Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 Jun 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3098897)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Getting media accreditation from circuits?

Hi there,

Can I just ask, what is involved in obtaining media accreditation for full access to racing circuits for events etc?

What are the costs involved, are there fees to pay etc?

Many thanks,

Ben.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3098911)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hey ben,

before the doom mongers and grumblers turn up...

firstly you need to have a letter of accreditation either from a publication, or a driver or team involved in the event. secondly, you need the form to fill in and send to the circuit you're looking to apply to for an event. both apply for either photographers or journalists. make sure you send it to the press officer at the circuit in good time, a couple of weeks before the event and with the supporting evidence if required.

there's no cost involved in the application but i believe if you're going trackside for photos there's often requirements for liability insurance nowadays. some of the other guys here should be able to help you out on that and whether there's short term cover available if you're only going to be covering one event. i believe it's been discussed somewhere on here in the past year or so, so a quick search should turn that thread up.

hope that helps a bit
Old 27 Jun 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3098922)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
hey ben,

before the doom mongers and grumblers turn up...

firstly you need to have a letter of accreditation either from a publication, or a driver or team involved in the event. secondly, you need the form to fill in and send to the circuit you're looking to apply to for an event. both apply for either photographers or journalists. make sure you send it to the press officer at the circuit in good time, a couple of weeks before the event and with the supporting evidence if required.

there's no cost involved in the application but i believe if you're going trackside for photos there's often requirements for liability insurance nowadays. some of the other guys here should be able to help you out on that and whether there's short term cover available if you're only going to be covering one event. i believe it's been discussed somewhere on here in the past year or so, so a quick search should turn that thread up.

hope that helps a bit
Thanks for the response Bella. The reason I ask is that I am thinking of setting up my own (small) photography site (with a heavy motorsport bias). Would that be enough to warrant media accreditation or does it have to be a big "fully commerical" venture?

Thanks for the info,

Ben.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3098931)   #4
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may work differently in the UK, but here in Australia Neither a large nor small commercial venture is really classified as "media". A commercial venture that is shooting for a publication or for a particular category however, is different kettle of fish.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 13:01 (Ref:3098941)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Thanks for the response Bella. The reason I ask is that I am thinking of setting up my own (small) photography site (with a heavy motorsport bias). Would that be enough to warrant media accreditation or does it have to be a big "fully commerical" venture?

Thanks for the info,

Ben.
alfacors is right to a point unfortunately. you're not going to get accreditation based on such a site, particularly since technically you can't sell your photos as a commercial venture without permission from the circuits. you need to be working directly for a driver, team or publication providing shots to them.

it's a slight grey area, and one you need to be well known and trusted by the relevant parties to exploit unfortunately. much like anything else to do with media it's about who you know, and who can help you get a foot on the ladder. you'll find that sites that do sell photos have come about more as a result of having clients and a media pass, plus a good rapport with the circuit rather than existed in that entity and gained accreditation based on that.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3098951)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The key word is media.

You need to be providing some sort of media outlet with your pictures, be that magazines, newspapers, websites etc. They will have to provide a letter etc. stating that you are working for them. Then the circuit or race organiser will decide whether you are worthy of accreditation.

Or you could try and work for an established photographer or agency, again it's up to the circuit to give you a pass.

When you are starting out, it's unlikely that anyone will give you media accreditation, just because you are a photographer. As you become established it can become easier, but you have to start at the bottom!
Old 27 Jun 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3098953)   #7
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You still need accreditation from the editor of a recognised newspaper, magazine or news outlet and proof of relevant published work from the past year.

Shooting for a driver or team doesn't work unless its a higher end series.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3098989)   #8
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add that by 'recognised media' it has, to paraphrase msa rules, be on sale, or available, to the 'general public' and be listed in one of 'BRAD's media or the ABC handbook, separate criteria apply for free newspapers, but they should have a VFD certificate, & in theory, a VFD circulation figure greater than 250,000 per issue. Separate rules apply for websites, but basically if the circuit think you will get them worthwhile coverage, and meet the criteria, you stand a chance of getting accredited. However you still have to produce published coverage to ensure you continue to be accepted.

Hope that helps.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3099195)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
My first ever accredited event was Tour Brittania, 2007. I was amazed to be offered, as I had NO history. But, I got one or two ther bits after that, then my son created his own on-line magazine, and after a year of that, I stepped out, and he's now flying. 3 years in, and FIA and WEC like him, and accredit him. BUT it's been a long uphill climb.

Me, I'm happy on teh paying side of the fence. It makes me think more!
Old 27 Jun 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3099212)   #10
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Thought Id offer my thoughts. They echo a lot of what's gone before but might give another perspective....

This time last year I went to my first race as accredited media, the British MotoGP. I had been writing for my local paper and didnt think that I had much chance to get a pass, it was more a "hit and hope" then anything else. But by having a body of published work it was sufficient to get accredited.

Basically the requirement for MotoGP, and most other series, is that you can offer proof of previous publication (usually five pieces of work) and have a letter from the editor of a paper saying that they will publish reports/pictures from race meetings. If you are a freelancer unfortunately however you generally need to have three publications willing to publish your work.

The best way to get your foot in the door is to try and get work with a local paper and use this to build a reputation. If, as another poster said, you start off looking to work exclusively as a photographer it is more difficult to get accredited than as a journalist. But the good thing is that if you get a media pass it will, by and large, give you track access in addition to paddock access.

As a result its well worth your while to start off writing and use this as an avenue to getting photographers work. At the very least it gives you an additional revenue stream for each race that you get to because the costs of going to races can add up pretty quickly.

Each series handles requests differently. For the likes of F1 you have to go through the series directly but for others, NASCAR for example, you get accredited by the individual tracks for each race.

One thing that I've found, as Tim said, is that once you start getting work published and getting accredited it's very easy to get passes to other events. From that first race for me I've managed to get to NASCAR, WEC and F1 races. Each series looks at media in the same light-can you offer us an avenue to promote our series.

If you're legit, and not just looking for a free race ticket!, you should be alright and get accredited.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3099333)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Many thanks for all the messages of advice. I might try the local paper, they always have pieces covering Matt Jackson (local lad) in the BTCC, so I might try that avenue.

Thanks again,

Ben.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3099391)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
One thing that I've found, as Tim said, is that once you start getting work published and getting accredited it's very easy to get passes to other events. From that first race for me I've managed to get to NASCAR, WEC and F1 races. Each series looks at media in the same light-can you offer us an avenue to promote our series.
frostie's post is a great one - not just for the op but for others looking to ask the same sort of question too. it is quite hard to get your foot in the door, but once it is there and you've got some quality work behind you it's far easier. not least because you're familiar with the ropes too
Old 29 Jun 2012, 06:44 (Ref:3099719)   #13
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSV require a letter from an Editor, proof of published work (a minimum of 2 samples in the last 12 months) plus £5 million in Public Liability Insurance. That might sound a lot but it costs me about £60 per year. As others say, once you are in the system and known it becomes easier.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3099981)   #14
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just ask who you get your £5m PLI from please Alan, due to renew mine next month.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3100147)   #15
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Can I just ask who you get your £5m PLI from please Alan, due to renew mine next month.
www.simplybusiness.co.uk - £62.54 Photographer excluding underwater and aerial.