Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Apr 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3531266)   #76
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you make the majority of the car out of carbon fiber, a fire system is not going to put it out. I looked at the Cadillac at CoTA and even though the chassis is made of steel, just about everything else is made out of carbon fiber. The resin in that stuff burns no matter what fire system you have. If that McLaren catches fire, better get a hot dog vendor out there.

As for the live feed. If you are going to have companies sponsor it (which they run TV type ads on it) then make sure it works. They are paying to get their name out there and thus we get it for free. If not, tell the sponsors to go away and charge a fee to subscribe. I would think, plenty would sign up for that right away. I know I would (as long as it's reliable). The V8 Supercar feed I get works like a champ on my TV with great resolution all for $40/season. Plus it comes from the other side of the world.

The GTS races were really good though.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3531276)   #77
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Isn't that what pretty much every series does?
I'm not sure I agree with it either, but I think that the reasoning has to do with press releases having already gone out etc.
Failing post-race scrutineering will disqualify you from anything outside of NASCAR, (since 2013-) IMSA, SCCA and probably IndyCar.

How many FIA GT races in particular did I watch when the overall winner failed post tech by the most minimal of margins and lost the win and all the points... not to even mention the amount of lower placed cars. It's harsh, but the right thing to do and keeps the jokers at bay.

Last edited by Deleted; 27 Apr 2015 at 19:54.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 20:41 (Ref:3531292)   #78
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Failing post-race scrutineering will disqualify you from anything outside of NASCAR, (since 2013-) IMSA, SCCA and probably IndyCar.

How many FIA GT races in particular did I watch when the overall winner failed post tech by the most minimal of margins and lost the win and all the points... not to even mention the amount of lower placed cars. It's harsh, but the right thing to do and keeps the jokers at bay.
That just gave me an idea to attract sponsors - make your car illegal and fast to guarantee you get airtime at the front. and if they let you keep the win but not the points you still sell the number of wins to the sponsor!
Old 27 Apr 2015, 20:44 (Ref:3531294)   #79
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yup :P

And if you end up winning one of the big races like Sebring with your fraud of a car, who even cares of points
Old 28 Apr 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3531339)   #80
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course you wouldn't win a lot of friends in the paddock that way, but hey you get a picture spraying champagne!
Old 28 Apr 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3531480)   #81
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be interesting to know what was actually illegal .
Old 28 Apr 2015, 18:31 (Ref:3531560)   #82
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I had a good view of it. When Johnny rolled in the turn 5 gravel trap,
the car looked to be about 30-40% fully involved. He got out and rolled
on the gravel to put out any flames on his suit. I think he made an
attempt to open a door to maybe try and pull a fire ext. system but
it was too involved and hot. Then he looked for the fire crew and they
were in route at which he went and kneeled down while the flames grew
higher and larger. After a few minutes it seemed like, the fire crew got there and put at least 5 or 6 bottles on it. With flames still going,
a water truck got there and they hosed it down. Hope Johnny O is
ok!
He is.

http://sportscar365.com/features/com...ber-debrief-2/

Old 28 Apr 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3531573)   #83
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Be interesting to know what was actually illegal .
They were found to be running way too much boost.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3531580)   #84
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Oh, that's great to hear it from the horses mouth. He was able
to hit the extinguisher button. Interesting. Glad the wind
was blowing away from our stands!
Old 29 Apr 2015, 12:08 (Ref:3531772)   #85
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
They were found to be running way too much boost.
Thanks, that is pretty egregious, deserves a big penalty.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 14:08 (Ref:3531807)   #86
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoughts from the weekend http://nasportscar.com/arm-chair-rac...or-pwc-barber/
Old 29 Apr 2015, 16:12 (Ref:3531841)   #87
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Quite a dramatic picture!

Did I read somewhere (it could have been on sc365 for that matter!) that it did take minutes to put out the fire? Not saying it would have made a big difference but race series organizers and track officials should really look into having more highly trained and 'authorized-to-respond corner workers' on the spot (in addition to the driving safety teams) to allow a faster response on incidents like this.

And not a clue if the kill switch (would have) worked or could (have) be reached once the car came to a stop. From the pic and story it appears Johnny did not pull that switch (but I'm just guessing on that one). Anyone have more info on this?
Carbon burns quite happily once ignited. The only stuff that really does a good job in race chassis is Halon, but, that stuff has been banned for some time. Halotron is similar, but not nearly as good. FM-200 is fantastic, but will render you unconscious after a couple of breaths. It'll snuff a fire in under 10 seconds.

I think the point that many miss is that the fire protection system is to buy time until the driver gets out. It will rarely put out a fire on it's own.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Apr 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3532292)   #88
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Good stuff.
Old 2 May 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3533136)   #89
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a really cool highlight video. Lots of racing action!
http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...orts-park.html