Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Jan 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3498481)   #1
JakeO
Rookie

JakeO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Turbo Ford 1984

Hello all,

Does anybody have any information on Formula turbo ford from 1984? It has cropped up a few times in searches of FF2000 in the 1980's. All I can find is that there was a car that ran a few laps as a demonstration but it never took off. Was the car a standard Reynard SF84?

The reason for the curiosity is that I purchased a Reynard SF84 last year and have been restoring it to race this season. The chassis number is 84SFTF and there are additional air intakes and blisters on the bodywork where the turbo would have been that I haven't seen on other SF84 cars.

Not a great pedigree if it is the car I think it is but any information would be very interesting.

Cheers,

JakeO
Old 29 Jan 2015, 02:14 (Ref:3498524)   #2
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't confirm anything (being wikipedia), but on the Wikipedia page there is a Reynard 84FTF (no 'S') as being the single turbo model
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...otorsport_cars

I have to say, I think it is actually quite a cool little piece of history you have there. Still born models are quite often cooler and always more unique than the more successful variants.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 21:22 (Ref:3498884)   #3
JakeO
Rookie

Hi Mikuni, Yes that's what I found. It is likely that it could be the car but I just wondered if anybody had memories of the car running, would they recall what the differences were. I know I am asking a lot. The car only ran for a few laps according to wikipedia!!!
Old 29 Jan 2015, 21:28 (Ref:3498888)   #4
JakeO
Rookie

I have attached a photo. There is a subtle intake next to the airbox and an additional blister where the rear tail meets the main body panel.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0959.jpg  
Old 5 Feb 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3501340)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeO View Post
I have attached a photo. There is a subtle intake next to the airbox and an additional blister where the rear tail meets the main body panel.
Seem to recall the prototype was yellow...

It also had fairly big Ronal or Compomotive wheels on it (bigger than standard Super Ford cars). This is pure memory though so can't be 100pc on this.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 22:39 (Ref:3503065)   #6
JakeO
Rookie

Thanks Chunterer, that's interesting that the car was yellow. It would be fantastic to find a photo of the car and put it back to its original livery but im probably asking a bit much ;-)