Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Oct 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3467175)   #101
Nortad
Rookie

Nortad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys.

Sorry to ressurect this thread from the dead, but I been reading it has I just bought a 75 to convert to the track and Id like to give my 2 cents about it

Part of the problem with the 75s lack of pace compared to the rest of the field was that it wasnt a new car, because the cash strapped Alfa Romeo couldnt afford a completely new car or a heavy investment in its racing programme and so its nothing but a rebody of its predecessor, the 1977 Giulietta, and the mechanical layout isnt what we would call ideal to face the M3 and the Sierra RS500

From 1987 till 1991 the car changed massively: hubs, displacement on turbo engined cars, rear outboard brakes instead of inboard, suspension design was miles apart, etc... and because of those changes, later in life it became a front runner in the Italian Superturismo, when Alfa Romeo was already in bed with Fiat and could spend a bit more
Old 25 Oct 2014, 20:35 (Ref:3468383)   #102
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by malscar View Post
Here are a few more shots I found of Bondy's car. Also cfound one of the Alfa 33 that ran the two WTCC rounds in Aust and for chunterer, the Gemini he was asking about(is there a Gemini thread?
Is Malscar still about? I own the ex John White Gemini he was talking about, owned in 1987 by David Sala. Pics of my car when owned by him are very thin on the ground so I'd love to see what he has!
Old 27 Oct 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3468998)   #103
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over on the Biante forum, there's a very large thread called "Old Race Car Photos". Most of his collection is in there.
Old 8 May 2015, 16:39 (Ref:3535557)   #104
AlexandrePT
Rookie

AlexandrePT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the portuguese Alfa 75, driven by Rufino Fontes, it still exists and still features its 1987 livery. It's owned by Fabrica Italiana - TRSport, a portuguese tuner.

This car started life in 1986, as 2.5 V6 Alfa Corse car, and was the development mule for the 1.8 turbo engine for 1987.

Rufino Fontes, who was linked to Alfa Romeo for several years, bought it for the 1987 season, to replace the Imberti GTV6 he had been racing in previous years.

That year, there were two brand new Schnitzer M3 for Petiz and Pequepe, plus the ageing but still competitive Volvo 240 Turbo of António Rodrigues and Artur Mendes, and BMW 635 CSI of Manuel Fernandes and Carlos Rodrigues. It was the best line up we had for years.

Infortunately for Rufino Fontes, the Alfa 75 was never competitive. In his words, the car was fast for a couple of laps but then it seems to melt and the power and handling faded away.

Here in the grid of Vila do Conde street circuit:

Nevertheless, the car won the last race of 1987, in Estoril. It was an 3h endurance race, extra championship. That was the cars' last race...

I found the car in 2006 and Tomé Coelho, from Fabrica Italiana bought it. It was shown in the Alfanord stand at Interclassico, in October 2006.

exponor2006 007 (Small) by Alexandre Nogueira da Silva, on Flickr

exponor2006 001 (Small) by Alexandre Nogueira da Silva, on Flickr

The car in now displayed at Fabrica Italiana, along the only one DRM Alfetta GTV Turbo and the Kispo livery Luigi GTV6, the car that took Rufino Fontes to the 1983 portuguese crown!
Old 9 May 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3535925)   #105
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thankyou for this information, very very interesting.

Do the car's owners have any intention to bring them out to race again in future?

After all there are now at least 2 series around Europe that will cater for Group A machinery....
Old 9 May 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3535943)   #106
AlexandrePT
Rookie

If someone shows interest in racing the 75, I believe that can be possible, but he's a tuner, not a racer or a driver.

Here in Portugal, we have a new championship, with gr. A cars from '82 till '99, where I'm racing my Integra DC2. This would be perfect for this car...

There's a couple of RS500 and an M3 E30, so it suited the Alfa! Problem is here everyone with deep enough pockets to race these cars are only interested in winning cars and the Alfa 75 can't match the Ford or the BMW...
Old 11 May 2015, 10:30 (Ref:3536398)   #107
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandrePT View Post
If someone shows interest in racing the 75, I believe that can be possible, but he's a tuner, not a racer or a driver.

Here in Portugal, we have a new championship, with gr. A cars from '82 till '99, where I'm racing my Integra DC2. This would be perfect for this car...

There's a couple of RS500 and an M3 E30, so it suited the Alfa! Problem is here everyone with deep enough pockets to race these cars are only interested in winning cars and the Alfa 75 can't match the Ford or the BMW...
This is becoming a big potential problem with series catering for these cars, which is why there needs to be sensible breaks in the permitted years for the cars.

I.E
1982-86 (pre homologation specials! which was the true spirit of Group A)
1987-92 (M3, Sierra, R32 etc)

I also reckon he might be better off finding a 2.5 V6 engine and running the 75 in that spec rather than with the Turbo (likely a lot less expensive as well!)
Old 11 May 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3536468)   #108
AlexandrePT
Rookie

We have H85, H90 and H99, but all categories race together.
Although we've got different podiums for each "age", the guys always care for the overall!!
Old 22 Mar 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3720754)   #109
HarrisonKirby
Rookie

HarrisonKirby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Just found this pic on Flickr- I'm guessing this is the Brands shunt for the Kirby car!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hard_dr...7629435991339/
Just thought everyone would be interested to know,

I showed my dad this picture of his 75. He had never seen a picture of this incident and he can still remember the impact! We still have the very bent steering wheel and apparently the shells being restored!
Old 8 Sep 2017, 10:18 (Ref:3765375)   #110
Carlo2017
Rookie

Carlo2017 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please help
Can you help me to find out where this car was race ?
Please
Alfa Romeo Corsa 75 Turbo ex Larini ? chassis 010
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

5.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 8 Sep 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3765442)   #111
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo2017 View Post
Please help
Please
Very nice!

That looks like CIVT contender from the 80-92 period?
Old 13 Sep 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3766491)   #112
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It is nice, and at this very moment sitting on the back of a small truck behind the F1 boxes at Spa!
Old 12 Nov 2017, 23:21 (Ref:3780109)   #113
Alfafanatic
Rookie

Alfafanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo2017 View Post
Please help
Please
Interesting question, what this car is? Alfa Corse it aint. Alfa Corse chassis 16158 AC 010 is different car. There is "ar-10" stamped in left fender? So that is Jolly club number?
Old 31 Mar 2020, 20:30 (Ref:3967886)   #114
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkerb View Post
both cars are still together , the kirby car having never been repaired from its brands hatch accident,the dooley car is almost a complete car ,the kirby car not so complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmicky View Post
the salmon can 75,s will run again may take a little time but they will stay together as they have been adopted by someone who is totally and i mean totally dedicated to the alfa cause and history,wont become a hotrods or be split up.the dooley car is in great shape if a little tired and the kirby car is headed for a top body jigging outfit to have the front corner repaired and will appear with its sister car as and when the time is right in the future.
Just wondering whatever happened to these plans?! Would love to find out, and see the cars again; anyone know?
Old 3 Apr 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3968455)   #115
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Just wondering whatever happened to these plans?! Would love to find out, and see the cars again; anyone know?

I think this article from a couple of years ago gives some update....I'm sure I've seen something more recent but can't find it just now!

https://alfaracer.com/friday-fix-issue-65/
Old 3 Apr 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3968470)   #116
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I think this article from a couple of years ago gives some update....I'm sure I've seen something more recent but can't find it just now!

https://alfaracer.com/friday-fix-issue-65/
Good stuff, Richard. They obviously missed the 2019 date referenced in the article but at least something seems to be happening.
It would be good to see them all on track again.