Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 6 Mar 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2410251)   #51
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now it seems clear that Dan Clarke drove because he brought money to the team... after reading that article where it says GBR get money from drivers.

Bit disappointing really, as I've been told that A1 teams aren't meant to charge for drives - but if it means the team survives, it's better than nothing.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2410254)   #52
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ Also interesting to see they were close to landing a title sponsor - perhaps it wasn't only the recession that put them off, also the fact that GBR missed Zandvoort...

I just hope we can land a sponsor this off-season, as we've never had many sponsors anyway and this season all we have is Metro who is aout "media partner" and Opus, a design agency... Airwaves was for 2 rounds only and Greeneye for one.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2411745)   #53
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just can't see it to be honest. I would have thought a lot of British support is behind Adam Carroll this season. The British team need to catch up quickly
Old 9 Mar 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2411785)   #54
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely they should be able to find one-off sponsors for Brands.

With such a short season, having to miss Zandvoort, then the DNFs in Sepang, and Watts missing Taupo, and suddenly the season is gone for them.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2412354)   #55
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suddenly the season is gone for all!
Old 10 Mar 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2413064)   #56
play mate
Rookie

play mate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm disappointed at how the team has been run this season, as already mentioned, they've hardly had any decent sponsors on the car during the four seasons, and why? Surely as a leading motorsport nation there should be some companies who would want to back the team, however small?

Team GBR should be the best team on the grid and take a leaf out of the likes of Ireland and Switzerland. They pay their drivers and do well.
Bring back Jarvis and Kerr, or even raise some money and sign up Anthony Davidson.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2413110)   #57
Mak
Veteran

[QUOTE=play mate;2413064]I'm disappointed at how the team has been run this season, as already mentioned, they've hardly had any decent sponsors on the car during the four seasons, and why? Surely as a leading motorsport nation there should be some companies who would want to back the team, however small?

Team GBR should be the best team on the grid and take a leaf out of the likes of Ireland and Switzerland. They pay their drivers and do well.
Bring back Jarvis and Kerr, or even raise some money and sign up Anthony Davidson.[/QUOTE

Not too many teams that have actual sponsors, most are just enthusiastic benifactors. Maybe they should off been spending more money on the commercial aspects of the series instead of paying all the hangers onners!
Old 10 Mar 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2413213)   #58
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by play mate View Post
Bring back Jarvis and Kerr, or even raise some money and sign up Anthony Davidson.
The problem with that is that the money needs to come from somewhere. If, for whatever reason the team cannot raise sufficient sponsorship (and do seem number of teams within A1GP that can't), then obviously compromises need to be made. Personally, I feel that Danny Watts is on a par with Kerr at least and as such a simple change of drivers is unlikely to lead to a significant increase in performance.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 02:38 (Ref:2413353)   #59
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a few teams that have been able to find funding as well, e.g. NZL, RSA, MEX, IRL, MAL and to a lesser extent NED. The question why GBR hasn't is therefore a valid one, especially considering the Regent Street parade and large crowds that Brands gets.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2413576)   #60
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
Audi won't let Jarvis do A1GP, which rules him out. Personally I think Danny Watts is just as good as Kerr and as a cheerful, let's get on with it sort of person may be better for team morale.

I like the idea of giving Anthony Davidson a run. He's another driver who has a very positive attitude and interviews well, apart from obviously being fast and very well able to develop a car.

The biggest mistake Team GBR ever made was letting James Robinson go as Race Engineer. Since he switched to Switzerland, Neel Jani has pretty much been the man to beat.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2413582)   #61
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
There are a few teams that have been able to find funding as well, e.g. NZL, RSA, MEX, IRL, MAL and to a lesser extent NED. The question why GBR hasn't is therefore a valid one, especially considering the Regent Street parade and large crowds that Brands gets.

I think some of these teams have wealthy benifactors and what needs to be asked is why has A1GP and teams been unable to find commercial partners.

PS Strider the quote you refered to is not mine.

IMO GB has a large pool of talented drivers which they could draw from and be successful(not neccessary to pay large payments to "superstars") unless it attracts the profitable commercial backing. I think Danny is a good choice. Main problem with team seems to be lack of consistency which is probably a result of no finacial resourses and stability.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2413671)   #62
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think most of GBR's problems are down to poor moral & horrible management. An obvious sign is the people who have left who are of high calibre...

To name a few:
- John Surtees
- Arden
- James Robinson
- Robbie Kerr
- Oliver Jarvis

I'm not saying you can't make changes, but you don't breed success by letting excellent people go.

I know most teams are subsidised by A1, but GBR should be one of the easiest franchises to run at break even (at least).
Old 11 Mar 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2413689)   #63
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
PS Strider the quote you referred to is not mine.
In that case, sincere apologies. I must have misedited the square brackets somewhere.

PS I've just had a look and the original quote came from play mate. Sorry again.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2413721)   #64
diabloA1
Racer

diabloA1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think some of these teams have wealthy benifactors...
If you're referring to Kiwi3's list: NZL, RSA, MEX, IRL, MAL, NED you can definitely cross out MAL.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2413794)   #65
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab View Post
I think most of GBR's problems are down to poor moral & horrible management. An obvious sign is the people who have left who are of high calibre...

To name a few:
- John Surtees
- Arden
- James Robinson
- Robbie Kerr
- Oliver Jarvis

I'm not saying you can't make changes, but you don't breed success by letting excellent people go.

I know most teams are subsidised by A1, but GBR should be one of the easiest franchises to run at break even (at least).
Er. to my knowledge, GBR chose to discontinue using Arden themselves.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 02:20 (Ref:2414048)   #66
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
I think that's Kebab's point, perhaps they shouldn't have.

About my point, regardless of being benefactors or proper commercial sponsors, fact is GBR have not found any long term ones. There have been plenty of wealthy benefactors of British motorsport in the past.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2415234)   #67
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab View Post

To name a few:
- John Surtees
- Arden
- James Robinson
- Robbie Kerr
- Oliver Jarvis

As far as I'm aware, John Surtees is no longer involved because he was just draining money from A1 to fund his sons racing career.

Arden may be gone, but all of the guys working on the car, are the original Arden guys.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2417336)   #68
Andrew Volcker
Rookie

Andrew Volcker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard the same as Dave. James Robinson and John Surtees accounted for 25% of the entire operating budget and therefore had to go.

Sponsorship has been difficult for all teams but GB faces real difficulty with sponsors with the lack of terrestrial TV. Now they also face the difficulty of getting sponsorship amidst a recession.

IMO the greatest loss is Oliver Jarvis who is now tied up with DTM. Hopefully he will come back and take the team to the front of the grid again.

I also think in reference to the above about management, GBR is bloody lucky to have the people in place it does now, otherwise this game would have been up long ago.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2417346)   #69
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Volcker View Post
I have heard the same as Dave. James Robinson and John Surtees accounted for 25% of the entire operating budget and therefore had to go.

Sponsorship has been difficult for all teams but GB faces real difficulty with sponsors with the lack of terrestrial TV. Now they also face the difficulty of getting sponsorship amidst a recession.

IMO the greatest loss is Oliver Jarvis who is now tied up with DTM. Hopefully he will come back and take the team to the front of the grid again.

I also think in reference to the above about management, GBR is bloody lucky to have the people in place it does now, otherwise this game would have been up long ago.
Agreed Andrew however there are other drivers up to the task< Danny being one however I expect due to bringing money the other drivers used are not the most ideal> Drivers like Ben Clucas who have been trying to get a run are continually ignored>
Old 17 Mar 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2417403)   #70
Andrew Volcker
Rookie

Mac - I think you're right about other drivers being up to the job and don't get me wrong, I think Danny Watts has done a very good job within tricky circumstances. I just think we should all get behind and support the only national British racing team we've got - a major problem is the level of exposure Team GBR get and we can all help with that if we properly support them.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2417406)   #71
Andrew Volcker
Rookie

Sorry Mak!
Old 17 Mar 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2417484)   #72
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard that GBR shutting the doors and going away
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2417540)   #73
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when has Danny Watts been able to bring any great sums of money to a ride?
Old 17 Mar 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2417591)   #74
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid The Manager View Post
I've heard that GBR shutting the doors and going away
And off course you can back this up with a link.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2417619)   #75
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No link, heard it from a supplier chasing them for money