Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Feb 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2837289)   #1
dprs
Rookie

dprs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E36 GRP N, History?

Hi!

I am about to buy an m3 e36 gr n.

Wonder if anyone have some info and history regarding this car?

The chassis number is: E36 N 031 92

It's said the car was driven by Kriss Nissen, but as far as I know he only drove the m3 GTR in the ADAC cup in 93 and this is apparently not an GTR, or?

Please enlighten me!

Kind regards
Daniel
Old 27 Feb 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2837424)   #2
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please excuse my ignorance.

I clearly don't have anything to contribute to this thread, but it would be nice to know what it is about so I know whether to follow it or ignore it.

What is an E36? The reference in the text to m3 [sic] suggests it might be some form of BMW M3

What does GRP mean in the title? The text refers to "gr n" so I assume it means Group N. However to me GRP means Glass Reinforced Polymer, suggesting a fibreglass body.

I accept that those who can help you will understand the title but you should consider the rest of the forum users and use a meaningful title.

Last edited by D-Type; 27 Feb 2011 at 10:53.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2837455)   #3
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E36 Gp N

DPRS,
BMW didn`t make many Go N cars in `92, they used the same (2 door..) bodyshell for the BTCC cars in `92. They made a total of 23, 6 of which were used in the BTCC, so that leaves 17 Gp N cars all of which were sold new in Germany. After that they started making 4 door cars for the Super Toiring regs.
They did make more bodies later, `94 onwards I think. If you give me more details I might be able to add more. PM if you like.
alex
Old 27 Feb 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2837487)   #4
matherto
Rookie

United Kingdom
St. Helens
matherto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taken from Nissen's Wiki page:

'In 1992 he won the Nordic Touring Car Cup and for the second half of the year he replaced the injured Alain Menu in the British Touring Car Championship for BMW'

Make it a BTCC car?
Old 27 Feb 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2837502)   #5
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1993 Kris Nissen raced a group N BMW M3 E36 in selected rounds of the Danish group N championship. The colour scheme was loosely the same as his ADAC GT-car but run by a team called Hokspeed. This team was a joint effort by Nissen himself and one or two other persons, which names escapes me now. At one point Yolanda Surer raced it, and I believe that the car saw it's racing debut in late 1992 at a point when the car wasn't even homologated.
By 1994 Kris Nissen was contracted to Alfa Romeo in the DTM and the M3 was let go, replaced by an Alfa 155 Q4 for his Danish efforts. That particular car surfaced in 2006, but that is way OT.

Dprs, I don't know if "your" E36 is the same that I describe above, but I would say very likely.

Jesper
Old 27 Feb 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2837543)   #6
dprs
Rookie

Thank's!

Hi!

I am sorry for my somewhat vague headline. Will of course have this in mind when posting threads in the furure. If there is a way to change it please tell, couldn't find any "change button".

Thank you very much for all your answers! I am really impressed by your knowledge! If any of you have a photo of the car don't hesitate to post them, would mean a lot.

Alex, could you specify what info you need?

Jesper, with these answers it all starts to fall into place. I have documentation/receipt showing that the car was sold by Daloon to Jens Winther in 94 and that his son Jens Winther Jr drove the car that season. Belive it was group n as well?

The one thing that bothers me the most is that the car don't have the original log book. Will of course try to contact Kris Nissen as well as Jens Winther. Have very little hope they have the time to help though. If anyone of you have info regarding this, it would be fantastic. Persons to contact etc.

Thank's

Daniel
Old 28 Feb 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2837853)   #7
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Daniel.you could try contacting Kris Nissen at VW where he is now their motorsport boss.I have contacted the Winthers before now and the son is very helpful and speaks perfect English.I think I got a contact email address through Google.I think Daloon was a Danish fur trading company who also backed Nissen on his DTM M3 in the German series and I think also on his Alfa in the same series.The E36 was sponsored by the traditional Winther backing of Castrol who also backed his M1 and his URD group c car and I am sure I have a photo of it in the pit garages at Hockenheim which I will try to find(may take some time however!),send me your contact details and I will let you have at least a copy,(you can do a private contact by clicking on my name in blue),Ian.

Last edited by ian beckett; 28 Feb 2011 at 09:43.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2838133)   #8
dprs
Rookie

Hi!

Really nice of you!

Will send a PM with my contact details!

Kind regards
Daniel
Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2840702)   #9
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherto View Post
Taken from Nissen's Wiki page:

'In 1992 he won the Nordic Touring Car Cup and for the second half of the year he replaced the injured Alain Menu in the British Touring Car Championship for BMW'

Make it a BTCC car?
Menu raced a Prodrive 318i Coupé E36 in the BTCC, and it was this car that Nissen raced, although I remember it as one or two rounds. But might be off on the last comment.

Checked up on the group N homologation date of the BMW M3 E36 and it was June 1993 - expiring at the end of 2002 BTW - which mean that Nissen raced the car with the acceptence of his competitors in early rounds of 1993, but not 1992 as I suggested earlier.

Daloon and fur has been mentioned. Daloon made products out of furried and feathered beings, but rather for your stomack than your skin - frosen rolls. But I think that fur coats was part of the Kris Nissen sponsorship deals around this time, but can't remember the name. Saga?

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 5 Mar 2011 at 18:24.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2841667)   #10
dprs
Rookie

Hi!

First I want to say thank you to Ian for sending me photos of my car. Have not recieved them yet but I am sure they are nice.

Jesper, I am really impressed of your knowledge about these cars. Where do you find all the info?

Is there a site out where I could find some detailed photos of the car? Especially the interior.

Sorry for OT, but is it possible to still buy parts out of the group N catalog or are they all NLA? Is there anyone out there who has some parts laying around?

Kind regards
Daniel
Old 10 Mar 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2843477)   #11
dprs
Rookie

Hi!

Jesper, you said Yolanda Surer drove my car at a point? Do you remember what team she was running for? Or was it as a privateer?

The reason for asking is because I have a photo showing her in a Warsteiner car in the 93' DTT (Deutche tourenwagen tropäe) championship. Could it be the same car?

Kind regards
Daniel
Old 10 Mar 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2843513)   #12
Jesper OH
Veteran

Daniel, Yolanda drove the Nissen/Daloon car at the Duckhams Océ Grand Prix Danmark meeting at Jyllands-Ringen on 21-22 August, 1993. The race collided with a round of the ADAC GT Cup which was given top priority by Kris Nissen. His vacant group N mount was then put in charge of Yolanda Surer for this race.
From some confusing notes she seems to have qualified second and finished fourth in heat 1 with no notes about her exploits in the second and final heat.

Jesper
Old 3 May 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2873519)   #13
Torque_635
Rookie

Torque_635 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know about E36/N-0123-94?
I've purchased it and am looking for further information.

Thanks
Regards
rodney.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2898783)   #14
dprs
Rookie

Matter certificate?

Hi!

No problem! It's fun if we can help each other!

I have no info regarding you car but I have a question, for you and everybody else.

I need a Certificate for my roll cage. I know Matter doesn't exist anymore, no help from them. So I contacted DMSB in Germany and asked if they could help me. Of course, they said, but we need a number called Prüfberichts-nr or in english test resport number to be able to send you a new certificate.

When I looked at the cage in my car I couldn't find any number. Do I look at the wrong places or did BMW Motorsport have a special roll cage certificate covering all the group N M3 e36's built?

I have also contacted BMW Motorsport, but without success.

Would really appreciate all the help I could get. Because if I don't get this certificate, I can't get a Swedish log book and then I can't compete with the car

Kind regards
Daniel
Old 17 Jun 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2900657)   #15
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprs View Post
Hi!

I have no info regarding you car but I have a question, for you and everybody else.

I need a Certificate for my roll cage. I know Matter doesn't exist anymore, no help from them. So I contacted DMSB in Germany and asked if they could help me. Of course, they said, but we need a number called Prüfberichts-nr or in english test resport number to be able to send you a new certificate.

When I looked at the cage in my car I couldn't find any number. Do I look at the wrong places or did BMW Motorsport have a special roll cage certificate covering all the group N M3 e36's built?

Would really appreciate all the help I could get. Because if I don't get this certificate, I can't get a Swedish log book and then I can't compete with the car

Kind regards
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Strangely enough, Matter do still exist, although they are in France now! Winfried Matter who started this company is now in China I have heard, so not the same people but still the same company sort of. They have a website too if you do some searching on google.

I got a copy of the original certificate from them for my 1992 DTM M3 a few months ago. I think it was 50€ or something like that. I too needed it for the NZ logbook. Contact details are :

Matter France
15 Rue de Piscop
95350 St Brice S/Foret
tel. 01 34 04 14 28
fax. 01 34 04 14 29

Conrad
Old 17 Jun 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2900670)   #16
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The website is:

http://www.matter-motorsport.fr/

You will need to quote the long chassis number, as well as the Matter number that is stamped on their tag, which is probably welded to the L/H A pillar.

regards Conrad
Old 17 Jun 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2900932)   #17
dprs
Rookie

THANK'S!

Hi!

This was really good news, really appreciate it!!

Never knew our cars had a long chassis number? Do you mean the matter number located on the door step?

Do you have more detailed info or a photo perhaps of where the tag is located? I went out and tried to find it, but without success. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Send me a PM if you wish!

Many thank's!!

Daniel
Old 17 Jun 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2900957)   #18
vst
Rookie

vst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprs View Post
Hi!

Kind regards
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

PM me your contact details, I have a copy of the certificate I can send you ( my car is 0106 94)

Cheers

Tom
Old 17 Jun 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2900958)   #19
vst
Rookie

vst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
The website is:

http://www.matter-motorsport.fr/

You will need to quote the long chassis number, as well as the Matter number that is stamped on their tag, which is probably welded to the L/H A pillar.

regards Conrad

On the e36 the Matter tag is normally on the drivers sill, under the plastic sill trim panel.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2900968)   #20
dprs
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
Hi Daniel,

PM me your contact details, I have a copy of the certificate I can send you ( my car is 0106 94)

Cheers

Tom
Hi!
Really appreciated!

Sent you an PM!

Kind regards
Daniel
Old 23 Oct 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2975345)   #21
dprs
Rookie

Hi!

Thank you all for your help!

I am about to repaint my car now and wonder if any of you have pictures of the car when it competed in it's original colors. This must have been in the danish gr n championship in 92 or 93?

All help appreciated!

Thank's

Daniel
Old 6 Jun 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3086566)   #22
dprs
Rookie

Hi!

Since I haven't paint my car yet because of various reasons, I still trying to determine which colour to choose? So I thought, this forum must be the perfect source for such a question

The car was white from the beginning, as they all were when leaving the factory. It then turned into som sort of a multi coulored replica of the gtr Nissen drove in the german gt series. After this it had the castrol coulors, green, white and red/silver.

So, what coulor should i go for? I am thinking about the multi coulor variant but haven't seen any pictures of my car from this era... Anyone has pictures?

Any other ideas?

Kind regards
Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
1993ADAC03_car.jpg   83989.jpg  
Old 6 Feb 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3501951)   #23
Gagi84
Rookie

Gagi84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there. Does anyone have any info on a E36/N014 92 car?? I have bought it a few year ago. It would be nice to know where it came from and who drove it.
Sorry for my bad english.
Cheers.
Gregor
Old 8 Feb 2015, 10:38 (Ref:3502833)   #24
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E36 Gp N

Hi Gregor,
E36 Gp N #14 went to Menton in March 1992 for use in the DTT. Hope that helps.
Alex
Old 10 Feb 2015, 13:29 (Ref:3503657)   #25
Gagi84
Rookie

Gagi84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for this But i cant seem to find any photos of the car, i have found the results of races that menton team participated in but from 1993 year onwards. in 1993 they had 3 bmw, one M3 and two 325. I dont know what engine was in my car, because i bought it without an engine and before it had a E46 M3 engine in it. So if anyone else knows anything more about this car i would be very glad for the info.

Cheers.
Gregor