357649)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss24355261
Or maybe not? It's a fire retardant treatment intended for soft furnishings, complying with the relevant standards. Proban complies with a totally different set of standards which cover the requirements for protective clothing.

Personally, I don't wear a sofa for marshalling..........
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1357654)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1357662)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Oi, what's this - adding canned laughter to your own jokes?
Old 18 Jul 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1357843)   #20
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[
Personally, I don't wear a sofa for marshalling..........[/QUOTE]

Well, I think you should try it at least once. If ever we're on post together if we can't put a fire out with you at least we can sit on you!
Old 18 Jul 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1357847)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrammy
If ever we're on post together if we can't put a fire out with you at least we can sit on you!
Are you sure you mean SIT........
Old 18 Jul 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1357992)   #22
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
.....so why you you keep insisting that you're only 27yrs old then Tel?
Actually, Magnet's double that today, Monday 18 July,
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1358006)   #23
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
Aarrhh the secrets out...the curse of KayBee strikes again
Old 18 Jul 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1358031)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
Yes but he does not look a day over 55. Happy birthday sir.

Regards

Jim
Old 18 Jul 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1358089)   #25
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ss24355261...where you at BGP on campsite red car?????????????