Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Mar 2002, 13:53 (Ref:240132)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Damon Hill's first F1 drive

Yesterday on the ten-tenths "On This Day In History" section it said that Damon Hill drove a Williams for the first time on the 19th March 1991.

Was this the first contemporary F1 car he had driven?

Also had he (or has he since) driven any old F1 cars?

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Mar 2002 at 13:59.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 13:54 (Ref:240133)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's driven for Williams, Brabham, Arrows and Jordan.

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Mar 2002 at 13:57.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 14:11 (Ref:240141)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brabham came first, IIRC...
Old 20 Mar 2002, 14:56 (Ref:240169)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes he did race a Brabham before a Williams. Did he test a Brabham before he started testing for Williams?

He was the first across the line after Mansell won his championship in Hungary I think (albeit 4 laps down!). His first race was at Silverstone (I think) and he finished there too.

He had failed to qualify a few times before that too.

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Mar 2002 at 15:03.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 15:12 (Ref:240178)   #5
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Brabham came first, IIRC...
I'm sure he was Willy's test driver first.
Brabham was certainly his first F1 race, took the car over from the wonderful Giovanna Amato IIRC. This was at the 92 Britsh Grand prix, the first one I marshalled.
I had the pleasure of steering it back to the pits on the end of a tow rope in company with Mansell's Williams.
(Damon had to stop at Club behind the whoreds of Mansell maniacs)
Old 20 Mar 2002, 15:18 (Ref:240185)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he also tried a Hill GH1 or GH2 at Silverstone, I remember seeing the pictures somewhere!
Old 20 Mar 2002, 15:46 (Ref:240206)   #7
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and an ex-Hill (Sr) BRM at Donington around 1991 or 1992
Old 20 Mar 2002, 16:20 (Ref:240240)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yes Damon hill tested for Williams before he drove for Brabham , he was the main williams tester in 91 and 92 and during 92 got the call up to brabham to replace giovanna Amatti , in time for round 4 at spain , he never qualified until britian and he gain qualified in hungary and then the team went broke.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 16:21 (Ref:240242)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and the the heck is IIRC ??????
Old 20 Mar 2002, 16:24 (Ref:240245)   #10
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
IIRC = if I recall/remember correctly
Old 20 Mar 2002, 16:27 (Ref:240251)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
tah very muchly , and of course now i realize that all the stuff i typed had been already said above ..lol
Old 20 Mar 2002, 21:40 (Ref:240491)   #12
David Tremayne
Rookie

David Tremayne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon drove a Hill GH2 (the car the late Tony brise should have raced). This would have been circa 1987. I remember him saying it didn't have any grip!
Also he drove a Benetton at Ricard. I seem to recall it was in 1987 or maybe 1989.

David Tremayne
Old 21 Mar 2002, 03:49 (Ref:240558)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

Being so far from the scene, I wouldn't have a clue about testing... my post related to racing, and I was sure Damon raced the Brabham first... my recollection relating to him driving for the team his father drove against.

Did he really complain of lack of grip on the older car?

Whinging pom!
Old 21 Mar 2002, 11:18 (Ref:240760)   #14
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray - bear in mind that the GH2 was still only in the first stages of testing when Graham and Tony were killed flying back from France. Four other members of the team, including the designer Andy Smallman also died in that crash and the car was never run again AFAIK - it was set aside and the team was disbanded. Within a few months the GH2 was a prized exhibit at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, where I think it still normally resides. So, chances are there is little or no contemporary data about the car's set-up available. And a lot of mid-70s F1 cars were - well - a little skittish.

And of course Graham not only drove against the Brabham team, but for them as a well, scoring his last F1 win in the 1971 International Trophy and giving the "lobster claw" BT 34 its only victory. He was also in the semi-works Rondel Racing F2 team in 1971, winning at Thruxton, and the following year ran his own F2 Brabham with Jaegermeister sponsorship. Admittedly this was all after Sir Jack severed his connection with the team, but I think we can consider that edition of Brabham slightly more "authentic" than in the Bernie era and beyond.

Bob Marley
Old 21 Mar 2002, 11:31 (Ref:240764)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by David Tremayne

Also he drove a Benetton at Ricard. I seem to recall it was in 1987 or maybe 1989
Cheers
So this could be the earliest comtempory drive?
If it was 1987 that be a turbo car? Cool!
Old 24 Mar 2002, 17:01 (Ref:242932)   #16
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This came off my "motor racing Retro" F-1 CD. If you want pictures of everything, Franco has them and it is embarressingly inexpensive for such a valuable service.

http://uk.geocities.com/motorracingretro/daily.htm
Attached Thumbnails
92gbr08a.jpg  
Old 24 Mar 2002, 22:50 (Ref:243196)   #17
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse
Ray - bear in mind that the GH2 was still only in the first stages of testing when Graham and Tony were killed flying back from France. Four other members of the team, including the designer Andy Smallman also died in that crash and the car was never run again AFAIK - it was set aside and the team was disbanded. Within a few months the GH2 was a prized exhibit at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, where I think it still normally resides. So, chances are there is little or no contemporary data about the car's set-up available. And a lot of mid-70s F1 cars were - well - a little skittish.

And of course Graham not only drove against the Brabham team, but for them as a well, scoring his last F1 win in the 1971 International Trophy and giving the "lobster claw" BT 34 its only victory. He was also in the semi-works Rondel Racing F2 team in 1971, winning at Thruxton, and the following year ran his own F2 Brabham with Jaegermeister sponsorship. Admittedly this was all after Sir Jack severed his connection with the team, but I think we can consider that edition of Brabham slightly more "authentic" than in the Bernie era and beyond.
I was at Phillip Island racing my Clubman the day that the news came through of Graham and Tony dying... and naturally I considered that I knew both of them. I had a lot of close conversations with Tony, and had got to chat to Graham on a number of occasions during the Tasman era.

My 'whinging' comment was meant tongue in cheek.. and to be honest, I'd forgotten that Graham drove for Ron, though it was everpresent in my mind that he drove Brabhams, especially this one...

It was also a factor that I recognised Damon, after running all manner of more modern gear, was saying this about a car of a much earlier era...

Last edited by Ray Bell; 24 Mar 2002 at 22:53.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 12:41 (Ref:243585)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was a bit of showmanship at Silverstone in '92. Hill was running at the back and had been lapped a few times (can't recall how many) but we all felt that Nige didn't need to pass him again but did so just so that Hill (his test driver) would get a few cheers on the back of Nigel's win as he followed the Williams across the line. It was (as had been the norm for some years) an emotional moment.

It also set the tone for the Prost/Hill era. Although there was a lot of support for Alain the Silverstone crowd was almost as supportive of Hill as they had been for Mansell. When, in '93, Hill retired heading into Luffield one, there was uproar. I recall the rumours about an engine destruct button being used by Patrick Head to stop Hill who was leading at the time.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 14:37 (Ref:243655)   #19
Dr. Austin
Veteran

We always joked about the "Damon button." After Maylasia, I woud guess Ferrari has a "Rubens " button.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 20:51 (Ref:243916)   #20
Ray Bell
Veteran

I thought the button was supposed to rest with the Renault people? Then when he blew a tyre in Germany there had to be a rethink?
Old 25 Mar 2002, 21:11 (Ref:243936)   #21
Dr. Austin
Veteran

The tire button was with the goodyear people. They stuck it to Damon once, but what they did to Mansell was outrageous.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 20:13 (Ref:244648)   #22
David Tremayne
Rookie

David Tremayne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't Renault have the 'Jenson' button?

Sorry...

David Tremayne
Old 26 Mar 2002, 20:17 (Ref:244653)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kindly leave the dias!!!!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 21:06 (Ref:244688)   #24
Ray Bell
Veteran

Sure hope this doesn't get too far off topic...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 22:10 (Ref:244740)   #25
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought we'd more or less thrashed this one out, so I don't see why the topic shouldn't be left to grow as it wants.