Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Oct 2016, 00:02 (Ref:3681684)   #26
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
What issue is the kerb strike penalty trying to solve? Was cutting chicanes such a big issue that it was influencing race results that yet another rule was required?

Of course drivers will be free to exceed track limits on other corners such as turn 7 in Adelaide without fear of penalty.
Personally, I think they haven't found the balance between 'race' and 'show' that they're looking for.

I would think that larger, immovable tyre stacks close to the apex would be the go, but it would interfere with those glorious slo-mo clips of cars bouncing over the massive curbs, panels wobbling all over the place, that might make the 6pm news.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 00:30 (Ref:3681686)   #27
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Just make the insides of the chicanes grass and gravel like they used to?
Old 21 Oct 2016, 05:56 (Ref:3681720)   #28
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have to use "strikes" or sensors to judge whether a corner or chicane has been cut too much, surely the best solution is to fix the corner so it can't be cut or it is slower to cut it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just make the insides of the chicanes grass and gravel like they used to?
I agree with that, except then people will complain about the gravel getting dragged onto the track..

The chicanes used to be much tighter as well, particularly the first one, that would probably help curb the kerb hopping a little too..... but as said above, you would lose the imagery of the two-wheeling, even though the racing itself would be better and less controversial.... (they should fix up the first chicane at Adelaide while they are at it)
Old 21 Oct 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3681760)   #29
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialHol...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Tander says the kerbs are lowered. Raise them up make them car breakers, they will stay off them then.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3681763)   #30
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
IMO, there's not a better visual in all of motorsport than the super slo-mo of the Supercars two-wheeling it over the chicanes.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 21:18 (Ref:3681817)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialHol...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Tander says the kerbs are lowered. Raise them up make them car breakers, they will stay off them then.
But it breaks cars. Is that what we want?

We must remember that the purpose of the Kerbs is to slow people down on long straights (New turns and awesome footage of cars is a bonus side effect
Old 22 Oct 2016, 00:30 (Ref:3681833)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Just noticing that Erebus are pushing Loco Energy drinks online

Do they have a new sponsor this weekend?
Old 22 Oct 2016, 02:15 (Ref:3681836)   #33
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
But it breaks cars. Is that what we want?

We must remember that the purpose of the Kerbs is to slow people down on long straights (New turns and awesome footage of cars is a bonus side effect
The corners serve the purpose of slowing cars down along long straights.

The kerbs serve the purpose of defining the inner or outer limits of the corners and in some circumstances protecting the edge of the asphalt from breaking up and or dragging dirt, grass, etc onto the track should drivers exceed the outer or inner limits of the corners.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 02:39 (Ref:3681837)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The corners serve the purpose of slowing cars down along long straights.

The kerbs serve the purpose of defining the inner or outer limits of the corners and in some circumstances protecting the edge of the asphalt from breaking up and or dragging dirt, grass, etc onto the track should drivers exceed the outer or inner limits of the corners.
But in the case of what we are talking about there are no corners, just a straight. they add kerbs to create corners (or in this case chicanes)
Old 22 Oct 2016, 04:44 (Ref:3681839)   #35
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But in the case of what we are talking about there are no corners, just a straight. they add kerbs to create corners (or in this case chicanes)
True, but painted lines could serve the same purpose. As often used to separate cars exiting pit lane and those on the racing line.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 05:20 (Ref:3681844)   #36
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I dont get pro drive strategists.

They make a good move with starting Frosty in the car, pays off with the perfectly timed safety car. Then they bring Canto in early and put in him in the mid pack with the full timers.

Meanwhile they dont bring either 55 or 111 in and put the full timers in and so they are stuck behind each other meaning a double stack if they get the get the next SC

meanwhile its triple 8s to lose
Old 22 Oct 2016, 05:57 (Ref:3681845)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I dont get pro drive strategists.

They make a good move with starting Frosty in the car, pays off with the perfectly timed safety car. Then they bring Canto in early and put in him in the mid pack with the full timers.

Meanwhile they dont bring either 55 or 111 in and put the full timers in and so they are stuck behind each other meaning a double stack if they get the get the next SC

meanwhile its triple 8s to lose
The prodrive cars are slow on long runs.. their strategy options seem limited because of that..

Had the safety car for Mr Reindker not come out, it might have worked for #1

Reliability & driver issues in that squad too..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:15 (Ref:3681847)   #38
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
big hit for fabs.

got that going quick, very suprised, but we seem to accept more risk with two laps too go

Top drive SVG, seems to have a handle on the GC

Last edited by peckstar; 22 Oct 2016 at 06:25.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:16 (Ref:3681848)   #39
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not pretty Mr Tander
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:19 (Ref:3681850)   #40
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a disgrace Tander, that about sums up your career, he'll be remembered for PI 06 and this, disgusting racing from a so called pro driver.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:20 (Ref:3681851)   #41
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow really, Tander gets a penalty for that? I thought Fabs was at least as much at fault, firstly for weaving from side to side and ultimately trying to close the door when Garth was already there. Racing incident for mine...
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:34 (Ref:3681852)   #42
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
Wow really, Tander gets a penalty for that? I thought Fabs was at least as much at fault, firstly for weaving from side to side and ultimately trying to close the door when Garth was already there. Racing incident for mine...
I think maybe you need to check the overhead to confirm who was weaving

and dont forget the tap in the accelaration zone from GT
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:56 (Ref:3681854)   #43
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
100% Tander's fault for mine, although I haven't seen an in-car shot of Coulthard at the point of impact (Ch10 cut to a rear onboard shot that tells nothing), Tander clearly gives a definite right hand down before the impact that I presume was another weave. The overhead shot shows Coulthard moving gradually to the left compared to the linemarking, which the commentary team identified as the normal racing line, but also a jink right from Tander.

Another point is you wouldn't get such a violent reaction from a slight squeeze.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 06:58 (Ref:3681855)   #44
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think maybe you need to check the overhead to confirm who was weaving

and dont forget the tap in the accelaration zone from GT
The weaving was going on before the incident which is irrelevant and the tap in the acceleration zone happened even well before that, so that's also irrelevant.
Not sure why they just wouldn't have looked at it post race.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 07:06 (Ref:3681856)   #45
AnEmmoFan
Rookie

AnEmmoFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps this week's court proceedings may have influenced their decision to make an 'in race' penalty!
Old 22 Oct 2016, 07:27 (Ref:3681859)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
The weaving was going on before the incident which is irrelevant and the tap in the acceleration zone happened even well before that, so that's also irrelevant.
Agreed.

It appears that Mr Coulthard didn't get great drive out of the previous corner, that Mr Tander was into his rear bumper because of it. Mr Tandercwent right, Mr Coulthard moved slightly right & blocked the move. Mr Tander went left. Mr Coulthard drifted slightly more left, perhaps not knowing that there was an overlap with #2. The drift left continued, Mr Coulthard wiped #12's bum on #2's nose, and eating concrete is the result.

Not a great call from Race Control reenalties I don't think.

Nor a great comment from Mr Keed on the radio to Mr Coulthard about the pilot of #2 either

Looking from all those teev shots, #12 HAS to be bent... rails, cage, rear..
Probably going under the dust sheet for the weekend
Old 22 Oct 2016, 07:34 (Ref:3681860)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The Aftermath - He Said She Said

This is funny...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, Mr Coulthard suggested

He believed Tander was being too aggressive fighting for a fifth place finish.
Old 22 Oct 2016, 07:39 (Ref:3681861)   #48
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slow car holding up a faster car for too long, never ends well. NEWS FLASH when you are slow and have no car left STOP FIGHTING!!!!!
Old 22 Oct 2016, 07:47 (Ref:3681864)   #49
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
Slow car holding up a faster car for too long, never ends well. NEWS FLASH when you are slow and have no car left STOP FIGHTING!!!!!
Hi Garth
Old 22 Oct 2016, 08:10 (Ref:3681868)   #50
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a big tander supporter but that was all him.