Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:55 (Ref:804208)   #51
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with dhart and kd: the weekly "comics" will always report on the battles up at the front and if these guys use this publicity to go onto bigger and better things, then good luck to them! Surely in this case it's worked! As for the rest of us, well do we really compete to see our names in print? I think not. Yes, I know that to see "our" races reported in depth would be fantastic but in reality I think a pipe dream. To mentioned in a report you either have to
a) finish on the podium
or
b)arrive at Old Hall upside down, backwards and 10 feet off the ground.

Now, I'd rather be the former rather than the latter. I throughly enjoy composing my scribblings for our own newsletter and I'm delighted you all enjoy them so much. I will try and mention everyone on the grid because I feel that our newsletter is the correct meduium to do this. As dhart mentioned we've all been at the back at some time or other so perhaps a club publication is the best way to publicise their efforts? As to kd's comments about second being the first of the losers, well I guess harsh but fair springs to mind. I suppose it comes down to the old chestnut of why do we compete? Only you can answer that, but speaking personally, I race because I believe that I've got the same chance of winning as anybody else sat on the grid and perhaps more importantly because I LOVE IT!!!!!!. Now, I'm sure we could all admit to wishing we had more testing, new tyres and a better car but if these things are beyond you for what ever reason just go out there and enjoy yourself!

Oh, by the way kd, writing notes and driving has never been my forte so, I use a dictaphone!! (cue comments that I should use my finger like everyone else!!)
Old 5 Dec 2003, 00:16 (Ref:804266)   #52
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think your missing my point a little.

I am not trying to be a glory hound. It's not about individuals getting press coverage. I am looking at it from a Championship point of view. I am trying to raise the profile of our Championship. By doing that it hopefully gets more people to the circuit and hopefully reduces our race fees. This in turn allows more competitors to allocate their funds to new tyres and testing etc.
And yes kd, I buy Autosport /MN to see how people are going on in the club world. Drivers we have run and drivers that competed in the NWFFC, but the articles are getting smaller and smaller. You go back to the early 90's and Autosport had pages and pages of club meetings. With regards to the Championships profile, that has been covered on another thread.

On the subject of trying harder, I am trying hard not to throw the 'c' word at you again dhart. How do you know how hard someone is trying or not? You don't know what each individual is doing to get on the track. Everyone has their own story and you can't just say that because their not winning, they are not trying hard enough. As seasoned as you are, you know how many things have to come together to get the package complete and you will also know that running on limited resources makes the task all the harder. It's alright to say that you must try harder to find the resources and if it isn't happening, then you must try even harder. I think rather than trying harder (effort), the word we should be using is 'Perseverance'.

Without dragging this on, the fact is, all the pieces have to come together. Perseverance achieves this. 2nd place doesn't mean your a loser. I mean come on, NWFFC is not life and death stuff, it's a club championship. I do it because I love it and if I get in the position to win races which I want to do then great, but I'll have a lot of fun either way. Giving up and packing it in means your a loser.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 07:26 (Ref:804455)   #53
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You gotta want to win but also be realistic. If grids consisted of drivers that were consitent winners you'd end up with some very small grids. As a spectator of course the front three grab your attention but as many times as not its the guys in 12th to 16th dicing for what, judging by a lot of opinions above, is something not worth covering that provide the real excitement and entertainment.
Anybody that straps themselves in and throws themselves round a track at high speed for my entertainment is a winner in my eyes.
Personally I'd like to read in detail about the whole race and all the associated rivallry's, feuds etc. in fact I'd go as far to say I'd buy an FF racers monthly magazine (and for other series too) that was choc full of detailed info but then I'm a bit sad
Old 5 Dec 2003, 07:52 (Ref:804471)   #54
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just ask Stuart if he thinks second place is first loser. He should know!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:23 (Ref:804565)   #55
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul, we should be able to save you £2.80 every week then as you can stop buying Autosport and read the 2004 Club FF1600 website for all the news and gossip in all the championships in FULL detail. Not just the podium but all the way down the field.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:39 (Ref:804574)   #56
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jobs a good un...but I'm so hopelessly addicted I think I'm past saving

Last edited by PaulSands; 5 Dec 2003 at 10:40.