Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 May 2017, 22:26 (Ref:3732890)   #1526
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well me and my old truck made it to Most . Wow what a circuit. Just walked the track now guess what ."yep changing gears "
No idea what it's like, only been to Brno and that was a long time ago before Most was built !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 May 2017, 06:13 (Ref:3732917)   #1527
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I am, and am not, looking forward to October- first is a drive to the Hungaroring and back. Later in in the month, it's Paul Ricard, then drive straight to Portimao for the following w/end, and return after that........

But I do get to race in Portugal.
Old 12 May 2017, 07:33 (Ref:3732924)   #1528
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I am, and am not, looking forward to October- first is a drive to the Hungaroring and back. Later in in the month, it's Paul Ricard, then drive straight to Portimao for the following w/end, and return after that........

Sounds insane! Longest jaunt for me was in '88 down to Estoril for the GP and then Jerez the following weekend(the Portuguese and Spanish F1 races were only a week apart), then back up through Seville/Madrid and the Pyrenees and France to Calais. I think I clocked 2500 miles on that trip but then I guess age wasn't a problem back then! You guys on here are obviously a lot hardier - bon journee
Old 12 May 2017, 07:39 (Ref:3732926)   #1529
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Just think of all the Yorkie bars you'll get through...!!
Old 12 May 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3732950)   #1530
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Just think of all the Yorkie bars you'll get through...!!
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that Yorkie bars have been banned in France - or will be by October.

A large fine for being caught in possession of a bar, doubled if you are British due to revised French exchange rate calculations due to Brexit.

That said since the size of a bar has about halved since their launch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkie_(chocolate_bar)

the original image of solid chunkiness must have given way to a much more gender fluid position suitable for the times in which seem to live. This would likely be more in keeping with Nestlé's corporate self image compared to Rowntree's.

I note they were once made in Norwich as well as York.
Old 12 May 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3732953)   #1531
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Norwich bar? Doesn't quite fit the image,
Old 12 May 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3732956)   #1532
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that Yorkie bars have been banned in France - or will be by October.

A large fine for being caught in possession of a bar, doubled if you are British due to revised French exchange rate calculations due to Brexit.

That said since the size of a bar has about halved since their launch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkie_(chocolate_bar)

the original image of solid chunkiness must have given way to a much more gender fluid position suitable for the times in which seem to live. This would likely be more in keeping with Nestlé's corporate self image compared to Rowntree's.

I did wonder if Yorkie bars still existed - I haven't seen one for years! I guess advertising with a truckie cheerfully driving down the road clutching a Yorkie in one hand would be a bit non-PC in overly sensitive Britain these days. One could get obese AND run over a kiddy-winkle!

However, we still have chocolate with everything here in France, so there's no shortage. I've spotted a breakfast cereal called 'Fitness - with chocolate'.
Old 12 May 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3732957)   #1533
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Luckily my taste in chocco has matured over time, so if it's not at least 70% plus pure choc I'm not interested.....

Correct about Rowntree Mackintosh (as they were) having a factory in Norwich many years ago. When I worked in the city centre, if the wind blew from one direction, you smelled chocolate all day. If it blew from another, you could smell the brewery just down the road!

Happy days
Old 12 May 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3732959)   #1534
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Luckily my taste in chocco has matured over time, so if it's not at least 70% plus pure choc I'm not interested.....

Correct about Rowntree Mackintosh (as they were) having a factory in Norwich many years ago. When I worked in the city centre, if the wind blew from one direction, you smelled chocolate all day. If it blew from another, you could smell the brewery just down the road!

Happy days
So it was a heady mix of Watney's Red Barrel & Rollo's! Or was it Steward & Patterson in those days?

Of course, when the cattle market was between the two it would have been an even more interesting mix of aromas!
Old 12 May 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3732974)   #1535
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
So it was a heady mix of Watney's Red Barrel & Rollo's! Or was it Steward & Patterson in those days?

Of course, when the cattle market was between the two it would have been an even more interesting mix of aromas!
No, not S&P. They were a bit further from the centre. Can't remember the Brewery name but it was one of the major ones. Situated next to Delves Mountergate Vauxhall dealership- that became Tricentrol before all the motor trade vacated the city centre.....

The cattle market was of course very much working 'when I were a lad' but by the time I was employed in the city had become car parks. Famous for 'Zaks' burger caravan in the corner......
Old 12 May 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3732977)   #1536
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
No, not S&P. They were a bit further from the centre. Can't remember the Brewery name but it was one of the major ones. Situated next to Delves Mountergate Vauxhall dealership- that became Tricentrol before all the motor trade vacated the city centre.....

The cattle market was of course very much working 'when I were a lad' but by the time I was employed in the city had become car parks. Famous for 'Zaks' burger caravan in the corner......
It was Watney's I think, in Rose Lane or thereabouts. Rose Lane is I believe equally well-known for other activities...

There certainly were a lot of dealerships down there, starting with Mann Egerton at the top of Prince of Wales Road, working down to Kennings & Norwich Motor Company at the bottom, with Delves just off.

I vaguely remember Zak's but was more familiar with Captain America's in Exchange Street, set-up by an ex-Lotus friend long before McDonald's came on the scene.
Old 12 May 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3732984)   #1537
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It was Watney's I think, in Rose Lane or thereabouts. Rose Lane is I believe equally well-known for other activities...

There certainly were a lot of dealerships down there, starting with Mann Egerton at the top of Prince of Wales Road, working down to Kennings & Norwich Motor Company at the bottom, with Delves just off.

I vaguely remember Zak's but was more familiar with Captain America's in Exchange Street, set-up by an ex-Lotus friend long before McDonald's came on the scene.
I was at Mann Eg in Rose Lane. Yes, Mountergate off that street. We used to see some sights walking up and down before Ber Street became the favoured location.... Our Ford dealership (Nunns) was not far away in Surrey St, and neither was the other one- Busseys. (Still going elsewhere.) Captain A's still going and very much unchanged last time I was there. The cocktails in the bar above were the stuff of legends! Didn't the original owner sadly lose his life in an Elan?
Old 12 May 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3732989)   #1538
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
All you MX-5 enthusiasts might be interested to know that a classic Mazda museum is opening in Augsburg, Germany, tomorrow.

It has been created by the local Mazda dealership, Auto Frey, with support from Mazda. Frey's have a collection of 120 cars but the museum will see 45 cars on display (regularly rotated - pun not intended!) in a re-furbished tram depot that dates from 1897. There will also be a restaurant, shop & events area.
Old 12 May 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3732992)   #1539
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I was at Mann Eg in Rose Lane. Yes, Mountergate off that street. We used to see some sights walking up and down before Ber Street became the favoured location.... Our Ford dealership (Nunns) was not far away in Surrey St, and neither was the other one- Busseys. (Still going elsewhere.) Captain A's still going and very much unchanged last time I was there. The cocktails in the bar above were the stuff of legends! Didn't the original owner sadly lose his life in an Elan?
Yes, Mike Howell did indeed lose his life in an Elan, somewhere between Norwich & Yarmouth, I forget exactly where. He swerved to avoid an elderly driver who pulled out of a side turning in front of him & unfortunately a tipper truck came round the corner at the wrong moment...
Old 12 May 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3733002)   #1540
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
It's amazing how many big dealerships Norwich had back in the day. Do you remember Boshier's, also BMC, on Chapelfield Road? I still have a giant three-sided Boshier pencil - it'll never wear out! Mr Boshier was something senior at Snetterton & had an R-R Silver Cloud, reg SJB 1.
Old 12 May 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3733008)   #1541
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's amazing how many big dealerships Norwich had back in the day. Do you remember Boshier's, also BMC, on Chapelfield Road? I still have a giant three-sided Boshier pencil - it'll never wear out! Mr Boshier was something senior at Snetterton & had an R-R Silver Cloud, reg SJB 1.
My late Dad was a good friend and customer of Boshier's. Originally from memory 'Boshier & Pattenden'. The latter raced, and yes Stan Boshier was involved with Snetterton in the early days. Dad bought his Connaught L2 from them (MPH998, one of the 4 original 'works' cars), followed by a couple of Renaults (4CV and Fregate) as the family grew up.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 12 May 2017 at 15:34. Reason: addition
Old 12 May 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3733027)   #1542
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, was your dad satisfied with his Fregate? OK a lot of room everywhere. Inside for the whole family and under the bonnet for another engine! Even the Etendard version was week compared to the cornering abilities of this good chassis.
Old 12 May 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3733032)   #1543
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, was your dad satisfied with his Fregate? OK a lot of room everywhere. Inside for the whole family and under the bonnet for another engine! Even the Etendard version was week compared to the cornering abilities of this good chassis.
It rusted- but what didn't in those days! He always boasted about the independent rear suspension and that it out cornered his mate's Jag Mk1 when they were 'convoying' to Snetterton....

When the body got shabby he had the car repainted from the original blue to British Racing Green. Apologies!

I've still got the original sales brochure for the car....
Old 12 May 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3733047)   #1544
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi everybody, ain't it fascinating to read all these 'precious memories' of our esteemed colleagues as they wander down Memory Lane (somewhere in Norwich I expect). Oh! Such happy days they all seem to have enjoyed based on their reminiscences living in one of the more obscure regions of the UK.

Let's have more chaps absolutely fascinating, I can hardly wait for the next batch of stories from your childhood days.

Now did I ever tell you about the Hillman ........................
Old 12 May 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3733051)   #1545
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Bob, you tease!

Don't keep us in suspense - what an Imp you are!

I think it's the first time anyone has mentioned a Hillman.
Old 12 May 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3733057)   #1546
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Blame Grant- he mentioned Norwich!

Feel free to post some of your own 'precious memories' Bob. I look forward to the opportunity to respond in an appropriate fashion......
Old 12 May 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3733061)   #1547
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Hi everybody, ain't it fascinating to read all these 'precious memories' of our esteemed colleagues as they wander down Memory Lane (somewhere in Norwich I expect). Oh! Such happy days they all seem to have enjoyed based on their reminiscences living in one of the more obscure regions of the UK.

Let's have more chaps absolutely fascinating, I can hardly wait for the next batch of stories from your childhood days.

Having officially reached old age today I feel entitled to reflect on the past a little bit. After all, you've been doing it for decades!

Norwich is a Fine City (it says so on the signposts) & historically is one of the most important in the land

Oh, and as a Freeman of the City I should be proud of it.

Did you buy your Hillman from Norwich Motor Co. by any chance??
Old 12 May 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3733064)   #1548
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Say what you like about them, they are still a JAP car, but you have to have to have lived through a war to understand.

Many years ago I worked for a Jewish boss who, quite understandably, refused to contemplate driving a Mercedes or BMW..........he was however inordinately proud of his Mk2 "Ford Granada Ghia 2.8".........I didn't have the heart to tell him where they were made.......
Old 12 May 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3733065)   #1549
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Any ageing rockers out there bbc4 9pm tonight.
Old 12 May 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3733074)   #1550
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Our Ford dealership (Nunns) was not far away in Surrey St, and neither was the other one- Busseys. (Still going elsewhere.)
One of the Manchester Ford Agents back in the 50s and 60s was Nunns - a courtesy uncle worked there as their chief diagnostic tester - as a car-mad youth I thought it was great to get the inside track whenever a new car was issued....as well as hearing tales such as when the Police got Mk1 3.0 Capris and came back complaining that they got a bit unstable at 120+, and similarly were prone to violent brake judder when slowing from those speeds........My uncle asked how he was supposed to test them for that.......and they told him to take off the cover that was routinely fitted over the roof-mounted Police sign and siren whilst in for service, and no-one would bother him...... He wasn't convinced