Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Sep 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3673724)   #251
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with most posters here. The slow zone system is much better, but they have been resorting to these useless FCYs too much since the Nurburgring race.
I really hope it doesn't turn into anything like the IMSA races.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 18:01 (Ref:3673748)   #252
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Has anybody enjoyed the WEC this year? Not me. Its been disappointing overall. The 2016 LMP1 cars are all ugly to be honest and don't appeal to me at all this year. I enjoyed LMP1 in 2015 far more than this year. The Porsche is bland looking. The 2016 Audi R18 is hideous in every aspect. And I dont even like Toyota going from blue to red.

LMP2 is an Alpine racing blowout as they got one of those super silvers that the gentleman's can't compete with.

GTE is a BIG disapointment. Sort of tired of seeing AF Corse vs Aston Martin all the time. The Aston has always been my least favorite GTE/GTLM car. No real Porsche presence either and the UK-based Fords have really stunk up the joint. The Ganassi team really needs to shake up the driver lineup on the WEC side of things. Hopefully without tampering with the IMSA line up though which has been solid.

For me personally I sort of written off WEC 2016. I just really don't care. And thats ok. IMSA and Blancpain have had plenty of great races and broadcasts to get by on that! Lets hope WEC 2017 is huge improvement over 16 on the issues that I brought up.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3673749)   #253
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Has anybody enjoyed the WEC this year? Not me. Its been disappointing overall. The 2016 LMP1 cars are all ugly to be honest and don't appeal to me at all this year. I enjoyed LMP1 in 2015 far more than this year. The Porsche is bland looking. The 2016 Audi R18 is hideous in every aspect. And I dont even like Toyota going from blue to red.

LMP2 is an Alpine racing blowout as they got one of those super silvers that the gentleman's can't compete with.

GTE is a BIG disapointment. Sort of tired of seeing AF Corse vs Aston Martin all the time. The Aston has always been my least favorite GTE/GTLM car. No real Porsche presence either and the UK-based Fords have really stunk up the joint. The Ganassi team really needs to shake up the driver lineup on the WEC side of things. Hopefully without tampering with the IMSA line up though which has been solid.

For me personally I sort of written off WEC 2016. I just really don't care. And thats ok. IMSA and Blancpain have had plenty of great races and broadcasts to get by on that! Lets hope WEC 2017 is huge improvement over 16 on the issues that I brought up.
I tend to agree with you, alot of things are starting to turn me off motorsport in general, constant bop, politics and spec formulas.

I do wonder if Toyota will ever be able to compete with Audi & Porsche on pure pace until the next set of rule changes.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3673751)   #254
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The Porsche is bland looking. The 2016 Audi R18 is hideous in every aspect. And I dont even like Toyota going from blue to red.
sadly, agree on all points.

Quote:
Some good racing behind the leader though ... until Manor blows up

Quote:
GTE is a BIG disapointment. Sort of tired of seeing AF Corse vs Aston Martin all the time.
Kind of surprised by GTE Pro ... I don't see how everything can go so badly in that class, which is full of what should be excellent cars.

I have actually enjoyed every race ... though the ending of LM took a couple days to digest. otherwise, nto such a bad season. Not the best ever, but that is reality.

if we always live in fantasy of a better past and a better future we miss life. People are going to read about ... hah, showed my age ---- people are going to watch video or maybe telepathic reports about this season and appreciate it for things many of us miss ... just as we read books about past seasons and series and never think "Oh, the BoP was screwed, the politics ruined that year for me ... "

We all cherish the Can-Am series, but wasn't that basically a McLaren playground for eight years or so until Porsche arrived and killed it? (well, yeah, fuel shortages and rising cost Actually killed it but ... ) But we all love the stuff.

I try to see the present through the same filter of nostalgia through which we see the past and the same filter of hope through which we imagine the future ... these are "The Good Olde days" of the future, let's not miss them.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3673756)   #255
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok this race was not that good, but asides from BoP politics, the racing has been ok for me this season
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3673759)   #256
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Has anybody enjoyed the WEC this year?
Me.

But flippancy aside, I understand your point(s) and I would say that this is the least interesting season of the WEC so far. While that doesn't meant I think it has been bad or boring, I find myself thinking and talking more about the issues (fun as that can be at times!) rather than the racing.

But I don't think that's immediately a cause for concern, even if it feels like it compared to previous years. Look at where IMSA was just a couple of years ago, or ELMS two years before that, or FIA GT1 in the same year. To me this year's WEC hasn't come close to those nadirs, and in all three cases the series (IWSC, ELMS, Blancpain) have bounced back and are entertaining again for me. It's pretty much expected for a series to have its peaks and troughs, and if you really can't wait for the "good times" to return there's more than enough series to follow in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs
if we always live in fantasy of a better past and a better future we miss life. People are going to read about ... hah, showed my age ---- people are going to watch video or maybe telepathic reports about this season and appreciate it for things many of us miss ... just as we read books about past seasons and series and never think "Oh, the BoP was screwed, the politics ruined that year for me ... "

I try to see the present through the same filter of nostalgia through which we see the past and the same filter of hope through which we imagine the future ... these are "The Good Olde days" of the future, let's not miss them.
Good point Maelochs, the arguments and discord of years gone by tend to be left unwritten, or in some exceptional cases, take on narratives of their own. However I do wonder if/how this will change now that these conversations are effectively recorded for posterity.

Last edited by J Jay; 18 Sep 2016 at 19:12.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3673763)   #257
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me, neither ELMS or WEC have been very good. But they haven't been bad and I'd rather watch these than other motorsport. I just think WEC needs to have a serious look at the FCY procedures before it turns into a lottery every race.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:39 (Ref:3673771)   #258
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think COTA was a boring race for the most part. The layout is nice for driving, but that doesn't mean good racing. I think Fuji may be better. It always puts on a great race (aside the wash out in 2013), even if some here think that track is boring. At least it has a huge straight and a few fast turns with room for side by side action. COTA is too busy imo. Turns 12-15 are pointless. Extend the straight a little bit and connect it to turn 15, then just run turns 15-19 before the start finish. Too much going on there.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:39 (Ref:3673772)   #259
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've loved every second of it. I can't get enough of it.
Sure, the cars have looked a lot better in past years, but every year seems to give us higher levels of technology and decreasing levels in looks. The presentation and professionalism of all the teams remains fantastically high. The way the series is broadcast is brilliant. I'm still giving the whole show a 10/10.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3673798)   #260
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
I've loved every second of it. I can't get enough of it.
Sure, the cars have looked a lot better in past years, but every year seems to give us higher levels of technology and decreasing levels in looks. The presentation and professionalism of all the teams remains fantastically high. The way the series is broadcast is brilliant. I'm still giving the whole show a 10/10.
I agree. The cars are a bit awkward looking now, in some ways but, that underlying beauty is still in there somewhere. Yes, they are extremely high-tech which makes it very interesting.

Can't wait to see the refinements in design in the future where the 'beauty' returns while retaining the high-efficiency and performance.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3673801)   #261
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Also, in regards to COTA and the Audi 'master electronic/electrical switch problems', Hindy says they do a 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' reboot and things work again. I don't know if they run Windows in the cars (doubt it) but doing the reboot sounds very feasible.

Years ago, I asked a Data Acquisition Tech how many Local Area Networks there were in the cars? With all the data monitoring, control, etc., I was curious about the architecture of the systems about a decade ago.

She replied, "I don't think we have a LAN running but the gearbox/tranny is a peripheral in our system kind of like a printer is on your computer."

I would like to hear how integrated and advanced the software has become in these cars.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3673803)   #262
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still watch the races. I can't say the series is boring, because practically every race there is lots of drama and some very unexpected things happen.

But there are issues with the series, which lower the quality and the authenticity for me. Doesn't mean the races are not interesting, but instead not as "valuable". Kinda like the artificial DRS solution to the lack of overtaking problem in F1.

Yet, I enjoy watching the high-tech LMP1s race. The on-boards are really cool. Aesthetically wise things are a bit weird, but I wouldn't call the cars ugly. They are purpose-built, and look rather different from each other, which I think is good. I'm actually pretty happy with the looks of the Porsche. The other two can benefit from a wider track, but that's up to the regulations. I'll still respect and enjoy what the teams bring to the track.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 22:08 (Ref:3673823)   #263
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I need clarification on something. The #1 Porsche took a splash of fuel on pit road before reaching the podium. I'd have to believe it was because of them being short on fuel for post race fuel sampling during tech inspection. I thought that as of the end of the cool down lap you needed that much fuel in the car.

Granted IMO, it's a pointless rule since Shell supplies one spec of fuel for each type of fuel, but if Porsche had to top off in the pits post race, isn't that sort of illegal?
Old 19 Sep 2016, 00:06 (Ref:3673862)   #264
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans was good. I mean okay TBH it was the second most boring of the decade so far (2013 being the low point of course) and there wasn't really anything 'classic' apart from the shocking final moments, but that event gets graded on another level than all the rest, even the worst of LMs are good. I enjoyed it still.

Spa was good because of the bizarre 1970's quality in it, but that seems to have been an odd one-off occurrence?

Silverstone I don't remember anything about except Porsche crashing and Audi dying. Or was it this year? I guess.

The rest of the season I haven't watched but the overall result sheets seem fairly boring.

If there was Sebring and/or PLM there in between (/ something else not clone 6 hour F1 race) it would make the incentive to watch and memorability of the event afterwards clearer, even if the on track action itself didn't end up being so great after all.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 02:44 (Ref:3673924)   #265
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Le Mans was good. I mean okay TBH it was the second most boring of the decade so far (2013 being the low point of course) and there wasn't really anything 'classic' apart from the shocking final moments, but that event gets graded on another level than all the rest, even the worst of LMs are good. I enjoyed it still.

Spa was good because of the bizarre 1970's quality in it, but that seems to have been an odd one-off occurrence?

Silverstone I don't remember anything about except Porsche crashing and Audi dying. Or was it this year? I guess.

The rest of the season I haven't watched but the overall result sheets seem fairly boring.

If there was Sebring and/or PLM there in between (/ something else not clone 6 hour F1 race) it would make the incentive to watch and memorability of the event afterwards clearer, even if the on track action itself didn't end up being so great after all.
LM was the best race of the year. The back and forth between Toyota and Porsche was an event in itself. Maybe not a classic, but not many modern races are. I don't see how a Sebring or PLM would change anything. Imo, your hang up is they all are 6hr races at tracks you don't approve of because the run off or tilke design. Sebring 2013 wasn't memorable. If Porsche and Toyota were there would it be better?

You admit to not watching the races, but they were boring because of the end results? Okay, sure.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 07:51 (Ref:3674004)   #266
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans was the best race, but utterly heartbreaking. It may be remembered for the wrong reasons. I think the problem WEC has this year is that the opening races of 2015 were tremendous dog fights for 6 hours. We haven't had that this year and it has resulted in it being less fun. I also agree that it doesn't matter what the track is either - none of the races have been as good as 2016.

But, I don't think that's actually a problem. So what, a series had a bit of an off year? Every other series does! F1 has had about 10 in a row! And BTCC has had a few, etc. WEC 2016 isn't as fun as 2015, but it's still a fun series and I'll still continue watching.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 09:03 (Ref:3674037)   #267
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the races have been pretty much what you would expect six hour races to be. There is plenty of time for the faster cars to find their way to the front and then the gaps start to grow. But it hasn't been like that in every race.

One thing that makes the races a bit more of a procession is the use of FCY. Safety car used to bunch them up but that doesn't happen anymore. For better or for worse.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 11:50 (Ref:3674063)   #268
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Busy day at work. Calculated average lap times for drivers. Tried to remove pit stops, FCYs and other slow laps from the data.

Code:
LMP1
1.  8    Audi        Duval         1.49,5
2.  8    Audi        Jarvis        1.49,5
3.  8    Audi        Di Grassi     1.49,7
4.  7    Audi        Fässler       1.49,8
5.  7    Audi        Treluyer      1.49,9
6.  7    Audi        Lotterer      1.50,0
7.  1    Porsche     Bernhard      1.50,0
8.  1    Porsche     Webber        1.50,1
9.  1    Porsche     Hartley       1.50,3
10. 6    Toyota      Conway        1.50,3