Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3792697)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Mention of F1 drivers doing F2/F3 reminds me of the whole controversy of Nelson Piquet Jr not being allowed to compete in an Euro F3 race a couple of seasons ago. Surely that would have been a good benchmark for young drivers? Wasn't it Clark or Hill who discovered Rindt by competing against him in an F2 race in Crystal Palace? I know Hunt discovered Villeneuve by competing against him at Trois Riveres in F.Atlantic
Rindt surprised us all that day, a great race to watch.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3792698)   #27
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm a little out of touch the details of single seater racing, but are F1 drivers allowed to race F2 now days?
Old 14 Jan 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3792699)   #28
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm a little out of touch the details of single seater racing, but are F1 drivers allowed to race F2 now days?
Pantano is one who I know was in GP2 (now referred to as F2) and also F3000 prior to GP2, before making it to F1 for Jordan from GP2 in about 2004. He was replaced by Glock before the year was out and returned to GP2 in 2005, finally becoming GP2 Champion in 2008. A return to F1 was not forthcoming.

Your question maybe can a driver run in F1 and F2 concurrently as in the days gone. As the F2 races are generally support to F1, the rulings of F1 drivers not being allowed to compete in another category within 24 hours would preclude them. My belief anyway.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3792966)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
F1 Drivers Moonlighting

Unless they’ve changed the rule, drivers who are competing in F1 on a given weekend aren’t allowed to compete in another category that weekend
Old 17 Jan 2018, 01:55 (Ref:3793235)   #30
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Unless they’ve changed the rule, drivers who are competing in F1 on a given weekend aren’t allowed to compete in another category that weekend
Didn't that rule vanish when pro-cars were introduced?
Old 17 Jan 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3793289)   #31
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Didn't that rule vanish when pro-cars were introduced?
I believe that the Procar races were all held on a Saturday, with qualy on Friday... the race on Saturday was to give GP drivers the requisite 24 hour gap between taking part in different categories racing.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3793371)   #32
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The last double dipping of F1 drivers at a GP weekend would probably have been the wonderful BMW Procar series in 79/80. They ran BMW M1's as a one make series as a GP support category with predominantly F1 drivers of the era in the entry, in I believe just European rounds
Think you will find that Phillipe Adams drove in a Belcar race and the Belgian GP at Spa in 1994, The Belcar race was on the Saturday where he drove a BMW & then on the Sunday he drove the Lotus 109.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3793393)   #33
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Think you will find that Phillipe Adams drove in a Belcar race and the Belgian GP at Spa in 1994, The Belcar race was on the Saturday where he drove a BMW & then on the Sunday he drove the Lotus 109.
I have heard it said that the non-arrival of his seat purchase funding was what precipitated the final demise of Lotus.No idea how Belcar was funded or if it paid him.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3794379)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you're an F1 fan who is planning on watching Daytona, then this is worth a read.

http://theracingline.net/2018/imsa/w...tona-24-hours/

Live stream for most of the world will be available (free and legal), and we'll have live timing all weekend too.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3794387)   #35
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
If you're an F1 fan who is planning on watching Daytona, then this is worth a read.

Live stream for most of the world will be available (free and legal), and we'll have live timing all weekend too.
Thanks. Much appreciated. Great intro. I will tune in as much as I can during the event.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 06:39 (Ref:3794660)   #36
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Thanks Akroprovic, will try and watch some of this.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3794756)   #37
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
No problem, that's what the guide is for!

For those with absolutely no knowledge of sportscar racing, and don't know where to start watching, here's everything you need.

http://theracingline.net/2018/imsa/w...ona-resources/

Timetable, entry lists, spotter guides, live timing, streaming details, videos, news, previews, etc.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3794777)   #38
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
or you know, you can potter over to the forum on tenths that does exactly the same thing but with a bit of discourse as well
Old 24 Jan 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3794785)   #39
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Well.. You can (and should) potter over to the sportscar forum, but it's clear even from the opening post here that many are not. Not all opening posts are as good as Matts, but you'll still need to go and find a non-American stream, live timing and time zone information, so not quite exactly the same thing.

Delete if it's considered spam, but it's without a doubt useful for those not familiar with sportscars (we are a niche bunch after all!), especially those watching for the Alonso factor.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 24 Jan 2018 at 18:29.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3794917)   #40
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
or you know, you can potter over to the forum on tenths that does exactly the same thing but with a bit of discourse as well
... and get suspended for an analysis that someone doesn't like, no thanks!

I'll stick to the F1 Forum!
Old 27 Jan 2018, 00:47 (Ref:3795345)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... Mr Norris isn’t in F1 just yet.. but he is/was on that trajectory.. however after the comments Here about Mr Brown’s car/team setup... is it still likely?

No negative crap like this from the primary driver Mr Alonso I notice..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jan 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3795376)   #42
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Being as Mr B will get a dividend if Lando gets in F1, I doubt it will do too much harm
Old 27 Jan 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3795379)   #43
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
He's not wrong regarding the aero kit. The oreca was significantly better last year, especially using the standard kit but in low drag setup. The updated Ligier doesn't appear to have closed the gap.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3796647)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so i got out of my comfort zone and watched a couple of hours of the free live feed of the 24. all be it i watched in small chucks at a time...20-30 min here and there kind of thing.

certainly the actual racing was enjoyable but i found the quality of the live stream, lack of on screen graphics and the commentating made it more confusing then it should have been. in some ways i felt i was watching a broadcast from the 90's.

obviously there is a lot more to keep track of but i felt that more often then not this was not solely down to my lack of knowledge as the announcers were often struggling to match their comments to the actual cars/images on screen (which could easily be a function of having to fill up 24 hours with talking).

but then there was the lack of resolution and bandwidth of the live feed. while it was ok on my mobile, casting it to my TV screen was not good.

maybe not the the right thread for this point, but while i enjoyed just watching racing and not really caring about who was in what car (a new world to discover) but there was a noticeable lack of broadcasting polish which i have come to expect not just from F1 but all sports i watch which happen to be behind a pay wall.

definitely spoiled in terms of picture quality so without a proper HD stream/feed it struggled to hold interest.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 17:42 (Ref:3796666)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Fred is now saying Le Mans chances have gone from 50-50 to 60-40, so fingers crossed
Old 29 Jan 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3796667)   #46
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
certainly the actual racing was enjoyable but i found the quality of the live stream, lack of on screen graphics and the commentating made it more confusing then it should have been. in some ways i felt i was watching a broadcast from the 90's.
I don't do this myself, but I think many of the hardcore fans will watch whatever they can with respect to video (TV, Streaming and even per-car streaming that might be done by some teams... sometimes on multiple devices at the same time), plus timing and scoring (there were a few options during that race) and finally match all of those visuals up with audio from Radio LeMans folks (more consistent and knowledgeable commentators).

Granted, that is a lot of work to create the best experience available today. But for endurance racing it can give you unique perspectives. For example just being able to watch one car for an extended period of time is interesting. Data extracted from T&S also a factor in understanding what is going on.

Two good examples of running along just with Alonso...

(first stint - start of race)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Ek6c9rExg

(night to day transition stint - I believe Alonso called out in one interview as being memorable/enjoyable)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrZZ6q7M2Cg

Richard
Old 29 Jan 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3796670)   #47
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so i got out of my comfort zone and watched a couple of hours of the free live feed of the 24. all be it i watched in small chucks at a time...20-30 min here and there kind of thing.

obviously there is a lot more to keep track of but i felt that more often then not this was not solely down to my lack of knowledge as the announcers were often struggling to match their comments to the actual cars/images on screen (which could easily be a function of having to fill up 24 hours with talking).

but then there was the lack of resolution and bandwidth of the live feed. while it was ok on my mobile, casting it to my TV screen was not good.

maybe not the the right thread for this point, but while i enjoyed just watching racing and not really caring about who was in what car (a new world to discover) but there was a noticeable lack of broadcasting polish which i have come to expect not just from F1 but all sports i watch which happen to be behind a pay wall.

definitely spoiled in terms of picture quality so without a proper HD stream/feed it struggled to hold interest.
The IMSA international stream is a bit of a hybrid job. Fox control the cameras, whilst Radio Le Mans control the audio (IMSA Radio is produced by Radio Show Limited, which is RLM). So when Fox goes to TV ads, we just get left with onboard cameras. Or Fox could be deciding to watch the lead prototype doing nothing but lapping on its own, whilst there's a great battle in the GTLM or GTD class, which RLM is commentating on.

The stream quality this year was abysmal. The fact it even worked for you is a miracle. It's been slow and buffering all weekend.

Generally, IMSA concentrates on the American TV and the rest of the world gets the international stream which is a compromise. But I much prefer the RLM commentators over FOX.

Oh and believe it or not, those graphics are better than last year. They used to have the P and GTLM classes both shown in red, and PC and GTD classes shown in green. Now it's silver for P, red for GTLM and green for GTD.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 19:03 (Ref:3796682)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

That footage of Fred round Daytona certainly wasn’t dull
Old 29 Jan 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3796691)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OT

Quote:

The stream quality this year was abysmal. The fact it even worked for you is a miracle. It's been slow and buffering all weekend.
The streaming from the IMSA app was perfect for me. Picture was great quality. The usual handful of seconds at low quality while it buffers then brilliant.

I estimate that I had this on for 16 of the 24 hours. 8 of them streaming to the telly (via phone or pad). 6 on a pad in the garage and 2 only listening to IMSA radio while my kid was at rugby. I only remember it cutting out once, if you ignore the time I carried it to the garage!

The app did have a little bug. Sometimes when on the summary screen where you could chose lots of different on boards the main picture would show the top left quarter rather than shrinking the picture to quarter of the size.

Seriously, it was brilliant for me. Loved it. During the race I was joking with our American friends that if they want the best coverage of their sports they need to come over to the UK.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3796692)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good point there...when i was casting, i was either casting/screen mirroring from my laptop to my TV or using the my phone's web browser to watch the video.

i probably would have experienced much better picture quality/higher resolution if i was actually viewing through their app???