Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 27 Nov 2003, 12:41 (Ref:796025)   #26
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Future Justin - I said 'to be featured'. The clue's in the question (or something).
Old 27 Nov 2003, 20:00 (Ref:796371)   #27
dhart
Racer

dhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the ramblings of A/Sport's Mr Pye today are anything to go buy expect nothing.Apparently marshalls now need to attend "racing school" so that he doesnt get overtaken too closely in the wet - what a waste of club repoting space - he was at a meeting where he could have written about the effort and sacrfice of future Zetec kids like Howson,Glew,Gough etc
, but no his qualifing 24th and dnf warranted all this space - exposure any of these kids would kill for, if any of these get on it will be despite of Club A/sport not because of .
Old 3 Dec 2003, 13:53 (Ref:802609)   #28
Keefyboy
Rookie

Keefyboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only just seen this thread but I'd be happy to cover as much FF1600 racing as possible next year in the new monthly magazine, Track & Race Cars (launched Jan 2004). All we'd ask for in return would be our sticker above the numbers.

I've raced Kents from 1996 to 1999 and then Zetecs from 2001 until now so I fully appreciate how much space Formula Ford in general doesn't get.

Could somebody email me at:

kwood@unity-media.com

Hopefully we can get something arranged.

Keith
Old 3 Dec 2003, 14:15 (Ref:802635)   #29
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Track & Race Cars"
Tell us more...or better still create a new topic somewhere?
Old 3 Dec 2003, 15:19 (Ref:802709)   #30
Keefyboy
Rookie

PaulSands,

It'll probably be taken off if I start a new thread purely because it's cheating advertising. However, as you may know Cars & Car Conversions has been shelved, so we here at Unity Media are not just replacing it with Track & Race Cars but setting a new trend by actually featuring racing cars, very much like it used to do back in the 80s and 90s.

What this means is plenty of coverage for the clubman and national racers in a monthly magazine. There's also a section on track day cars, news, new products, technical breakdowns (cams explained etc), technical tests (ie: how to setup suspension etc) and even a race diary section. The race diary is where we'd like to feature a months worth of club racing that we sponsor. We also want to do driver profiles, too.

There's lots more but I haven't the time to go into too much detail. You can find out more on www.unity-media.com for a rough look at what the logo is like...

Keith
Old 3 Dec 2003, 15:25 (Ref:802718)   #31
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found that web site from your email address good to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:29 (Ref:802781)   #32
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Keefyboy
The race diary is where we'd like to feature a months worth of club racing that we sponsor. We also want to do driver profiles, too.
Keith,
Good luck with it.
Pity that the 2nd Thursday of the month is Press Day at Autosport International in your launch month. Your 1st issue news will be dated when it hits the news stands.

Your "months worth of club racing" is "that we sponsor".

Sounds like a limited amount of series to me. So can I put my series down now for inclusion now?. I'm sure the Opal Telecom NW Formula Ford 1600 Championship drivers will happily display your logo above their numbers.

That is one featured open wheel series sorted for you then!

Please don't major too much - if at all - on BTCC, F3 etc. They get enough coverage as it is.
Ian
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:30 (Ref:802784)   #33
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Where are you getting your photos from?
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:44 (Ref:802796)   #34
Keefyboy
Rookie

Diz,

We can't compete with MN or Autosport because we're monthly, that's why I can only feature limited amount of clubman racing. It took a while to figure out but we'd like to sponsor around six race championships (all club level) and feature the months worth of race news in the Track & Race Diary. There's room for championship standings, driver reviews and lots more. Can you email me your contact details and we can discuss getting involved with the Opal Telecom NW Formula Ford 1600 Championship for 2004.

PaulSands
I use freelance snappers for all the shoots.

Keith
Old 3 Dec 2003, 19:07 (Ref:802928)   #35
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keith

You've probably seen the other threads about the proposed FF1600 club - it might be worth widening out from just the NW series if possible to cover all the regional/classic/historic series.

Drop me a line if you wish to discuss.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 20:11 (Ref:802987)   #36
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We've had brilliant coverage in MN and Autosport this year and last to be fair.

It's like everything else i'm afraid - you have to promote yourself, make the journo's job easy, let them have something fresh to write about, a 'story'.

We havn't the given right to be written about any more than any other class - and I'm sure their drivers feel as frustrated as FF1600's do if they don't get a mega mention.

A few (actually a lot) of years ago I finished 2nd o/a (By 2 seconds) on a stage rally in a standard mkII rs2000, blowing of hsr chevettes, BDA's, TR8's, lotus Sunbeams etc.

The other top drivers got rave reviews of derring do, whilst all I got was '..and KD took his wife out for a saturday afternoon drive to finish 2nd'.

Forget the modesty thing, tell em all how mega you are,how bad/good the car was, what a story they can tell, buy them a pint, send them money, ANYTHING to get your name, championship or whatever in the limelight.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 01:06 (Ref:803232)   #37
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you kartingdad about self promoting, but I don't agree with your comment on 'Brilliant coverage in Autosport and MN'. If you read some of the race reports this year, they didn't tie-in with what actually happened on the track which led me to believe that the journo wasn't even at the track and must have had his info 2nd hand.

Keefyboy. If you had a word with Martin Ruddick who is the resident snapper at Oulton, I am sure he would help you out. One other idea that I have used on other non-motorsport related activities, is to hand out a couple of those throw away cameras at the start of a meeting and pick them up at the end of the day. Half the time, they write their own story and you get some great shots (or should I say interesting) of the action around the paddock. Great if your featuring individuals and teams. Just a thought. We are actually trying to put together a promotions team for the NWFFC, but I am sure the Diz will supply you with that info.

BEST OF LUCK....

I'm sure there would be a strong market for this. You only have to read the other threads to see how many people would love a publication of this nature. Competitors, marshall's and spectators alike.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:50 (Ref:803484)   #38
kartingdad
Veteran

I meant 'we' as in us personally, not the nw ff1600 series actually.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 09:38 (Ref:803511)   #39
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by kartingdad
We've had brilliant coverage in MN and Autosport this year and last to be fair.
KD
That is because your lad is consistently on the podium. These are the ones that get mentions.
I'm sure we'd all like to see every race covered in depth -throughout the field - but as the journos and others have pointed out, limited space is all that is allocated. Sad isn't it?
diz
Old 4 Dec 2003, 10:48 (Ref:803559)   #40
kartingdad
Veteran

Success has it's rewards I guess.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 15:45 (Ref:803834)   #41
dhart
Racer

I agree with KD, the coverage has generally been good for those at the front, and quite right too, i dont really think that a list of excuses for the rest of the field makes good reading.
The value of good reports is very important for the talented kids in NW FF to help them create a good profile for potential support, but i think those moaning want it on a plate, they dont realise the hard work some of these kids do to attract attention, self plublicity, and support, they just expect it by qualifing 22nd getting a missfire and a DNF hardluck story - those drivers and races worth reporting are i think quite well covered.

Last edited by dhart; 4 Dec 2003 at 15:46.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 16:15 (Ref:803869)   #42
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by dhart
they just expect it by qualifing 22nd getting a misfire and a DNF hardluck story
I totally agree Dave,
The problem is the comics major on the "perceived" premier classes - FR etc. These kiddies do get the qualifing 22nd getting a misfire and a DNF hardluck story. It is very sad. How many times does an "up and coming - very promising" driver get coverage for doing absolutely zilch. e.g. He would have qualified higher, but his practice was ruined by a midge squashing itself onto his visor, thus obscuring his vision and leading to him only qualifying 23rd out of 24 instead of his usual 22nd.

I'm waiting for the day when we get "Bloggs junior qualified badly because in mid session his ba££s dropped"

BTW "up and coming - very promising" driver means a very young one with parental funding, who is quite often out of his depth.

A wee anecdote about what the comics deem newsworthy. Some years ago, I wanted my calendar publishing in ASpt. It didn't go in - lack of space. What did go in was a piece about Gerry Marshall being spotted spectating at a Lydden Hill Rallycross. Need I say more?
diz
Old 4 Dec 2003, 16:39 (Ref:803890)   #43
kartingdad
Veteran

They do print some garbage don't they?

Veteran Organiser to quote Autosport.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally, when they called you a vetran organiser, does that mean you organise veterans?

Last edited by kartingdad; 4 Dec 2003 at 16:41.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 17:23 (Ref:803930)   #44
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
does that mean you organise veterans?
I try Andy, but the only veterans I deal with tend to be drivers dads and they can prove to be very cantankerous [or should that be KATANGArous ?]
Anybody confused by the above, see KD's 8 1/2 minute thread
Old 4 Dec 2003, 17:44 (Ref:803944)   #45
kartingdad
Veteran

Thats not a bad effort for you Diz...
Old 4 Dec 2003, 19:25 (Ref:804013)   #46
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your going off the point totally KD and dhart. Nobody was disputing the effort anyone puts into what they do. In fact, you seem to have misplaced some of the fundamentals.

1st. I didn't say they should write garb about drivers finishing 22nd. I said they should cover the whole race in greater detail. Does 3 in-accurate lines in Autosport constitute "Good reporting for the kids" as you put it? Let people know it's happening. Our very own 'SWIFT' does a better job in his race reports for our news letter than the so called journo's.

and

2nd. It's quite a conceited attitude to think that the people at the front work any harder than those at the back. I agree in some cases this may be so, but if anything, those at the back are trying harder as they have a steeper hill to climb to get to the front. When your at the front and winning, I not saying it isn't hard work maintaining that level, but you know what is required to win. How many times have we seen someone try and try to get that first win and once it comes, they are regular winners. It's like finding that bit extra, the secret. Everybody is trying hard to get there lads.

And just to add. Don't forget. Without all those people that "don't deserve a mention" in 22nd place, there wouldn't be a Championship. Anyone that makes the effort to get out there and give it a go instead of just talking about it deserves praise. Not only for driving, it takes a lot of time and effort to keep on top of a race car.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 20:31 (Ref:804063)   #47
kartingdad
Veteran

Walshy,

I'm not suggesting that the front runners work any harder than folk further back. In fact I'm sure they, in the majority of cases work harder with less resources.

The point i was trying to make was that in order to maximise profile you have to work hard in creating 'a story to tell' for the mags.

It doesn't always work, but just look at the newspapers in general to see what hits the headlines. It's not al;ways the best story, but a story that is presented in such a way as to cause interest to the reader.
I don't think anyone was saying 'we work harder than you because we are at the front', and in fact I am upset that you think that is our attitude.

Swifty writes excellent reports for our newsletter, but as far as the newsletter goes, the more words the merrier.With the greatest of respect, I don't know how he drives and writes such good reports, but ask hinm to comment on a 2cv race as well - forget it. Swifty writes from the heart (sorry dhart!) as he is involved, but he couldn't possibly know all the personalities, stories from ALL the races could he?
National mags sell on content that is interesting to the general bloke. How many times do you read a report of a clubbie at Lydenn or mondello park. If your like me, never. I'll bet you only by the comics primarily to see if you've got a mention after a race.

The journo's have a bad job really, trying to please every competitor in every race. Just cannot happen.

Anyway, i'm off to have my tea, otherwise I could blather on for hours, but I hope you get my drift.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 21:09 (Ref:804093)   #48
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Walshy,Anyway, i'm off to have my tea, otherwise I could blather on for hours, but I hope you get my drift.
n.b. for our Southern readers, he means Dinner
Old 4 Dec 2003, 21:33 (Ref:804114)   #49
dhart
Racer

Conceited is a bit harsh! although i do think the people at the front DO work harder, thats why they are at the front!Every driver i have run since i stoped racing has won a race and only one had previous race experience, now they all started at the back so i know what its like at both ends of the grid. Conceited is adj"excessively proud of oneself" whilst sometimes pleased i am not excessive and a look at Adlams recent record on another thread reminds you that someone is maybe trying a bit harder.,
Nobody thinks less of jurnos than me, but the fact is that after years of **** in the comics this year the reports HAVE been good - for the reason that the racings been good and worth reporting on, IF THAT HELPS THE KIDS GET DOSH AND MOVE UPWARDS - GREAT!
Diz echos my point that a/sport etc do fill their pages with dross , but they are lazy ,and those that know that feed them easy page fillers and they use it! Other hacks will write about you if you organise a free drive, the rather poor article in motorsport proved that,maybe if you offer M Pye a ride in your missfire stricken car he will write a comedy slot on your shed.
The point i would make is that i dont give a sh!t what some hack writes,id rather they left us alone completely, im only interested in winning, why do you so desperatly want to be in Autosport? Swift in the newsletter is great, surely that fills your gap,
Old 4 Dec 2003, 21:49 (Ref:804129)   #50
kartingdad
Veteran

I agree dhart, second place is first loser. As first loser, as a competitor you have to ask a very hard question. Why?
Actually, the questions easy, it's the answer thats hard to respond to honestly.

In our experience it's nearly always, 'I wasn't good enough'. From there it's not rocket science to realise that you must try harder.

The only problem is with racing is that it generally means more track time, better tyres, better equipment, etc..

The answer still remains the same.. must try harder. If that means trying harder to find money, tyres, resources - so be it.

You just have to do what it takes to win. If thats what you want to do, I mean REALLY what you want to do, you will find a way.
Unfortunately, most of us have mortgages, council taxes, food and other stuff to pay for. Just think yourselves lucky you don't have a young pretender (or two) to try and help out.
On the other hand think yourself blessed that you DO have a young pretender (or two) to help out!!

Well i'm off for my pudding now (or dessert in Diz speak) before it all gets a bit heavy.