Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jun 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3745364)   #26
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars in trees thing really did happen...

Old 20 Jun 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3745440)   #27
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
So who recalls the wednesday night race meetings on the short circuit? I was living in Lincoln then and discovering Cadwell for the first time and realising I could knock off from work and watch racing was a real bonus. Not much has changed there really- I do miss the ancient pedestrian bridge at Hall Bends and I preferred the track crossing over to Coppice than the new bridge but this apart, it is as delightful as ever .

But when I look at my pictures of how close I could get trackside at Silverstone and Donington in the 70s and 80s I could weep....
Old 20 Jun 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3745515)   #28
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great weekend/circuit to make my belated 2017 Season Debut! Almost inclined to retire from the rest of the season, because it will be hard to better ...

Went okay in the Front Engined FJ. Pretty average quali, having not sat in any racecar since October, I was gradually getting quicker, despite some brake issues, but the session end came round somewhat quicker than I'd expected! Nett result 11th on grid for my first run Cadwell in the Gemini. Saturday's race was great, confidence slowly came back, and I was eventually able to work my way up to 4th overall, (but first in Division B - my own unofficial designation to denote cars without Ford engines!) - I was delighted and very pleased with a best lap of 1.48.9. Sunday's race wasn't quite so 'heroic' ... having to lift off at the start and take to the grass to get around a car that failed to get away, putting me practically to the back, and I took too long to get back past them with the car slightly missing at the top end, I eventually ending up 5th (2nd in Div B!), with my best lap a tad slower than Saturday's best.

Unfortunately not so good in the Triumph TR5 ... first time out since Oulton, after much work by Delta and crew, clutch issues seem to be solved, and engine much cleaner through the rev-range, but then missing above 5000rpm, where much of the performance should be of course, despite a torquey spec. But with it having been on the dyno at 6pm on Friday night (yes, really!), I was delighted to be out at all and I finally had some brand new Yokos to play with. Quali was fun, if not a great performance ... Saturday's race unfortunately resulted in a DNF though ... I'd seen tyre smoke in the mirrors after left-handers, but a touch of rubbing is not unusual in this car with brand new tyres, this however developed a bit more so despite the car handling normally I had just slowed to a 'let's just get to the finish' pace, when I got "black and oranged" ... and on that 'in' lap the tyre finally cried enough. Thanks to the marshals and recovery crew for bringing me back in, guess I should have given it up a bit earlier - sorry! It transpired that we've managed to pull one mounting for the rear trailing arm from the chassis ... must have been all the grip from those new tyres ... (!) ... it's an unheard of failure, especially given that TR chassis are made from girders left over after they finished the Forth Bridge! Delta are investigating ...

Great to be back on track though, lovely weekend, great to catch up with so many people - what a lovely place in weather like that! Same again next year, but 2-3 degrees cooler please!

See you at Brands!
Old 20 Jun 2017, 23:22 (Ref:3745624)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some illustrations to go with HRSTR5's race report.
Attached Thumbnails
1024px_60_HSCC_Cadwell_Park_June_2017-06-17_ONED6015.jpg   1024px_60_HSCC_Cadwell_Park_June_2017-06-17_ONED6050.jpg   1024px_60_HSCC_Cadwell_Park_June_2017-06-17_ONED7492.jpg  

1024px_60_HSCC_Cadwell_Park_June_2017-06-17_ONED7564.jpg  
Old 21 Jun 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3745688)   #30
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Some illustrations to go with HRSTR5's race report.
Thanks Grant! Love the one through the trees!

The TR shot climbing the hill towards Park Corner is taken shortly before my demise ... smokescreen visible!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3745701)   #31
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few shots of the 'Tenthers in the first FJ race:
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC_Cadwell Park_2017_0425_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Cadwell Park_2017_0497_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Cadwell Park_2017_0511_10Tenths.jpg  

HSCC_Cadwell Park_2017_0556_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Cadwell Park_2017_0574_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 21 Jun 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3745708)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Thanks Grant! Love the one through the trees!

The TR shot climbing the hill towards Park Corner is taken shortly before my demise ... smokescreen visible!
As I recall the one through the tress was just after you had gained 2 places in quick succession.

I took the TR shots because of the smoke - it was the first lap I had seen anything but I had noticed you seemed to be slowing a bit. Assumed it might be an engine and heat issue as the smoke started a long way down the straight and following the paddock conversation you had had with Martin.

The smoke started somewhat earlier but as that was the only left hander I could see at the time - and it counts more as a straight really - that it might be tyre smoke didn't occur to me.

I was planning on some slow shutter speed pan shots for the next lap or two .... but you didn't appear.

Loads of shots to process. It's going to take a while but I'll be in touch with a link when ready.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3745724)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
A few shots of the 'Tenthers in the first FJ race:
Nice work Gary.

A two for one shot as well!

The public areas in the shade were quite crowded on Saturday - difficult to get the best spots without obscuring someone's view. So I went out into the fields for the afternoon. Jeff Bloxham was in position for the Ford Falcon incident he told me later but I was too far away and facing the wrong way when it happened.

On Sunday it looked like it might be the same and I had a chat with Jeff as he headed for the shade in the morning. Then discovered I was in the same place as Charlie Wooding for most of the morning and a short period in the afternoon.

Cadwell is such a great track for photography even without accreditation.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3745837)   #34
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Jeff Bloxham was in position for the Ford Falcon incident
...thereby keeping his reputation intact!
Old 23 Jun 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3746251)   #35
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gary

thanx for posting the pictures of me in the Mitter

I had two very good races with it

the rise of the two stroke begins

RuE
Old 24 Jun 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3746411)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
...thereby keeping his reputation intact!
Indeed.

I hinted at that when speaking to him later but he didn't respond. Rushing to another location for the next action as I recall.