Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Feb 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3504924)   #1
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre-war Grand Prix drivers and SOE

Whilst doing some research for a Book of Remembrance for Section France of the Special Operations Executive I came across two names who were Grand Prix drivers before the war.

The first name I came across was Robert Benoist. he was born near Rambouillet, ILe-de-France, France on 20 March 1895. he competed in Grand Prix from 1924-1929 and 1934-1937 when he won Le Mans for Bugatti partnering Jean-Pierre Wimille. When France fell in June 1940 he, along with Wimille and another Grand Prix driver named William Grover-Williams escaped to England. Once in England they were recruited by Section France of the newly formed Special Operations Executive. His first mission into Occupied France was in June 1943 when he and Grover-Williams were dropped into France to organise sabotage cells.

In August 1943 his home was raided by the Gestapo and Grover-Williams was arrested. Three days later Benoist was arrested but escaped and made it back to England. In October 1943 he was back in France until February 1944. he was back in France in march in the Nantes area with fellow SOE agent Denise Bloch. On the 18 June 1944 Benoist was arrested and sent to Buchenwald Concentration Camp where he was executed on 11 September 1944. He is remembered on the Brookwood Memorial in Surrey and the SOE Memorial in Valencay France.

The second name I came across has already been mentioned and that is William Grover-Williams. He began his racing career in 1926 which lasted until the late 30's.

Of his SOE career not much is known as 90% of the SOE records were destroyed when SOE was disbanded in 1946. What is know that he went to France with Robert Benoist in June 1943. On 2nd August 1943 he was arrested by the SD and interrogated at length before being sent to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp where in February or March 1945 he was executed by the SS. Like Benoist, he is remembered on the Brookwood Memorial in Surrey and the SOE Memorial in Valencay France.

These brave two men were part of 404 Section F agents of SOE deployed to France. Of those 104 never returned home often dieing in horrific circumstances.

I haven't come across motor sport names in my research but bearing in mind that 90% of SOE records were destroyed in 1946 we will probably never know all the people who served in the Baker Street Irregulars as SOE was known
Old 14 Feb 2015, 18:37 (Ref:3504927)   #2
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for sharing these stories. It is hard to imagine the bravery required to go back into occupied France after escaping in the first place. Bravo, and to you also for the careful research.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 18:46 (Ref:3504933)   #3
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a 1940's Living Historian (one reason why I don't marshal any more). I portray either a code breaker from Bletchley Park and new for this year I will portray a Section F agent of SOE. there is another link between motoring/ motorsport and SOE. The home of the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu in Hampshire UK was the site of the SOE Finishing School where agents finished their SOE training
Old 14 Feb 2015, 18:49 (Ref:3504936)   #4
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The war record of Robert Benoist and William Grove-Williams is covered in some detail in Joe Saward's excellent book The Grand Prix Saboteurs.
Well worth reading.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 14 Feb 2015, 19:13 (Ref:3504944)   #5
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Thanks for that. I'll get a copy when I can afford it
Old 14 Feb 2015, 22:51 (Ref:3505001)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is an excellent read well worth it. You could try your local library for inexpensive access.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 22:53 (Ref:3505003)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Which reminds me that I must return my borrowed copy. It is a very good read.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3505111)   #8
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean-Pierre Wimille was also a member of one of Benoist's networks and narrowly escaped capture at about the same time as Benoist - who is believed to have been betrayed by his brother. A number of other French racing drivers were also active in the resistance and some paid with their lives: René Biolay was murdered at Buchenwald, Jean Trémoulet was killed while on a resistance mission and Juan Zanelli (a Chilean who had been European Hillclimb Champion in 1931) died in a shoot-out between resistance forces and Gestapo agents. The great car designer Georges Paulin - who penned the Darl'Mat Peugeots and the iconic Embiricos Bentley - was also executed by the Gestapo. The androgynous Violette Morris, on the other hand, was eliminated by a resistance hit squad.

Modesty forbids and all that, but you might find this useful ascarmarshal: A different danger - three champions at war

You're right to say that a lot of SOE records were destroyed, but it wasn't necessarily deliberate, given that much of that material was lost in a fire. Of course, there are also theories that the fire wasn't exactly accidental: whatever the truth is, it's bloody inconvenient for anyone wanting to know the real story of SOE!

Last edited by Vitesse; 15 Feb 2015 at 11:56.

Bob Marley
Old 15 Feb 2015, 11:58 (Ref:3505117)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just read a book by Robert Ryan called 'Early One Morning', a work of fiction but loosely based around the wartime activities of Benoist, Williams and to a lesser extent, Wimille. The interesting thing is the Author's note at the end which suggests there is much evidence that Grover Williams survived the war and points to a communication between MI6 and SOE in 1947 in which he was relocated to the States and lived with Yvonne Williams (Grovers wife) as George Tambal.

Also see here:-

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/more-s...iams-1-2321005

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Feb 2015 at 12:09.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 15 Feb 2015, 12:17 (Ref:3505123)   #10
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
All I can go by is the official records here in the UK, France and Germany. I find that story interesting and I will research it more once I have fully finished this project. Since Grover-Williams is officially listed as Killed in Action in the Spring of 1945 at Sachsenhausen Concentration camp his name will be in my Book of Remembrance
Old 16 Feb 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3505520)   #11
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Thank you Vitesse. As a historian all be it amateur it is frustrating that so much of the SOE records no longer exist and some of those that still exist are still sealed under the Official Secrets Act.

My current project has expanded into a book with bio's of all the fallen Section F agents so any information on the two agents I have mentioned would be gratefully received. PM at first and I will give you my email or go to my website and contact me through there www.kategriffiths.co.uk
Old 23 Feb 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3508172)   #12
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I've just read a book by Robert Ryan called 'Early One Morning', a work of fiction but loosely based around the wartime activities of Benoist, Williams and to a lesser extent, Wimille. The interesting thing is the Author's note at the end which suggests there is much evidence that Grover Williams survived the war and points to a communication between MI6 and SOE in 1947 in which he was relocated to the States and lived with Yvonne Williams (Grovers wife) as George Tambal.

Also see here:-

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/more-s...iams-1-2321005
Early One Morning is a work of fiction with a partially factual basis while The Grand Prix Saboteurs is a serious historical study summarising the results of over 18 years of research by Joe Saward. The stories floating around about Grover Williams survival stem from publicity material for the novel and Joe Saward dismisses them, including specifically confirming that his widow, Yvonne, did receive a British Army widow's pension, the lack of which is a kingpin of Robert Ryan's case for his survival.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.