Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2258419)   #1
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Not so perfect Peter" with Wayne Webster

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...006016,00.html

Last edited by billy bigtime; 27 Jul 2008 at 08:17.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2258424)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there anything left in the book after that?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Jul 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2258425)   #3
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

They may go back to his earlier marriages where things were a little more "interesting".
Old 27 Jul 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2258440)   #4
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime

They may go back to his earlier marriages where things were a little more "interesting".
"Interesting" is a good word, the point is what is to be achieved by tarnishing the reputation of one of the countries most popular sportsman by dragging out all his past misdemeanours?
Oh that's right money. Well done Wayne, spend it wisely.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2258458)   #5
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah no point in dragging up anymore of his past that may not been so perfect I am sure everybody has done stuff in the past we are not too proud of, the only differece is we are not well known!
Nearly 2 years after he left us,all the crap is coming out, for chrissakes let it go people, lets just talk about some of the positive things he did in life!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2258460)   #6
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X05
... for chrissakes let it go people, lets just talk about some of the positive things he did in life!
Agreed, there were a lot more positives than negatives to look back at.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2258465)   #7
A9X05
Racer

Quote:

Like to fill us in? I think Bev squashed all of that crap! Second thoughts its none of our business! We dont need to drag all that up again!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2258468)   #8
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Like to fill us in? I think Bev squashed all of that crap! Second thoughts its none of our business! We dont need to drag all that up again!
What I'm talking about happened before Bev was on the scene but it seems the truth is not allowed by the "Peter Perfect Precious", only over exaggerated positives.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2258472)   #9
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And is there anything in there that we don't already know from reading the Bill Tuckey book?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2258475)   #10
A9X05
Racer

Quote:
What I'm talking about happened before Bev was on the scene but it seems the truth is not allowed by the "Peter Perfect Precious", only over exaggerated positives.
Yeah his former MISS WORLD came out after 30 years (yeah right) on a so called Aussie current affairs show and accused him of doin the wife bashing thing. Strange how nothing was heard about it until then, or since ! Bev spent 28 years with him and said on the same program that she had never had any dramas of the sort!
I think MISS WORLD was also trying to cash in on the Brock Gravy train but in this case failed big time!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2258476)   #11
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was a fan of Peter Brock because he wasn't perfect.
I was not old enough to appreciate his many bathurst victories, instead I became a fan when I was 11 or 12, in the early 1990's. I hardly saw him win a race, but you know what, I didn't really care. To me the way he presented himself to his fans was wonderful, and I spoke with him on many occassions and he was always generous with his time.

I have read "The Rise & Fall of Peter Brock" and it tells the story of another side of Peter Brock, and Bev for that matter. He was not Peter Perfect, he was Peter Brock. We all have our demons, we all have our faults, we all have things we are not good at. Peter Brock was very good at racing cars, and looking after his fans.

I am not adverse to hearing about his bad points, he was a complex human being. I will buy the book because I'm interested in the story it has to tell. We all make mistakes in our lives - it's a shame though he's not around to put his slant on the topic - he was always good at making something good out of something bad.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2258487)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually the interest in the Peter Brock story would be an analysis and understanding as to how he managed to galvanise his teams around him.. for when everything was totally rooted, they really stepped up and followed him

Read the story in AMC about the '87 Rothmans car, and the '87 Bathurst win... the team put themselves into personal debt and whatever, salvaged bits, went for a time without knowing if they had a gig...

... how do you breed that loyalty?

Much more interesting from a learning perspective than how many notches there are in the bedpost....

But that wouldnt sell too many books for Mr Webster now would it? Maybe in the management learning stream.. an MBA course...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Jul 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2258493)   #13
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah his former MISS WORLD came out after 30 years (yeah right) on a so called Aussie current affairs show and accused him of doin the wife bashing thing. Strange how nothing was heard about it until then, or since ! Bev spent 28 years with him and said on the same program that she had never had any dramas of the sort!
I think MISS WORLD was also trying to cash in on the Brock Gravy train but in this case failed big time!
sit down with people from that time A9X, and you will learn a bit more. I admired brocky for driving skill, his point 05 campaing, but he had a past.
And , yes mate,Miss W , she was spot on. well before Bev came on the scene.
Not matter what you do, you cannot escape your past.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2258502)   #14
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter wasa public person. He was famous and lived life in font of the camera's. He knew his indiscretions would come out one day - I just find it poor form to do it in the wake of his death... But, thats the media for you.

I do find it poor form that someone would place something like this "gleefully" on a public forum. I'll attack the post and not the poster here, but thats really **** poor. I'm sure someone like yourself would NEVER have done anything wrong, Billy.... ever, right?

Get over it....
Old 27 Jul 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2258503)   #15
350LH
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
350LH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a snore, why is it we need to know every detail of his life? The guy was a bloody good driver and surprise, surprise he (like all of us) had failings...

I'm sure most people, if they had a microscope put on their life would have some unsavory things uncovered...
Old 27 Jul 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2258509)   #16
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"As long-time teammate John Harvey is quick to point out, Peter Brock was only human. "
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2258588)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Read the story in AMC about the '87 Rothmans car, and the '87 Bathurst win... the team put themselves into personal debt and whatever, salvaged bits, went for a time without knowing if they had a gig...
Pretty amazing story in AMC about the 87 win.

At least in the article mentioned by billy smalltime, almost everything written was already noted in Bev Brock's book. Nothing new there.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 00:59 (Ref:2258753)   #18
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bev

Quote:
Then again, Bev looks like she could hold a bull out to....well she certainly weren't no anorexic, Miss World candidate, shrinking violet...if you get my drift
Old 28 Jul 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2258759)   #19
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought this was a Motorsports forum, not a social gossip column. Whatever Peter did away from the circuit has nothing to do with this forum, why is this thread here or allowed to stay here ???????????????????????
He was one of the all time best racing drivers, anything else is irrelevant to this forum.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:20 (Ref:2258768)   #20
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
Peter wasa public person. He was famous and lived life in font of the camera's. He knew his indiscretions would come out one day - I just find it poor form to do it in the wake of his death... But, thats the media for you.

I do find it poor form that someone would place something like this "gleefully" on a public forum. I'll attack the post and not the poster here, but thats really **** poor. I'm sure someone like yourself would NEVER have done anything wrong, Billy.... ever, right?

Get over it....
All I did was point members to a story that anyone in world can read. Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:23 (Ref:2258769)   #21
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain
I thought this was a Motorsports forum, not a social gossip column. Whatever Peter did away from the circuit has nothing to do with this forum, why is this thread here or allowed to stay here ???????????????????????
He was one of the all time best racing drivers, anything else is irrelevant to this forum.
Not correct. This topic is about a book about Peters life, not his racing exploits. It explodes the myth that Peter was an all round ripper guy.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2258770)   #22
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Not correct. This topic is about a book about Peters life, not his racing exploits. It explodes the myth that Peter was an all round ripper guy.
As I said, "This is a motor racing forum", if you want to discuss other peoples' lives, find a social forum or a book review forum.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:34 (Ref:2258773)   #23
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
We'll let the moderators decide. I think a book about Peters life fits in to the definition of this forum.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2258813)   #24
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure, he was flawed. Deeply, in some regards. He was a great ambassador for his sponsors, was passionate about the environment, road safety, helping kids with disadvantage.

He was alleged to have been know to knock his earlier wife about; I first heard that one in the late 70s. He had some strange personal / spiritual beliefs. He would sit for hours and talk to fans. He would counsel total strangers who were having problems.

He could cut down a journalist who asked what he considered a dumb question.

He was a complicated man, no lie. I went from being a teenaged fan to knowing him a bit as a motorsport fringe-dweller. Went from adoring him to being cynical about him, to appreciating his incredible talent, not just as a driver but as a leader and deal-maker.

I'll miss him forever, while remembering the careful PR machine that was Peter Brock.

I can tell you about racing heroes who did much worse than Peter was alleged to have done. But I won't. This isn't the place.

Kramer
Old 28 Jul 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2258832)   #25
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big deal.....he was a very famous, good looking sportsman who liked the girls. Where is the 'news' in that??

Just yet another story written by someone that wants to make money off the back of his departed 'friend' by exposing some of his very normal human weaknesses.
Would he have written those stories while his friend was alive? Of course not.
Nice 'friend'....kick him in the nuts when he is not around any longer!

Last edited by touring fan01; 28 Jul 2008 at 09:05.
Closed Thread