Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3808494)   #1376
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad to see F1 still has a sense of humour
Old 17 Mar 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3808497)   #1377
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
100% of the profit from sales of the McLaren edition flip flops going to their charity for orphaned children. Great reason to buy some flip flops I'd say.

http://www.gandyslondon.com/mclaren-...___store=uk_en

Thanks for the link- tried to find one yesterday and failed! Will be putting in an order....
Old 17 Mar 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3808519)   #1378
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I was lucky enough to be invited on a jolly to the Geneva Motorshow on Thursday. A few manufacturers (Honda, Mercedes & Aston Martin at least) had current F1 cars on their stands. I realise that these were show cars / mock ups made to look like the latest thing but it was interesting to see that none of them were wearing a halo...
Old 17 Mar 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3808573)   #1379
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure that's a point to make - none of the teams will be wanting to use manufacturing capacity to mock up something for the showcars even now with freight en route to melbourne, and the proper halo manufacturer probably doesn't have time either.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3808600)   #1380
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
The point that I was making was that despite making every apparent effort to make these show cars look like the latest thing, none had the most obvious change for 2018 (which could have been as much as a mock up as the rest of the car) fitted to them.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 21:44 (Ref:3808652)   #1381
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The Halo is very unpopular in Melbourne. Been in Melbourne since yesterday, and not one person has had anything positive to say about it so far. A lot of F1 fans have cancelled and/or asking for a refund of their tickets. Mark Webber said it's one of the worst decisions F1 has made for a long time. And most fans here seem to agree with him.

On another note, spotted Bottas having lunch yesterday. Must be very keen if he's already in Melbourne this early.

Old 18 Mar 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3808891)   #1382
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Glad to see F1 still has a sense of humour
More confusingly, it's McLaren with a sense of humor? That's more shocking than them not running at F1 pace for years now
Old 18 Mar 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3808897)   #1383
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well not so much of a shock now that Ron is no longer there
Old 18 Mar 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3808913)   #1384
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Quick question - I may have missed something, but what is meant/implied by the 'rotate' smiley?
Old 18 Mar 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3808915)   #1385
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Quick question - I may have missed something, but what is meant/implied by the 'rotate' smiley?
Seems to go quite aptly with the post, I'd say? I don't think you've missed anything, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for......
Old 19 Mar 2018, 05:09 (Ref:3809032)   #1386
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Seems to go quite aptly with the post, I'd say?
I can't comment on how well it goes with the post I'm afraid - as I don't know what the smiley is meant to mean.

It might fit perfectly, just wondering how / why?
Old 19 Mar 2018, 05:46 (Ref:3809035)   #1387
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
A lot of F1 fans have cancelled and/or asking for a refund of their tickets.
Don't disagree that the Halo isn't great.. but we've known for a while that it was coming for 2018, so I don't like their chances of a refund.

I struggle to think that the tickets would have been bought before knowing about the Halo as well.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 05:57 (Ref:3809036)   #1388
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The Halo is very unpopular in Melbourne. Been in Melbourne since yesterday, and not one person has had anything positive to say about it so far. A lot of F1 fans have cancelled and/or asking for a refund of their tickets.
This really baffles me.

F1 fans, who are in Melbourne this far in advance of the race, and have purchased tickets - are finding out about the Halo for the first time? Then, having found out about this one change, are disappointed so much that they are asking for a refund?

Have these people been living under a rock for the last few months? If genuine - then there is truly 'nowt as queer.....
Old 19 Mar 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3809055)   #1389
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yet the Grand Prix board are reporting a recent years record level of advance ticket sales..... maybe they are (not!) drawn by the fact 'Furnace and the Fundamentals' (never heard of them) are playing live after the GP.
Quote:
A combination of factors have been attributed to growth, including a strong showing from Red Bull and home grown hero Daniel Ricciardo in pre-season testing
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/03/18...st-agp-decade/
Old 19 Mar 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3809067)   #1390
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It helps that Sunday general admission tickets have actually dropped from $99 to $89 over the past 9 years - bravo Aus GP!
Old 19 Mar 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3809068)   #1391
S griffin
Veteran

Well it seems they are getting with reality down under
Old 19 Mar 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3809125)   #1392
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think its fair to say we always knew there was going to be a bigger backlash from the HALO as the first GP approached and when the story moved from specialty sites to that of the local sites/papers.

this narrative of refunds is pretty similar to what happened when the new far more quieter engines came into play...throughout the season there will be stories of those 'surprised' and 'offended' by it and these stories will no doubt have quotes from fans avowing up and down how they will never attend a GP again.

par for the course imo.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3809137)   #1393
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So thats £65 as a direct UK conversion?

How much is Sunday entry at Silverstone? £165?
Old 19 Mar 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3809147)   #1394
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So thats £65 as a direct UK conversion?

How much is Sunday entry at Silverstone? £165?
General admission, adult, 3 day - £185; Friday only £75, Saturday only £95, Sunday only £165. Cheapest grandstand seat for Sunday £235.

The 3 day & 4 day tickets are pound:dollar equivalent.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3809161)   #1395
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I struggle to think that the tickets would have been bought before knowing about the Halo as well.
There are deals on tickets that are bought very soon after the previous year's AGP - the people that the poster referred to may well have bought their tickets in April 2017, which I think was before halo was confirmed.

Quote:
F1 fans, who are in Melbourne this far in advance of the race, and have purchased tickets - are finding out about the Halo for the first time? Then, having found out about this one change, are disappointed so much that they are asking for a refund?

Have these people been living under a rock for the last few months? If genuine - then there is truly 'nowt as queer.....
Well of course there ARE people who live in Melbourne so they'd clearly be in Melbourne this far in advance of the race. As mentioned above they could have bought tickets a year ago and for all we know may have been asking for refunds for some time.

Personally, I don't like the halo but if I was in Melbourne and had a ticket I'd probably still go to see what it's like with the halo "live" and then make a decision on whether I'd bother with tickets for 2019.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3809162)   #1396
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This really baffles me.

This seems odd to me as well. I wouldn't say the number of those asking for a refund is zero, but I would be shocked if it is much larger than that?

Quote:
People not knowing doesn't shock me at all. I would even go as far as to say I suspect a majority of fans know little or nothing about the Halo device.

Richard
Old 19 Mar 2018, 19:02 (Ref:3809167)   #1397
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
There are deals on tickets that are bought very soon after the previous year's AGP - the people that the poster referred to may well have bought their tickets in April 2017, which I think was before halo was confirmed.

Well of course there ARE people who live in Melbourne so they'd clearly be in Melbourne this far in advance of the race. As mentioned above they could have bought tickets a year ago and for all we know may have been asking for refunds for some time.
I don't doubt that some people are asking for refunds - that is always the case with any change that is made to something. My disbelief though is the quantifying of this as 'A lot of F1 fans have cancelled and/or asking for a refund'

What constitutes 'A lot' compared to just a few voices?

Is the Halo popular - apparently not.
Are people complaining about it - almost certainly.
Are a handful of people claiming a refund - probably.
Will it change anything - absolutely not.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3809189)   #1398
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

What constitutes 'A lot' compared to just a few voices?
no idea, F1Guy might be able to shine some light on that. Given that the event draws around 400K attendance, even what you & I consider to be “a lot” might not show up as a big change.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3809487)   #1399
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People are asking for refunds because of the halo?

Old 21 Mar 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3809567)   #1400
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO when the general public, as opposed to the petrolheads here, catch sight of the 2018 cars with the Halo appendage for the first time it will tip the balance once for all with regard to viewing figures. Whatever side of the fence you fall there is absolutely no doubt that it is worst abomination aesthetically since F1 first began, only Formula E cars look(and sound) worse and unless something is done very quickly to address the situation it will bring about the final demise.