Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 Dec 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3789508)   #51
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I'd be interested to know what grid girls do the rest of the time.
quite a few of the motorsport ones do it as a way of earning extra cash. others are indeed, professional promotional models. what are you getting at?

women are being used in our sport as decoration and lust objects for men to gawp at whether they make their living out of their appearance or not. i mean, other sports that use women in the same way include darts and boxing. haven't we gone past that kind of attitude in our sport now?
Old 28 Dec 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3789509)   #52
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Male models need to make money too. Why are we discriminating against them?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 02:16 (Ref:3789533)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
quite a few of the motorsport ones do it as a way of earning extra cash. others are indeed, professional promotional models. what are you getting at?

women are being used in our sport as decoration and lust objects for men to gawp at whether they make their living out of their appearance or not. i mean, other sports that use women in the same way include darts and boxing. haven't we gone past that kind of attitude in our sport now?
Women have been used in motorsport and the automotive industry as decoration, for as long as I can remember. It's a marketing gimmick, designed to make motorsport and cars sexy and exciting. "You buy this car and you too can attract a sexy girl like this one." "Motorsport is fast and exciting, look at all the girls it attracts."

With attitudes changing, I don't think this sort of marketing has the same relevance today as it used to and there seems to be less of it. I can't remember when I last saw a car advert, with a semi naked woman draped all over it. I see the continued use of grid-girls as a hangover from this mindset and I think it will be only a matter of time, before it is also realised that the continued use of grid-girls is becoming less relevant.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 05:12 (Ref:3789547)   #54
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To change, or expand on, the question a bit...

Is there a larger issue with the grid culture in general which needs to be modernized?

Rather if grid girls are meant to attract fans then why is there a lack of fans on the grid? Instead we get the old rich guys, politicians, celebs etc. By design its a tradition steeped in exclusion as opposed to a more inclusive culture that most people now days require... a sentiment which I suppose is at the heart of the grid girl debate?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3789556)   #55
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

|Do you really want a society where a pretty girl no longer turns male heads?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3789558)   #56
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
|Do you really want a society where a pretty girl no longer turns male heads?
There's a world of difference between turning a head and putting them around as props to look at.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3789581)   #57
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could see "Grand Prix" movie as a reflect on the grid girl debate...

Last edited by Mekola; 29 Dec 2017 at 12:36.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3789586)   #58
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
The part of f1 that is the most cringe worthy is not the grid girls, although they are, but the girls lining the stairs and halls the drivers walk up to that cool-down room before the podium. Those girls aren't there for fans or to market anything. Their sole existence is to basically look like "spoils" for the victors as they do nothing but cheer for ajd smile and laugh at whatever the drivers say. It's awkward and kinda creepy.

And to the exclusion point above, I guess for grid walks where fans can walk the grid before a race, grid girls make more sense than an f1 event. There, like said, is just old rich guys and organizers and celebrities, which just makes it look more like the girls are there as spoils for the elite/rich/powerful. And to channel Dennis from "its always sunny in Philadelphia", those girls might feel an "implication", more so than if it was regular fans walking around.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3789588)   #59
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The part of f1 that is the most cringe worthy is not the grid girls, although they are, but the girls lining the stairs and halls the drivers walk up to that cool-down room before the podium. Those girls aren't there for fans or to market anything. Their sole existence is to basically look like "spoils" for the victors as they do nothing but cheer for ajd smile and laugh at whatever the drivers say. It's awkward and kinda creepy.

And to the exclusion point above, I guess for grid walks where fans can walk the grid before a race, grid girls make more sense than an f1 event. There, like said, is just old rich guys and organizers and celebrities, which just makes it look more like the girls are there as spoils for the elite/rich/powerful. And to channel Dennis from "its always sunny in Philadelphia", those girls might feel an "implication", more so than if it was regular fans walking around.
I know what you mean about cringeworthy but they are there to market the glamour of F1.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3789591)   #60
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Is that what glamour is?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3789592)   #61
jp_olifer
Rookie

Portugal
jp_olifer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read the entire topic and I was surprised that no one mentioned the impact that grid girls have in attracting or repelling female fans to motorsport!
If we consider that the first product motorsport advertises are cars, women are big potential customers, purely from a marketing point of view...
Old 29 Dec 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3789593)   #62
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_olifer View Post
Just read the entire post and I was surprised that no one mentioned the impact that grid girls have in attracting or repelling female fans to motorsport! If we consider that the first product motorsport advertises are cars, women are big potential customers, purely from a marketing point of view...
Well, know a female marshal that is against the politics of the grid grils and is a hardcore feminist in motorsport - she manages a page about female racers in Spanish language.
Wonder if she could put her two cents on the matter...
Old 29 Dec 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3789608)   #63
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really bothered either way. Interested to know if anyone is forcing the girls to do the job.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3789653)   #64
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Male models need to make money too. Why are we discriminating against them?
I'd be all in favour of half-and-half grid girls and boys. Though I think we need to be realistic about the probable gender balance of motor racing fans.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3789656)   #65
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
I'd be all in favour of half-and-half grid girls and boys. Though I think we need to be realistic about the probable gender balance of motor racing fans.
Which is what WEC do (on the grid certainly, I don't know about the paddock). They also dress them all in white jeans and a dark blue T-shirt, with a small WEC logo on them. They are also limited to holding the nations flags at the front of the grid, not in front of each car.

However...if we were to introduce male grid boys onto the BTCC grid and dressed them in lycra...well, then there would suddenly be a lot less people who want that gender balance. It'd also demonstrate just how utterly ludicrous some of the outfits are.

But if we're going down the route of a 50/50 split and sensible clothes, then I'd still make it a fan competition.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3789660)   #66
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
we're not looking at 50-50 by any means, but there's an awful lot of low key f1 and motorsport fans who are young women, particularly who don't attend races. i'd go as far as saying that the groups of young women who meet up and watch f1 together at several grands prix is probably about equal to the groups of young men... hungary in particular has a HUGE following of young women.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3789944)   #67
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Not really bothered either way. Interested to know if anyone is forcing the girls to do the job.
Obviously they're not being forced. They are models 'doing their job.' The point is more is it really necessary to have a half naked girl there in the first place. I'd say no, I think it's demeaning and unnecessary.

By all means have people (and not just 'perfect' models) stand there if needs be but with clothes on. Like the halo, just stop doing it and people will get used to it. Surely we're there to watch the cars anyway, not leer at the dolly birds.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3789982)   #68
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't even aware they were still there, but I don't think you should cater to a minority that doesn't even show up to races that just might be offended. That's PC gone too far.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3789987)   #69
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The part of f1 that is the most cringe worthy is not the grid girls, although they are, but the girls lining the stairs and halls the drivers walk up to that cool-down room before the podium.

Those girls aren't there for fans or to market anything. Their sole existence is to basically look like "spoils" for the victors as they do nothing but cheer for ajd smile and laugh at whatever the drivers say. It's awkward and kinda creepy.
Those are very recent. Alonso didn't have them when he won championships with Renault.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3789995)   #70
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
I wasn't even aware they were still there, but I don't think you should cater to a minority that doesn't even show up to races that just might be offended. That's PC gone too far.
That makes the assumption that men can't be offended by it either.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3789997)   #71
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Obviously they're not being forced. They are models 'doing their job.' The point is more is it really necessary to have a half naked girl there in the first place. I'd say no, I think it's demeaning and unnecessary.

By all means have people (and not just 'perfect' models) stand there if needs be but with clothes on. Like the halo, just stop doing it and people will get used to it. Surely we're there to watch the cars anyway, not leer at the dolly birds.
To whom is it demeaning? And presumably the people/company behind it must feel it is necessary or they wouldn't pay for it. I, too, would be there to see the cars/racing and probably wouldn't notice if they were there or not. Surely folks don't pay top rank motorsport event prices just to leer!
Old 31 Dec 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3790014)   #72
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=morninggents;3789997]To whom is it demeaning? And presumably the people/company behind it must feel it is necessary or they wouldn't pay for it. I, too, would be there to see the cars/racing and probably wouldn't notice if they were there or not. Surely folks don't pay top rank motorsport event prices just to leer![/

Seriously? Stick male models out there in speedos and let's see the reaction. I bet you'd notice that...but it's no different.

The sponsors or their marketing depts obviously have a dim view of Motorsport if they think we need half naked body beautifuls to bolster the appeal.

I don't know, I can't work out if people are sitting on the fence or think it's ok for Motorsport to maintain archaic views that weren't right in the 70s let alone now.
Old 31 Dec 2017, 23:30 (Ref:3790027)   #73
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

the whole of motorsport is unnecessary so let's stop that too shall we.
It's bad for the planet, bad for the environment, bad for utilisation of precious energy resources, it endangers life, it offends and impinges on people who live near tracks etc etc.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 01:10 (Ref:3790051)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

It's a marketing hangover. I remember in my teens seeing car and bike adverts in magazines, with women being used to promote the product. Check this Esso ad out.

Old 1 Jan 2018, 02:35 (Ref:3790065)   #75
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
the whole of motorsport is unnecessary so let's stop that too shall we.
It's bad for the planet, bad for the environment, bad for utilisation of precious energy resources, it endangers life, it offends and impinges on people who live near tracks etc etc.
No, that's just a little silly.

It's not a about getting rid of something that is unnecessary but getting rid of something that is demeaning to women...and something I personally don't think is needed anymore in motorsport.
Closed Thread