Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jul 2016, 07:08 (Ref:3657625)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
08 JUL 2016
Statement from Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport re Free Choice Vending Australia Sponsorship

Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport wishes to clarify the situation in relation to an agreement between the team and tobacco retailer, Free Choice Vending Australia (FCVA).

Media reports to the effect that the Court ordered FCVA and/or Travers Beynon be paid back $250,000 are incorrect. No such order was made. This money continues to be held by LDM.

LDM’s participation in this weekend’s Castrol EDGE Townsville 400 has never been in doubt and it is competing with drivers Nick Percat and Andre Heimgartner as planned.
Article Here

Gets stranger & stranger...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Jul 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3657629)   #27
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
Didn't it happen @ Bathurst, when Denyer had to remove program/network branding as it clashed with the broadcaster?
Yeah Ten & relevant TV show branding had to come off the car.

Kinda flies in the face of anti-competition laws surely?
Old 8 Jul 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3657636)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im not claiming to fully understand the tobacco advertising rules of QLD

however this article seems to suggest to me that Free Choice is not able to be advertised ona v8 supercar

Tobacco retail boss sets up Playboy-style mansion and throws decadent parties — all to promote business
Old 9 Jul 2016, 05:01 (Ref:3657741)   #29
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Has happened for years in NASCAR, cost some teams sponsors when Nextel took over in 2004 which forbid competing companies from signing new deals backing cars (eg.. Childress weren't allowed to renew their sponsorship with Cingular after the deal ended)

It didn't happen in Australia thankfully when Shell backed the ATCC and SCS.
It has worked the other way though, in the early 70s Marlboro title-sponsored the USAC Championship Trail, but withdrew their backing because USAC didn't block rival tobacco brand Viceroy from sponsoring the Vel's Parnelli Jones team

I like the non-NASCAR way though, like we had with Shell for example backing the ATCC with Castrol, Mobil, Caltex etc.. sponsored teams.

Quote:
however this article seems to suggest to me that Free Choice is not able to be advertised ona v8 supercar
If 'Freechoices' branding does break the law, then no problem with it being blocked

My point originally was just to clarify if 'Freechoices' branding was illegal or whether the series just didn't like that sponsorship. Sponsorships should only be blocked if they are illegal by law.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3657889)   #30
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
Didn't it happen @ Bathurst, when Denyer had to remove program/network branding as it clashed with the broadcaster?
Kevin Bartlett's Camaro was sponsored by Channel 9 in the early 80s, and it was referred to as such during the Channel 7 Bathurst broadcasts.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 02:21 (Ref:3657910)   #31
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Kevin Bartlett's Camaro was sponsored by Channel 9 in the early 80s, and it was referred to as such during the Channel 7 Bathurst broadcasts.
In the 1981 Bathurst broadcast Ch7 even comment on how great it was to see all the commercial networks sponsoring cars in the race (Ch7 sponsoring Bob Morris, Channel 9 Bartlett and Channel 10 backing John Goss)
Old 10 Jul 2016, 02:36 (Ref:3657912)   #32
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LDM seem to have picked up a replacement. Wonder what happened there?
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorspo...8b27b98b4c4703
Old 10 Jul 2016, 03:29 (Ref:3657915)   #33
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More here: http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/07/10/...ith-pneumonia/
Old 10 Jul 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3658182)   #34
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So Supercars should be able to pick and choose who is allowed to sponsor cars in the series?...Sets a dangerous precedent too, what happens of Qantas or Tiger want to sponsor a team, would that be blocked because Virgin Australia backs the series?
If it means they will be breaching their contracts if they don't, then yes they should be able to pick and choose. All depends on the contracts, if Virgin put a clause in saying "here is a lot of sponsorship money, however no other airline shall take part" and that sponsorship money is a lot more than QANTAS or Tiger have been contributing, why shouldn't V8SC tell the teams they can't be sponsored by a Virgin rival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
So that article has Wayne Russell actively trying to place the sponsorship with LDM at least for the weekend. If the relationship is that strong, why on earth would Plus Fitness be demanding Novacastrian remove the stickers Mr Phelps?

Novacastrian car to be run by a 3 car LDM next round? Mr Russell Jnr to replace Heimgartner?

Last edited by Axeman444; 10 Jul 2016 at 22:31.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 08:01 (Ref:3658242)   #35
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
If it means they will be breaching their contracts if they don't, then yes they should be able to pick and choose. All depends on the contracts, if Virgin put a clause in saying "here is a lot of sponsorship money, however no other airline shall take part" and that sponsorship money is a lot more than QANTAS or Tiger have been contributing, why shouldn't V8SC tell the teams they can't be sponsored by a Virgin rival?
It would be a ridiculous clause to agree to in the first place

We are not swimming in sponsorship $$$ in the current economic climate, yet you are advocating the series banking a cheque over a competitor who may have found a sponsor willing to pump in $$ to get their car onto the grid?
Old 11 Jul 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3658259)   #36
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

We are not swimming in sponsorship $$$ in the current economic climate, yet you are advocating the series banking a cheque over a competitor who may have found a sponsor willing to pump in $$ to get their car onto the grid?
Present opportunity with conditions (Virgin) vs. undefinable probability of future involvement from another company in the same industry? I'd probably take the current cash with conditions, bearing in mind the benefit goes directly to V8SC corporate coffers.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 10:06 (Ref:3658260)   #37
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Present opportunity with conditions (Virgin) vs. undefinable probability of future involvement from another company in the same industry? I'd probably take the current cash with conditions, bearing in mind the benefit goes directly to V8SC corporate coffers.
Depends on the deal doesn't it? For example, IF the Virgin deal was based on exclusivity and that resulted in a higher annual payment plus better travel deals for teams, the teams benefit from both their share of the overall revenue in their shareholder payments from VASC plus lower travel costs.

Travel costs can be a large proportional cost in team budgets so reducing or removing some of those costs may well be of greater benefit to teams than any potential other airline sponsorship that individual teams could negotiate.

There are also examples of series sponsors taking up individual team sponsorships and sometimes an exclusive series sponsor can provide additional revenue to some of the teams that way too.

As always with commercial arrangements, there is no "one size fits all" arrangement and it would be a mistake to oversimplify what can sometimes be quite complex arrangements.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 21:59 (Ref:3658416)   #38
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
It is not ideal but provided this is done up front and is known (not post and reactive) than to me it is fine and part of many marketing plans across sports.

I hope those who criticised and bagged Channel 7 over the Denyer/Channel 10 scenario at Bathurst a couple of years ago aren't now jumping on the sponsor exclusivity bandwagon though.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 23:54 (Ref:3658742)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its not over yet...

The Candyman Can... launch a damages case...

Sounds like Mr Beynon isn't satisfied with just getting his money back, and that a damages case will ensue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Our perhaps most flamboyant and controversial client, the Gold Coast’s own Candyman, tobacco franchising supremo Mr Travers Beynon, had a win this week in the Supreme Court when Justice James Douglas froze $250,000 in sponsorship funds paid by his company Freechoice Australia to the Lucas Dumbrell V8 racing team, ahead of this weekend’s Townsville 400. As well, Justice Douglas ordered the Dumbrell team to remove the Candyman’s decals from its cars and account for all of their assets ahead of a major damages action launched by Freechoice, to be heard later this year.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 01:55 (Ref:3658755)   #40
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Its not over yet...

The Candyman Can... launch a damages case...

Sounds like Mr Beynon isn't satisfied with just getting his money back, and that a damages case will ensue...

Old 15 Jul 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3658934)   #41
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm yet to see anything that would suggest this person and his antics would have been anything other than a blight on V8SC.

As to that photo on his Lawyer's page, if you can't afford a Phantom then don't bother getting a Rolls. You just look poor in your Ghost, which is a glorified 7 series.
Old 17 Jul 2016, 11:03 (Ref:3659128)   #42
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
I think at one point he had sponsorship from channel 6 too
Old 18 Jul 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3659369)   #43
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I think at one point he had sponsorship from channel 6 too
That was for the benefit of those watching the telecast in the Northern Hemisphere !
Old 19 Jul 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3659674)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
LDM Here To Stay

Old 20 Jul 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3659757)   #45
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
That was for the benefit of those watching the telecast in the Northern Hemisphere !
If there was a like button on this forum, the above post would have caused a click of it
Old 3 Aug 2016, 03:51 (Ref:3663157)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Candyman Goes Racing

Old 3 Aug 2016, 04:50 (Ref:3663163)   #47
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THIS story sounds very similar to a previous Mining/Horse Racing Magnates Car racing involvement............well to me and Nathan it does
Old 3 Aug 2016, 08:09 (Ref:3663190)   #48
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport does throw a few curveballs, but I can't see RD signing him up to replace Jamie!
Old 3 Aug 2016, 18:29 (Ref:3663286)   #49
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one know why he was excluded from the race??
Old 3 Aug 2016, 22:28 (Ref:3663345)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
Any one know why he was excluded from the race??
It didn't make it to any race reports around the place..

Mr Beynon seems quite quick in that Audi, maybe not front of grid quick, but for a first (?) race meeting (at least in this car) it wasn't a bad effort!

Perhaps David Thexton will have a spiritual brother racing in the main game soon?